Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415 LastLast

Movie's been pushed back to April 23.

https://twitter.com/getFANDOM/status...432300546?s=20

Remix of theme song.

Astonishing Member

62% on Rotten Tomatoes so far.

Pretty good reviews from the MK fans who have seen it so far. Seems to be a pretty good (if not 100% video game accurate) take on the MK mythos.

Actors who played Sonya and Kano getting good reviews.

Warner put the first seven minutes of the film online, legally mind you, in anticipation of this Friday's release.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy_McNichts View Post
    I've always thought a problem with any Mortal Kombat adaptation is the most interesting & compelling characters are the ones with little to do with the main plot, while the actual main heroes (Liu Kang, Sonya, Jax, Johnny Cage) are some the most boring characters in the franchise.
    Liu Kang is questionable but I'd argue against the other three being boring, especially Johnny Cage. The thing is, Scorpion and Sub-Zero being interesting characters and them being appropriate characters for the main leads. Don't forget that people liked the original movie with Liu Kang, Sonya and Johnny as the leads just fine.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Guy_McNichts View Post
    I think Scorpion and Sub-Zero are going to steal the movie...pretty much how it is in the games. Sub-Zero especially looks like a badass in this.
    I've always thought a problem with any Mortal Kombat adaptation is the most interesting & compelling characters are the ones with little to do with the main plot, while the actual main heroes (Liu Kang, Sonya, Jax, Johnny Cage) are some the most boring characters in the franchise.
    Generic boring White male lead is the default for video games though

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Generic boring White male lead is the default for video games though
    Not really.

Ryu (Street Fighter)

Liu Kang and later Cassie Cage (Mortal Kombat)

Kasumi (Dead or Alive)

Jin (Tekken)

Kyo (King of Fighters)

Ryo (Art of Fighting)

Akira (Virtua Fighter)

The guys I listed are all Asian and one white woman. The only white male lead of a fighting game I can think of is Terry from Fatal Fury and I'd argue he isn't boring.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Not really.

Ryu (Street Fighter)

Liu Kang and later Cassie Cage (Mortal Kombat)

Kasumi (Dead or Alive)

Jin (Tekken)

Kyo (King of Fighters)

Ryo (Art of Fighting)

Akira (Virtua Fighter)

The guys I listed are all Asian and one white woman. The only white male lead of a fighting game I can think of is Terry from Fatal Fury and I'd argue he isn't boring.
    Oh, I was referring to some joke about how so many games have those leads from a few years ago. Idk if it's still the same

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Oh, I was referring to some joke about how so many games have those leads from a few years ago. Idk if it's still the same
    My bad. I misread your comment and thought you were talking about fighting games. Sorry for the mistake.

Ultimate Member

My bad. I misread your comment and thought you were talking about fighting games. Sorry for the mistake.
    No problem. I should've been clearer. I think fighting games do reasonably well on the diversity front

Extraordinary Member

Warner put the first seven minutes of the film online, legally mind you, in anticipation of this Friday's release.
    Not gonna lie, this feels exactly like what I thought was all you’d need to do to make a good Mortal Kombat movie; great action scenes, good actors with good direction, and competent cinematography.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

so how is the Kombat going to be handled here in this film? Is everyone immortal? If not, how do the traditional tropes of "finish him/her" come into play?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    so how is the Kombat going to be handled here in this film? Is everyone immortal? If not, how do the traditional tropes of "finish him/her" come into play?
    People who get finished are gonna be dead. Looks like Kabal and Retile gets fatalities done on then. They will he dead though this Retiple can just be a creature of that race and not thee Reptile.

Spoiler free review by Jeremy Jahns.

Jahns is a reviewer that has a taste for movies very close to mine, so i listen to his opinions more times than not. He gave a average score.

As I thought, they sideline Liu Kang for this new dude, Cole, and looks like the guy is boring. Say whatever you want about Liu, but if you going to replace him as the protagonist of this story, at least replace him for someone better.

Well, i'll see it anyways.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.