Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415 LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    The main issue with the AC movie is that it really doesn’t add anything to the universe - it’s using the Edizo games as the template since that’s apparently what all non players thought the series was, Renaissance era. And the fact that they kept the modern day stuff, which even fans of the games are decidedly cool about by this point. So while I think it’s not that bad (it proved to me that Marion Coitlard would be an awesome Monica Rappcini from AIM) it’s not a great ambassador for non players. Which is something most video game movies struggle with.
    Yeah, but that's really a choice the directors and writers made.

Functionally speaking, what's the difference between a comic book movie and video game movie? Both are adapting stories that have been completed, and critiqued by the population at large. They shouldn't be that hard to adapt IMO.

And there are some good video game movies. I thought World of Warcraft did a fine job of introducing characters and telling a largely complete story

Astonishing Member

Because most people at this point seem to assume video game movies will always suck, which is usually stupid.
    I think videogame movies might still have a reputation for being basically cinema junk food, occasionally tasty but without much to offer to the medium or to non-fans, and living in the shadow of other pop culture adaptations. Marvel/DC movies of course are at the top of that food chain, but even the modern Jumanji duology revival, which uses videogame tropes without directly adapting a videogame, made more money than IIRC the entire Resident Evil movie series (which was successful in its own right so we're getting a reboot of it).

I think that 2017's Assassins Creed for example is a lot better than people than some think, at least for fans of the franchise.
    I had a lot of fun with Sonic the Hedgehog and Monster Hunter off the top of my head. And my knowledge of both games was hearsay to nonexistant. Sonic was well reviewed enough and we're getting a sequel. MH not so much but people might be getting tired of Anderson/Jojovich movies.

Anyway I hope Mortal Kombat does great.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildling View Post
    I had a lot of fun with Sonic the Hedgehog and Monster Hunter off the top of my head. And my knowledge of both games was hearsay to nonexistant. Sonic was well reviewed enough and we're getting a sequel. MH not so much but people might be getting tired of Anderson/Jojovich movies.

Anyway I hope Mortal Kombat does great.
    Well, i'm certainly not gonna watch Monster Hunter.

I still need to watch Sonic, tho.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Astonishing Member

Trailer dropped, looks awesome

spoilers:
    well Scorpion 100% isn't possessing Cole or Cole turning into him. There are two shot in the trailer where scorpion and Cole can be seen at the same time. First when Scorpion appears you can see Coles armor. Hes the ones standing in front not Sub Zero. Then when Sub Zero throws Scorpion Cole is in the background inside the octagon. Still could be an ancestor of Coles. Shows up to save him from Bi-Han. Not possession or transformation though
    end of spoilers

Also no secret Johnny Cage role in here. Director said if this movie is a hit and they get a sequel. We could get someone like Ryan Reynolds as Cage. Think he mentioned Scott Atkins too. Though you can afford Atkins even on this budget. Ryan's salary probably be more then the rest the cast combined lol

I took the "he was born with it" line as being a subtly sarcastic remark.
    Along the lines of:

Quasar: Drax the Destroyer? Didn't you use to be taller?
    Cammi: It was a phase. He grew out of it.
    Take my dreams, childish and weak at the seams
    Please don't analyze, please just be there for me

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Am I the only one underwhelmed by the trailer? I mean the fight scenes looked cool and I loved how awesome Sub-Zero looked...but the plot set up seemed really lame. I mean, I'm not looking for Shakespeare here, it's a Mortal Kombat movie after all but it just felt really low budget in some respects.

Because most people at this point seem to assume video game movies will always suck, which is usually stupid. I think that 2017's Assassins Creed for example is a lot better than people than some think, at least for fans of the franchise.
    Movies sucking doesn't mean they will tank, and vice versa. I remember that poor Dredd tanked, and it's a glorious movie. I think Snowpiercer barely broke even.

And then you got movies like the six liveaction movies that use the title of Resident Evil; they're trash that earned more money than Snowpiercer each, and the second half of the series got even more prosperous box office earnings than the first three movies.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Am I the only one underwhelmed by the trailer? I mean the fight scenes looked cool and I loved how awesome Sub-Zero looked...but the plot set up seemed really lame. I mean, I'm not looking for Shakespeare here, it's a Mortal Kombat movie after all but it just felt really low budget in some respects.
    I've seen a few underwhelmed reactions elsewhere, some of them do think the movie doesn't look visually great.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Judging from the trailer, the movie seems too visually bright. I feel like I'm watching a trailer for a YA film.

This trailer should have been narrated by Shang Tsung, not by Sonya Blade or Jax. To give this trailer that otherworldly/mystical feel.
    Last edited by Common Writer; 02-21-2021 at 09:03 PM.

Mighty Member

It isn't just you. I feel more or less the same. It looks very Sci-Fi channel in places. Then again, the original 90's film came across that way as well, and it was actually quite good.

On a Mortal Kombat board I frequent, some posters are treating this like the coming apocalypse. The general consensus among that group seems to be that the trailer completely misses the mark on anything BUT the visuals, and everyone seems to expect it to be terrible. But it's hard to tell whether a group that vocal represents anything more than a vocal minority.

I will say, where I work people are split. The general audience people thought it looked terrible, while the gamers thought it looked great. Not sure what to make of that, and again, tiny sample size that may not mean anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Force League Unlimited View Post
    Movies sucking doesn't mean they will tank, and vice versa. I remember that poor Dredd tanked, and it's a glorious movie. I think Snowpiercer barely broke even.

And then you got movies like the six liveaction movies that use the title of Resident Evil; they're trash that earned more money than Snowpiercer each, and the second half of the series got even more prosperous box office earnings than the first three movies.
    This. Regardless of the ultimate quality of the movie, audiences can be weird and fickle. The Dredd example is perfect. One of the best sci-fi films of the last decade, and it completely bombed. Not because it was bad, but because audiences just didn't get into it or give it a chance.
    Last edited by ZeroBG82; 02-21-2021 at 09:19 PM.

Extraordinary Member

The trailer makes me think that what we’re looking at is an attempt to use a modest budget, a modest cast with only a couple of recognizable faces, not even stars, and a fusion of some true-to-game lore and original creativity, to try and make a successful enough film to get the fanbase to watch it without being embarrassed and get some regulars to enjoy it as good, cheap but by no means wasteful fun.

Which strikes me as the kind of nervous approach to expect from Hollywood after such an uneven history with video game movies you’d expect.

I think it’ll ultimately turn on whether or not the director has a good enough storytelling style to hit the very real pay-dirt there is in the games’ story and lore at least enough to make the film have some dramatic power to accompany some hopefully well done action scenes

Let’s face it, the real issue video game movies face is that after years of generally having plots and storylines too crazy to be faithfully adapted to screen well, video game stories now rise to a level arguably beyond the reach of regular movies when done well enough.

When the first MK movies first came out, the story was mostly just some fun flavor text that offered more of an excuse for the game than an actual “companion experiences” to the game-play. Nowadays? The games field a blockbuster level storyline with multiple POVs, subplots, and intricacies that makes entertaining enough material to basically be free movies on YouTube that are clearly of much higher quality than many Straight-to-Streaming material and even some major franchise productions.

This film wants to be good enough to keep the fans and mainstream audiences entertained without risking the bank... and that speculation about what Cole’s story may or may not be is probably what everything hinges on.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

I don't know about the story - but the action scenes look awesome so far. Especially everything with Scorpion and/or Subzero in it.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    The trailer makes me think that what weÂ’re looking at is an attempt to use a modest budget, a modest cast with only a couple of recognizable faces, not even stars, and a fusion of some true-to-game lore and original creativity, to try and make a successful enough film to get the fanbase to watch it without being embarrassed and get some regulars to enjoy it as good, cheap but by no means wasteful fun.

Which strikes me as the kind of nervous approach to expect from Hollywood after such an uneven history with video game movies youÂ’d expect.
    I think you hit the nail on the head here, personally.

I've also had my concerns that this film would boil down to two hours of ultra violence for the sake of ultra violence. That it would use the blood as a crutch, hoping to cover up any deficits in cast and story with the sheer volume and gratuitousness of the violence. Or, I suppose, that it would be the original Mortal Kombat game, which kind of sucked as a fighter but had the gore going for it. Mortal Kombat II was much better, where it had the guts and gameplay of a really solid, if not super deep, arcade fighter and the violence was used less as the main draw and more as an exclamation point or a tone setter. There, at least, the trailer didn't give me too much pause. It's definitely selling the violence as a feature, but not as THE feature. And it appears from what we've seen so far that the action scenes will be impressive enough to benefit from the blood without being overwhelmed by it. More MK2 than MK1, as it were.

With Ludi Lin here, we now have three Power Rangers actors that have been part of this franchise. The others being Dan Southworth who played Kenshi in Legacy and Johnny Yong Bosch who voiced Kung Jin in MKX.

Looks okay.

Visually, it looks like they're going for a "grounded, gritty" look...so a lot of the characters look like mud and it appears a lot of fights take place in warehouses, dim hallways, and empty caves. But, as a plus, they appear to be going all in with the fantastical stuff--fireballs, ice powers, etc. So maybe it'll balance out.

I think Scorpion and Sub-Zero are going to steal the movie...pretty much how it is in the games. Sub-Zero especially looks like a badass in this.
    I've always thought a problem with any Mortal Kombat adaptation is the most interesting & compelling characters are the ones with little to do with the main plot, while the actual main heroes (Liu Kang, Sonya, Jax, Johnny Cage) are some the most boring characters in the franchise.

I don't see that changing here...especially with this Cole Turner jag-off, whoever the hell he's supposed to be. I think most interesting thing they can do with him...someone already suggested this...set him up as the hero and kill him off by the end.

It's weird to me they have Mileena with no Kitana. To me, introducing Mileena without Kitana is like having Vegeta with no Goku. She doesn't even seem to have her Tarkatan choppers...just a Glasgow smile.
    They should've used Jade. They could've even kept the same actress, and after she loses, Shang Tsung could be like "I'll have to use the twins next time" or something.

It feels wrong that Kitana's missing altogether to me. She's a major and iconic character, and it doesn't seem right for her to be left out.
    But then again, maybe it's just as well, because I have no faith they'll get her right. For some reason, whenever MK's story is adapted or updated...of all the aspects of Kitana they could focus on...they run with "Liu Kang's girlfriend." AKA: the least interesting thing about her. So if this movie turns out to be a total bust, maybe she dodged a bullet?

The general impression I've seen is "casuals" are excited, but the hardcore MK fans aren't happy. Mainstream audiences are just happy to see fatalities, Sub-Zero freeze stuff, Scorpion shout "Get over here!" and the other iconic characters appear. Hardcores that I've seen don't seem happy with the changes to the lore or overall look of the film.