Spectacular Member

Default What are the best comics to read for these DC Teams?

Suicide Squad, Justice League Dark, Gotham City Sirens, Birds of Prey, Young Justice, Teen Titans / Titans, Justice League, Legion of Super-Heroes, Legion of Doom, The Outsiders, Justice Society of America, Doom Patrol, Secret Six, Freedom Fighters.

I haven't read anything about these teams, only know about them through movies, TV shows and animation. I want to read more about them. Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by TheDragonKing View Post
    Suicide Squad, Justice League Dark, Gotham City Sirens, Birds of Prey, Young Justice, Teen Titans / Titans, Justice League, Legion of Super-Heroes, Legion of Doom, The Outsiders, Justice Society of America, Doom Patrol, Secret Six, Freedom Fighters.

I haven't read anything about these teams, only know about them through movies, TV shows and animation. I want to read more about them. Any suggestions?
    Well here I go:

Suicide Squad

• Legend - The DC Comics modern started with the big event: Crisis on Infinit Earths. It was followed by the sequel event Legend. It's in this story that the modern age Justice League and Suicide Squad were put in place
    • Suicide Squad (1987) - Following Legend a Suicid Squad followed. It is collected in 8 tpb.

Justice League Dark

• Justice League Dark (2018)
    • Infinite Crisis Omnibus or only Day of Vengeance
    • Justice League Dark New52 #9-23 - It corresponds to Jeff Lemir's run.

Gotham City Sirens

• Harley Quinn & the Gotham City Sirens Omnibus or Gotham City Sirens: Book One & Book Two

Birds of Prey

1. Birds of Prey Vol. 1-3 - Original serie started by Chuk Dixon, you can continue it if you liked
    2. Batman: Bruce Wayne – Murderer? followed by Batman: Bruce Wayne – Fugitive - Batman event that crosses over with the Bird of Prey Title
    3. Batgirl and the Birds of Prey Vol. 1-ongoing - It is the Rebirth serie

Young Justice - Teen Titans / Titans

The Young Justice is only an animated team inspired by the Teen Titans comics

• The New Teen Titans Omnibus Vol. 1-3 or at least Judas Contract
    • Titan Hunt + Titans Rebirth vol.1-ongoing
    • Teen Titans Rebirth vol.1-ongoing
    • Supersons Omnibus or Supersons vol.1-4
    • The Lazarus Contract
    • Super Sons of Tomorrow

Justice League

I recommand to read the main DC Events, but they are big event.

1. Crisis on Infinit Earths
    2. Legend
    3. Indentity Crisis + Infinit Crisis Omnibus + Final Crisis Omnibus
    4. 52 - should have read Infinit Crisis and Final Crisis, but a excellent serie
    5. Flashpoint
    6. Jutice League: Trinity War + Forever Evil + Justice League: Forever Heroes
    7. Darkseid War
    8. DC Univers Rebirth
    9. Doomsday Clock
    10. Heroes in Crisis

Legion of Super-Heroes

???

Legion of Doom

• Kingdom Come - an excellent elseworld story
    • Justice (2006) - a Mini-serie

The Outsiders

• Outsiders (2003) vol.1-9
    • Batman and the Outsiders (2007) vol.1-6

Justice Society of America

• Earth 2 New52 vol.1-6 + Earth 2: World's End vol.1-2 + Earth 2: Society vol.1-4

Doom Patrol

• Doom Patrol Omnibus or Doom Patrol Book One-Two-Three

Secret Six

• Secret Six Vol. 1-6

Freedom Fighters

• Blackest Night - Included in The Green Lantern by Geoff Johns - the full Geoff John's run must be read to understand this event.

Amazing Member

With Legion of Super-Heroes, there are so many characters that you'd do well to dip into the Silver Age for a while, when they were debuting new characters left and right. There aren't a lot of ongoing stories, so you can pick and choose.

Then fast forward to the mid 70s to see how Dave Cockrum updated them with their Bronze Age bathing suits.

You'll be well positioned then to dive into the most successful and acclaimed run by Paul Levitz, mostly with Pat Broderick, Keith Giffen, and Steve Lightle, beginning in #280 through 313. That run includes the famed "Great Darkness Saga." Then the series was relaunched with a new #1 as a prestige Baxter paper format. If you read the first couple dozen of that series, you get an excellent fight with the Legion of Super-Villains.

If you haven't read Kirby's Fourth World, you might want to do that first, both for general DC literacy and for some of the specific material used in the Legion.

Young Justice Vol. 1 is great fun by Peter David. It's somewhat of a funny book, but it's very charming. I'm rereading through it now for the first time since it oringally was published. I just read Bart's silent issue, I completey forgot about it and it was such a treat.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

Since you mentioned both the Justice League & Legion of Doom, you might enjoy Justice from Alex Ross.

You could also try JLA/Titans: The Technis Imperative, which has lots of nostalgic references and great artwork.

Birds of Prey #56-108 by Simone

New Teen Titans: Judas Contract really needs the backstory from NTT #1 up until JC to really be effective. The important bits are Slade's resentment after his first encounter that leads into the plan that starts over a year before JC occurs. JC is really a culmination of many threads.
    Reading just Judas Contract is kind of like hearing about a fantastic tv series and then just watching the season finale.

Legion of Super-Heroes: The Great Darkness Saga.
    Then either continue with Levitz from there or go back and read Jim Shooter's first run that introduced new members and brought a fresh take on the team.
    Adventure Comics #346-349.
    Or go even further back and just read from their first appearance in Adventure Comics #247.

Justice Society:
    The Crisis on Multiple Earths TPBs that reprint all the annual JLA/JSA cross-overs.
    And the TPB that reprinted the '70s All-Star Comics run.

Doom Patrol:
    Aside from the Morrison TPBs, which are a must, I'd also recommend the Silver Age Doom Patrol TPBs.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Retired

For Freedom Fighters, I'd suggest getting the 15 issue run from 1976 - 1978; however, as far as I know, this hasn't been collected yet. You can see the first appearance of these Earth-X heroes as a team in the JLA/JSA crossover (Crisis on Earth-X) from JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA 107 - 108, which was reprinted in CRISIS ON MULTIPLE EARTHS Vol. 3 (among other collections).