Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Siriel View Post
    Just to note, nothing establishes that the statue is a solid chunk of bronze rather than being hollow, and chopping the head of a hollow statue would be pretty in line with Achilles' other showings.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NArym4K9rNg

Judging from the ragged nature of the statue's neck after the cut, I think you might be right.

i love how we always give Brad Achilles his respect
    The director really wanted to portray him as quite simply the greatest, most talented fighter ever, while trying to still be somewhat realistic, and they succeeded.

In the movie he was the best, even compared to great fighters (Hector) who were strong enough to beat other great fighters (Ajax).

As for the fight, yea achilles wins pretty easily, it might give him pause that the mountain won't die by conventional means, but he will adjust fine.

I would give hector a decent shot against these 2. i'd wager he is about prime jaime lannister level without the massive ego.

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Movie Hector is probably still a fair bit beyond Jaime, really. And that's quite fairly the whole point of the Illiad anyway: these were the greatest warriors of an age when "greatest warriors" were considered demigods. Jaime isn't even the greatest warrior of his generation, much less an age. And on top of that, Jamie madly lacks the feats to go with his rep.

Achilles has a few different situations in both the original story and the movie where he's clearly shown to be playing a completely different game than everyone else. Yeah, the original source has some TRULY insane stuff: Achilles dams up a river with the dead bodies of an entire legion who he kills by himself, for example, and the movie isn't quite THAT over the top, but the point is easily taken.

There is a clear top-tier of fighters in the Illiad, with Hector, Odysseus and Big Ajax on the top, trailed a little by Menelaus, Little Ajax, Agamemnon, Patrocles and some others. Achilles is on another level from all of them. Even the greats wouldn't dare to cross blades in anger with Achilles. Hector strolls out to meet Achilles knowing he's absolutely going to die, and there's a guy who is literally a "top four" fighter of his age.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

true, i might be overestimating Jaime bit there calling him Movie hector level.

And on top of that, Jamie madly lacks the feats to go with his rep.
    Eeehhhh. In the books the only thing that stopped his battlefield murder rampage towards Robb Stark and thereby dead him like several thousand pages early in book 1 was functionally his sword getting stuck. He managed on another occasion when he was still a squire to otherwise briefly hold off a guy that gave both Barristan Selmy when he was younger and Arthur Dayne a decent workout. He backs his rep fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendaran View Post
    Eeehhhh. In the books the only thing that stopped his battlefield murder rampage towards Robb Stark and thereby dead him like several thousand pages early in book 1 was functionally his sword getting stuck. He managed on another occasion when he was still a squire to otherwise briefly hold off a guy that gave both Barristan Selmy when he was younger and Arthur Dayne a decent workout. He backs his rep fine.
    Yeah, that's all fair, but I was talking about TV Jaime, since this was about TV characters.
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Extraordinary Member Iron_Twister's Avatar

Yeah Book Jaime few showings before his eventual loss in ability strongly depict him as very dangerous. That one rampage against Robb and his fight against Brienne being not what the show depicted (basically Brienne admitting to herself she was glad Jaime was nowhere near top condition with handicaps cause even then he almost killed her) kinda said yeah...Jaime at his peak is again stupidly dangerous.

But on topic, Film Achilles murders the bros. They're definitely strong but...Yeah, no.

You could probably add in any other 3 GoT fighters who aren't dragons and Achilles still humiliates them. It's like if you made Arya ten times stronger and twice as quick to boot.

BANNED

Achilles via speedblitz.

He's that much faster that neither of the brothers are getting a hit in if he doesn't want them to. And it isn't as if Achilles doesn't counter off of parries with either sword or shield, so a "hit" could well be bait.

Hound dies first.

Mountain gets turned unto undead bits, and ends up being re-named Thing.

https://youtu.be/OFWOzENwX3M?t=259

I mean, Zeus have mercy, he cuts through people like butter, with an even added bonus of a no looked "throw shield on back to block incoming spear"

Dude is a killing machine. Hound won't even be able to call him a **** before his throat is slit
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

He's cutting (not thrusting) to kill people with metal-banded armor. And this isn't just some 'you can't see where he hits them, maybe he's getting an area of the armor that's not metal', because he throws one of his swords and the long edge of it (not the point) slams into someone's fully-metal helmet...and about 6" of it goes through the helmet AND the skull underneath.

And this isn't some weighted throwing axe, where all of the force is concentrated along a small edge. Nope. It's a Not-Designed-For-Throwing shortish one-handed sword *checks* a xiphos.

If he can do that, he can easily cut through the metal parts of the armor using the same sword in-hand.

That's some beyond-human power.
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 05-16-2019 at 06:03 AM.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

pre zombie mountain vs Ajax is probably a better fight for the two universes
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

i may not like "troy" as a movie and adaptation, but i will give it props for how they made Achilles look.

Ultimate Member

Considering the way he actually died the movie was hinting but not explicitly stating that Achilles was beyond human.

His feats in the movie show it. He's damn strong and fast.

Like, when he got serious with Hector, the guy couldn't swing fast enough to touch him. Hector knew he was dead as soon as he walked out to meet Achilles (by the way, the movie basically ended with Hector's death).

He could easily one shot each bro as easily as he took out the giant at the beginning of Troy.
    Last edited by Username taken; 05-16-2019 at 08:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Considering the way he actually died the movie was hinting but not explicitly stating that Achilles was beyond human.

His feats in the movie show it. He's damn strong and fast.

Like, when he got serious with Hector, the guy couldn't swing fast enough to touch him. Hector knew he was dead as soon as he walked out to meet Achilles (by the way, the movie basically ended with Hector's death).

He could easily one shot each bro as easily as he took out the giant at the beginning of Troy.
    Well, the thing there is that will certainly do for Sandor, but Gregor is gonna take a lot more cutting. He doesn't die getting run through with a sword, and doesn't die getting a knife straight through his eye, through his brain and out the back of his skull. So Achilles is going to have to dismember the guy. And he'll have no issue at all doing just that, it'll just take him a dozen swings or so instead of one. The Red Viper had no issues dominating Gregor, and Achilles is like 6 times as fast and strong and skilled as that guy. It'll be run in, veer towards Sandor, stab down through his neck into his heart, turn, and start the slicy dicey on Gregor. Head off, hands off, feet off - some serious "to the pain" **** right there. He isn't even going to leave perfect ears.