Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Considering the way he actually died the movie was hinting but not explicitly stating that Achilles was beyond human.

His feats in the movie show it. He's damn strong and fast.

Like, when he got serious with Hector, the guy couldn't swing fast enough to touch him. Hector knew he was dead as soon as he walked out to meet Achilles (by the way, the movie basically ended with Hector's death).

He could easily one shot each bro as easily as he took out the giant at the beginning of Troy.
    also, didn't help that Achilles was beyond pissed off because Hector killed his cousin.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Nice reference. Though I expect the ears will be fine because he doesn't NEED to take them. ^_^
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Nice reference. Though I expect the ears will be fine because he doesn't NEED to take them. ^_^
    Touché, well, or not, as the case may be.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Terrible adaptation of the Iliad but Brad Pitt was awesome as Achilles.

BANNED

Both these "best of" fights should be be analyzed side by side:

Viper VS Mountain: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VM9wWtHozCM

Hector VS Achilles: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAtbzV8CTV0

While Viper had an impressive-looking style while at range if you look at work rate, Achilles puts in a lot more effective work while Viper spends a lot of time showboating. Achilles is damned efficient, and won't wear himself down like Viper did.

Unlike Viper, Achilles' ranged game isn't his only strong point; its just where he starts. His spear is seemingly like a jab, which he uses to gather information about his opponent for when he chooses to draw his sword.

Also, more than once we see during his fight with Hector, meeting Achilles' thrust square results in him being blown backwards despite his shield. We see Mountain doing this somewhat with Viper, but the effect isn't as great. Hector seems to be shorter than Viper, but we have to consider that he was also wearing armour AND had a massive shield, to boot.

Finally, SPEED. This fight in my mind conjures up images of Pacquiao VS Margarito or Pacquiao VS DeLahoya. Its THAT bad; I don't think Achilles was operating at anywhere near full speed until the final moments of his fight with Hector. But we DO see him at "normal" combat speed during the beach battle, where his work rate is a lot higher.

Oh, Hound?

Him, Achilles dispatched in less than half the time it took you to read this while using his brother as an obstacle.
    Last edited by T51R; 05-16-2019 at 08:52 PM.

good stuff man, his fighting looks utterly fantastic. they really did a good job with him, i love how he just runs around him after first contact. He really seems very calculating during his fights.

His stamina is off the charts to, he doesn't look tired at all, while Hector was pretty winded.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by k von doom View Post
    Achilles is borderline superhero-level. GoT characters are too grounded to compete.
    Ehhhhh the highend KingsGuard Knights are definitely superhero quality. Jamie had a whole army try to capture him and he was so brutal that everyone was shook afterwards and he was ferociously wiping people out. Dayne is beyond even that. Most fans think Dayne not being at certain battles is effectively cost the Targaryen’s the war

Quote Originally Posted by T51R View Post
    Both these "best of" fights should be be analyzed side by side:

Viper VS Mountain: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VM9wWtHozCM

Hector VS Achilles: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAtbzV8CTV0

While Viper had an impressive-looking style while at range if you look at work rate, Achilles puts in a lot more effective work while Viper spends a lot of time showboating. Achilles is damned efficient, and won't wear himself down like Viper did.

Unlike Viper, Achilles' ranged game isn't his only strong point; its just where he starts. His spear is seemingly like a jab, which he uses to gather information about his opponent for when he chooses to draw his sword.

Also, more than once we see during his fight with Hector, meeting Achilles' thrust square results in him being blown backwards despite his shield. We see Mountain doing this somewhat with Viper, but the effect isn't as great. Hector seems to be shorter than Viper, but we have to consider that he was also wearing armour AND had a massive shield, to boot.

Finally, SPEED. This fight in my mind conjures up images of Pacquiao VS Margarito or Pacquiao VS DeLahoya. Its THAT bad; I don't think Achilles was operating at anywhere near full speed until the final moments of his fight with Hector. But we DO see him at "normal" combat speed during the beach battle, where his work rate is a lot higher.

Oh, Hound?

Him, Achilles dispatched in less than half the time it took you to read this while using his brother as an obstacle.
    in krimson rogue's review of the movie, he gave praise to this fight scene for how damn good it was, even though the rest of the movie wasn't good.

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    Ehhhhh the highend KingsGuard Knights are definitely superhero quality. Jamie had a whole army try to capture him and he was so brutal that everyone was shook afterwards and he was ferociously wiping people out. Dayne is beyond even that. Most fans think Dayne not being at certain battles is effectively cost the Targaryen’s the war
    I don't know about that. If you compare literature Achilles to book Jamie (or any other GoT character); Achilles is like TV Hercules to their MCU Captain America. If you compare Troy Achilles to TV show Jamie (or any other GoT character); Achilles is still Captain America to their regular human citizen. Put Troy Achilles in the Battle of Whispering Wood and he ends the Northern rebellion with one well placed spear throw.

Extraordinary Member Iron_Twister's Avatar

Honestly, the film Troy depicts Achilles as an absolute game changer in a fight: if he's on your side, you're going to win. No ifs or buts.

Your only issue is if he even feels like it and is a pain in the ass to deal with.

Because Hector was the best Troy had and poor dude had to piss off Achilles to the point it was just a downhill battle for him.

...Only reminds me how Red Cliff Guan Yu was the only guy who might match Achilles with that level of crazy good in a battle.
    Last edited by Iron_Twister; 05-19-2019 at 04:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Twister View Post
    Honestly, the film Troy depicts Achilles as an absolute game changer in a fight: if he's on your side, you're going to win. No ifs or buts.

Your only issue is if he even feels like it and is a pain in the ass to deal with.

Because Hector was the best Troy had and poor dude had to piss off Achilles to the point it was just a downhill battle for him.

...Only reminds me how Red Cliff Guan Yu was the only guy who might match Achilles with that level of crazy good in a battle.
    well he wasn't a pain in the ass to anyone but Agamemnon. he hated the guy. he didn't mind fighting with Odysseus or ajax.

Extraordinary Member Iron_Twister's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by master of read View Post
    well he wasn't a pain in the ass to anyone but Agamemnon. he hated the guy. he didn't mind fighting with Odysseus or ajax.
    True, Achilles is probably better being under anyone but Agamemnon.

But yeah, still on my stance that Achilles means win in any kind of war he's directly involved in.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Twister View Post
    True, Achilles is probably better being under anyone but Agamemnon.

But yeah, still on my stance that Achilles means win in any kind of war he's directly involved in.
    yep. it's not like he hates kings. he showed tremendous respect to priam when he snuck into his tent and calmly asked for hector's corpse. he even wished he was fighting on his side.

All Agamemnon really had to do was not act like a dick all the time and treat Achilles with respect. He still wouldn't like him, but Achilles would at least be somewhat more lenient towards him.

Achilles wanted glory most of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Oswin View Post
    All Agamemnon really had to do was not act like a dick all the time and treat Achilles with respect. He still wouldn't like him, but Achilles would at least be somewhat more lenient towards him.

Achilles wanted glory most of all.
    or hell, show some balls. i mean, priam snuck into his tent, bowed him and then kissed his feet before revealing who he was. achilles could've killed him dead easy and possibly ended the war early but he knew that priam knew that as well. he just wanted his son's body back and he was willing to risk capture, torture and death against the most badass warrior in the world to do it. that's way more than what aggy would've done.