Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quote Originally Posted by Oswin View Post
    good stuff man, his fighting looks utterly fantastic. they really did a good job with him, i love how he just runs around him after first contact. He really seems very calculating during his fights.

His stamina is off the charts to, he doesn't look tired at all, while Hector was pretty winded.
    Hector knew he was dead as soon as he saw Achilles throw that spear on the beach.

Dude was instantly mentally wrecked
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Oswin View Post
    All Agamemnon really had to do was not act like a dick all the time and treat Achilles with respect. He still wouldn't like him, but Achilles would at least be somewhat more lenient towards him.

Achilles wanted glory most of all.
    The thing there is that all of the Acheans and Argives are presented as horrifyingly arrogant - not just in the film, but obviously in the original sources.

When the "9 worthies" list was made, it included Hector, not Achilles or any of the Achean/Argive contingent. They were dicks. Hector's death was tragic, Achilles' was comeuppance.

Agamemnon was only slightly less arrogant than Achilles - it's not particularly shocking that they went along together like thermite and napalm. Agamemnon, in the original sources as opposed to the film, was one of the, oh, 5 best fighters among the Acheans and Argives (along with Achilles, Diomedes, Odysseus and Big Ajax), and he's the only one who never needed or received the help of a god during the fighting.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

So, only way I see the Hound winning out here, is if there's a couple of cooked chickens he wants.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    The thing there is that all of the Acheans and Argives are presented as horrifyingly arrogant - not just in the film, but obviously in the original sources.

When the "9 worthies" list was made, it included Hector, not Achilles or any of the Achean/Argive contingent. They were dicks. Hector's death was tragic, Achilles' was comeuppance.
    The fact that some guy in the fourteenth century tried to wash away Hector's faults has no relevance to anything?

Setting aside the fact that Hector is kind of a coward and does things like only challenge his opponents to one on one combat after being promised that he's destined not to die today or flees from Achilles until he's tricked into thinking he has backup, it's outright noted in the Iliad that he spelled his own doom by desecrating Patroclus' corpse and stealing his equipment for himself.
    Last edited by Siriel; 05-21-2019 at 10:17 AM.

The Iliad, AKA, everyone is an *******.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Siriel View Post
    The fact that some guy in the fourteenth century tried to wash away Hector's faults has no relevance to anything?

Setting aside the fact that Hector is kind of a coward and does things like only challenge his opponents to one on one combat after being promised that he's destined not to die today or flees from Achilles until he's tricked into thinking he has backup, it's outright noted in the Iliad that he spelled his own doom by desecrating Patroclus' corpse and stealing his equipment for himself.
    Eh, Hector was also always presented as fairly humble and noble for a dude who killed literally 31000 people in the epic. And when I say "always" I include in the Illiad.

Achilles and the others were not. Nor were most of the Trojan side: that was pretty much limited to Hector and Aeneas.

And "flees from the fleet-footed man killer" is not really a surprising thing: Hector is about at Big Ajax's level - as demonstrated in their all-day solo fight that ended in a stalemate, and that had them exchange jerseys, er, weapons and armor, at the end. And that's just not a scratch on Achilles.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Quote Originally Posted by Siriel View Post

To be fair to Hector, the gods directly screw with his brain by comparison to a lot of the roster. He otherwise had moments of ignoring bad omens and rallying his forces in the face of disaster and what have you. He's also one of the only characters to be given a moment with his family in a sense of his wife and child, i.e. something he wants to live for.