Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Default Great story ruined by...Great art wasted by...

Just occurred to me, has anyone here' really loved a story, but hated the artwork, or vice versa. Then maybe elaborate' would they purchase just for artwork or story?

Using Fornes in the same issue as Janin is a horrible waste of Fornes. So Fornes has been wasted filling in in both the Tyrant Wing and The Fall and the Fallen.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Ultimate Member

There've been a few powerful Legion stories that I feel could have been even stronger with a better artist, such as the death of Sarya / the Emerald Empress.

Cry for Justice had some fantastic art, covers and interiors by Mauro Cascioli

Story was garbage.
    Last edited by Güicho; 05-15-2019 at 03:54 PM.

I loved Meyers' art style in the initial Teen Titans: Rebirth run.

Unfortunately the run, itself ended up being very "meh". Which, I guess worked out since Myers left and was replaced with an artist who is also very "meh"

Heroes in Crisis seems to be the poster child for great art/bad story nowadays.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    Heroes in Crisis seems to be the poster child for great art/bad story nowadays.
    To be fair, that's usually the case for most event comics. Identity Crisis, Blackest Night, Infinite Crisis, Zero Hour, all had art that vastly outstripped their writing.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post

Story was garbage.
    Totally agree. I'd also throw in "Identity Crisis" in terms of great art, bad writing.

I thought Englehart's "The Green Lantern Corps" book was really good, but Stanton's cartoony art made it difficult for me to really love it.

Yeah... Identity Crisis would be one. Art was great.

JLI, the Breakdowns issues.
    Wozniak wasn't the best choice, IMO, for the event that would cap off the JLI's five year run.
    At least they had Maguire come back for the last issue.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    Yeah... Identity Crisis would be one. Art was great.

JLI, the Breakdowns issues.
    Wozniak wasn't the best choice, IMO, for the event that would cap off the JLI's five year run.
    At least they had Maguire come back for the last issue.
    Good call. Considering how brilliant the artists were for most of that run, the significantly weaker art from the General Glory arc on was particularly jarring.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Mighty Member

Story was garbage.
    Same. For me, Cry for justice is the perfect example of a story with perfect art, wasted by a garbage story. Until now, with maybe Civil War 2, Cry for justice is the worst event that I Have read despite superb artworks (and I wait for the last issue, but HIC seem to fit in this category)
    I try to improve my english, feel free to correct me by DM if you see some mistakes !

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Story was garbage.
    And we have our winner folks!!
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Loved the writing on Morrison's JLA. Porter's art took me out of the story though. I've grown to like his work a lot more than I did then and I like him pretty well on Flash lately. Just never felt like a good fit to me on JLA.

I just started reading No Justice and having trouble because I don't care as much for Manupul's art.

Oh, almost forgot this:
    Millennium
    Love Joe Staton on Huntress. Love him on Green Lantern Corps. Love him on Femme Noir.
    But I think Millennium was a poor match.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

In a recent example, G Willow Wilson's opening arc "The Just War" for Wonder Woman. Cary Nord's art felt unfinished, often it looked like he spent the least time on Wonder Woman amongst all the characters, and he managed to put exactly the opposite emotional beats on Diana that the story called for.

Wonder Woman (2016-) 058-020.jpg
    Wonder Woman (2016-) 058-021.jpg
    Wonder Woman (2016-) 058-022.jpg

The second arc, "Giants War", he did arts duty for was improved, but the problems with how Diana was drawn persisted.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])