Page 71 of 136 FirstFirst ... 216167686970717273747581121 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,065 of 2040
    Spectacular Member

The latest episode broke Angry Joe's rating scale.

Quote Originally Posted by ducklord View Post
    Now, would it be narratively troubling to have the reward for Picard having an emotional breakthrough and coming to grips with his mother's suicide be a magical happy-borg-resurrection of his mom? Oh, for sure. It would send all kinds of messed-up messages about mental health that make me fell all icky. But again, writers loves them some swerves, and they *have* done the bare minimum of work necessary to set it up. So, y'know, it might happen.
    The way you described the writers reasoning was spot on, hilarious and depressing.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    The way you described the writers reasoning was spot on, hilarious and depressing.
    So, his Mom committed suicide? Contrary to "Tapestry" where she lived to be very old and his father criticized Jean-Luc for joining Starfleet and would never acknowledge the value of it, calling him a great disappointment because he wouldn't stay home, pretend it was the 16th century, and stomp grapes.

Under the circumstances, I can understand how Q is dying and so on since, clearly, nothing has to make sense in this season of Picard.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Minerboh View Post
    Yes, that's the one.
    I haven't saw the video of the CD though because I find his humour to be way too graphic for my taste. It was amusing for a couple of videos but it got revolting and in some cases, a bit... questionable, especially when he talks about hepatic conditions as if they were something take lightly. Anyway... I recently got the chance to see the latest episode and I was pleased to see that wasn't the case.
    Thanks for explaining though.
    Are you still watching the show?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    Are you still watching the show?
    I am two episodes behind thanks to severe medical issues.
    But I do plan to get back on truck.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    So, his Mom committed suicide? Contrary to "Tapestry" where she lived to be very old and his father criticized Jean-Luc for joining Starfleet and would never acknowledge the value of it, calling him a great disappointment because he wouldn't stay home, pretend it was the 16th century, and stomp grapes.

Under the circumstances, I can understand how Q is dying and so on since, clearly, nothing has to make sense in this season of Picard.
    Nothing has to make sense in this season? Nothing will make sense in any season of Picard.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Nothing has to make sense in this season? Nothing will make sense in any season of Picard.
    My biggest issue with the first season was: why is someone living in a trailer and barely surviving? Whatever happened to that Star Trek future that used to exist where even a guy who just woke up from the 20th century and whose bank accounts were all non-existent didn't have to worry in the least about how he would survive?

Incredible Member

That was just awful. "You two run through the firefight, we'll take the secret underground passage and avoid them."

I guess Picard's brother is a away at Grapefleet academy?
    Sounds perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    My biggest issue with the first season was: why is someone living in a trailer and barely surviving? Whatever happened to that Star Trek future that used to exist where even a guy who just woke up from the 20th century and whose bank accounts were all non-existent didn't have to worry in the least about how he would survive?
    My biggest issue with the first season was the show telling us that we should wipe out all synthetic life....BECAUSE THEY WILL ATTEMPT TO KILL US ALL THE FIRST CHANCE THEY GET. The show did not make a good case for living in harmony.

Back to the current season. Rios is just going to have to settle for a fling with the Doctor babe and move on because....

1. It isn't worth having to live through what is going to happen in that timeline.

2. He can't bring her to his time because she has family that she just can't abandon and even if she did she would not be able to catch up and become a real doctor again. She won't be happy being at home all day either. She would just end up becoming the world's most bitter bartender by day and then at night she would spend her time in the holodeck or holoroom of her house (because she doesn't want to be in space) pretending to be a Doctor from her time. This will just lead to holoaddiction.
    Last edited by Anthony W; 04-30-2022 at 09:40 PM. Reason: I was going to look up the Doctor's name, but realized I just didn't really care what her name was

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    That was just awful. "You two run through the firefight, we'll take the secret underground passage and avoid them."

I guess Picard's brother is a away at Grapefleet academy?
    Another ignoring of continuity in "Picard". Picard's brother and his nephew died in a fire in the chateau because there was no modern tech to prevent it
    This was because his brother, like their father, was an anti-tech fanatic, not what "Picard" presents his father as being. I suppose the chateau could have been rebuilt. But why bother? Since they are ignoring continuity in this show like it doesn't even exist, they might as well ignore the fire like they've ignored every bit of continuity that doesn't fit into their forced story.

Quote Originally Posted by Minerboh View Post
    I am two episodes behind thanks to severe medical issues.
    But I do plan to get back on truck.
    Well you might as well wait until after the season finale airs so you can see all three eps back to back.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by ducklord View Post
    That's the part that gets me - I find it difficult to believe that, in the 23rd century, the kind of childhood trauma that Picard went through wouldn't be jumped on immediately by all sorts of counsellors.
    Makes Deanna seem not-so-good at her job, that her Captain's fairly significant mental trauma escaped her notice all those years.

And Starfleet handing out ships like candy (and the lives of thousands of crewmen) to Captains who are teetering on the edge.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Makes Deanna seem not-so-good at her job, that her Captain's fairly significant mental trauma escaped her notice all those years.
    To be fair, Deanna was never really shown to be very good at her job (that's what Guinan was there for!); she couldn't even pick up on her own mother's repressed trauma.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Ohhhh lots to catch-up on. MY thoughts on the season:
    - my biggest gripe from Season 1 was the over-use of "JP". THANKFULLY that has basically been cut, so I'm very very happy
    - the overall idea of all of this is wonderful. I didn't love 'younger' Guinan. The actress did fine, but she is no Whoopi Goldberg (ultimately Guinan isn't that amazing a character, it was Whoopi who made her great). I assume Whoopi just didn't want to do that many episodes?
    - loving the whole Borg Queen subplot
    - so, SO happy Orla Brady was given such a big part this season, because she really shined in a smaller role in Season1. Rewarding the breakout star feels right!
    - Elnor!!! WHY??!?!?! He was sooooo good in Season 1.
    - Annie Wersching is the best queen since Alice Krige! THERE, I SAID IT! And I really enjoyed her in 24, so very happy to see her back
    - Rios' romance is painful. Unnecessary, boring, tedious... ughhhh. He was so fun in Season 1, they did him dirty!

Overall I'm enjoying it, because I enjoy Star Trek and adore Picard and Seven and Borgs and Q and Guinan. I really am over Dr Soong, and hope he never appears again (Brett Spiner got plenty to do in Season 1, this wasn't needed). And overall this felt like a seven episode arc. They needed a fourth subplot, or not gone to the past so quickly. I felt like I waited for a reveal A LONG time, purely because they needed to fill air.

But overall, still having lots of fun.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Kind of curious about the Borg Queen, if she's technically the same individual from First Contact somehow. Guess she can 'download' into a new body or something.

I think one of the explanations that the Trek EU came up with is that they look the same or very similar because there's basically some kind of "royal jelly" type thing used, not that they necessarily have backup clones of the same alien woman. So technically Jurati might show up at the end of the series but with the weird head tube things instead of her hair.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth