Page 43 of 136 FirstFirst ... 333940414243444546475393 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    I get the point you articulate, but I'd submit that a characterization where The Federation is a facade stretched a cross a bleak, rotted reality is not Star Trek. It's a neat premise, a wonderful comment on American history, and makes for great sci-fi.

However, ST was intended to be set in a future where our better angels had the upper hand, even if they hadn't completely won the day. Roddenberry took it too far, especially in the early seasons of TNG, but the underlying vision of hope is ST's core.

I sometimes feel like creators that want to present this more cynical interpretation of Trek are like those comicbook writers that want to write superheroes, but go overboard trying to prove they're not writing kid's stuff.
    I do suspect this is the underlying plot for Discovery Season 3. Yes, the Federation has survived for a thousand years, but survive doesn't mean thrive, necessarily. So then the question is, now that the Federation's been deconstructed, how do you reconstruct it in a way that adheres to its mission, vision, and values that saw it at the height of its influence and well-being for Federation citizens.

DS9 kind of touched upon it with the Dominion War, but it was through crisis. In Discovery it could very well be that the crisis has long passed and people gave up, so how do you inspire them again to unite and work towards that idyllic, utopian future.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    I do suspect this is the underlying plot for Discovery Season 3. Yes, the Federation has survived for a thousand years, but survive doesn't mean thrive, necessarily. So then the question is, now that the Federation's been deconstructed, how do you reconstruct it in a way that adheres to its mission, vision, and values that saw it at the height of its influence and well-being for Federation citizens.

DS9 kind of touched upon it with the Dominion War, but it was through crisis. In Discovery it could very well be that the crisis has long passed and people gave up, so how do you inspire them again to unite and work towards that idyllic, utopian future.
    Cue a swipe of Andromeda.

Cue a swipe of Andromeda.
    Sure, and DS9 was a swipe of Babylon 5 and Voyager a swipe of Battlestar Galactica. But DS9 is still a classic.

*cough*

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    Sure, and DS9 was a swipe of Babylon 5 and Voyager a swipe of Battlestar Galactica. But DS9 is still a classic.

*cough*
    The Babylon 5 argument in TBBT is probably my favorite geek argument of the show because I was fully on Sheldon's side.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

I get the point you articulate, but I'd submit that a characterization where The Federation is a facade stretched a cross a bleak, rotted reality is not Star Trek. It's a neat premise, a wonderful comment on American history, and makes for great sci-fi.

However, ST was intended to be set in a future where our better angels had the upper hand, even if they hadn't completely won the day. Roddenberry took it too far, especially in the early seasons of TNG, but the underlying vision of hope is ST's core.

I sometimes feel like creators that want to present this more cynical interpretation of Trek are like those comicbook writers that want to write superheroes, but go overboard trying to prove they're not writing kid's stuff.
    Oh I agree. It may be realistic but it's just not Star Trek.

I wonder if it's time we can't pretend Star Trek is our future like we did in the 60s and 70s and just have to accept it as a feel good Utopian future that will never be.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post

I wonder if it's time we can't pretend Star Trek is our future like we did in the 60s and 70s and just have to accept it as a feel good Utopian future that will never be.
    Then again, that's too pessimistic. Racial rights. Women's rights. Gay and Trans rights and so on. Always threatened but always fought for. There are aspects of the Star Trek future in the real world to hope for.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post

Or...and this what Ioved about Discovery.1...maybe we could have a Trek that's true to the vision of a better tomorrow, but not a projection of 1960s America.

Or...and this what Ioved about Discovery.1...maybe we could have a Trek that's true to the vision of a better tomorrow, but not a projection of 1960s America.
    True. I think every version of Star Trek is a projection of the era in which it was made.

I loved the series unquestionably right up until the events of the last episode. Not that it wasn't entertaining but the consequences left me with questions that I'm not sure what I think of them at this time.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Incredible Member

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

I. Can't. Wait!!!

They're gonna have to CGI the hell outta John de Lancie though...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    I. Can't. Wait!!!

They're gonna have to CGI the hell outta John de Lancie though...
    Why would they have to CGI John de Lancie? Just throw in a line explaining his aged appearance is meant to match, and taunt, an aged Picard. It's a very Q thing for him to do, really.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    Why would they have to CGI John de Lancie? Just throw in a line explaining his aged appearance is meant to match, and taunt, an aged Picard. It's a very Q thing for him to do, really.
    Yup, he's done it before

PICARD in a few ways was pretty much an alternate version of ALL GOOD THINGS's future, but much more optimistic.

Kind of curious about PARADISE LOST. In TOS's SPACE SEED it was a reference to Khan being exiled to Ceti Alpha V (Khan also has copies of the books in his Cargo bay home in TWOK). Given that the Soong family did their own experiments with augments (In ENTERPRISE), maybe that's a possibility somehow for a plotline if Spiner comes back. It's also the name of a DS9 episode where starfleet almost becomes a dictatorship.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    I was being facetious. Hence the .

SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES