Page 12 of 136 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262112 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Interesting very loose recurring parallels between the four main new rogue crew members of La Sirena.
    and the characters of Gene Roddenberry's original 1964 StarTrek pitch:
    Side by side bellow.

(Obviously the description of "Number one became Majel Barrett's character in the pilot ep, then for the series some aspects went to the revamped Spock, and the "Dark...Nile Valley" aspect to Uhura, although as per the new series set up she is his new #1 in Raffi Musiker:

The navigator José Ortega was dropped, (interesting (to me) Roddenberry envisioned a latino lead in the first crew in 1964, yet the studio didn't actually bring it about till over 30 years after with arguably Chakotay and B'elanna). For the new series Chris Rios.

Continued: The emotional Spock with "catlike curiosity over anything alien" which we first saw in the pilot, was obviously dropped and Spock was instead merged with the personality of the removed Number One. Yet the Emotional" and somewhat curious catlike Vulcans would be the Romulans, see Elnor in the new series.

And the Yeoman "colt" pretty much appeared as is in the pilot, only visually similar to Agnes Jurati.

These four "new" rogue crew members seem to be a somewhat re-purposed throwbacks to Roddenberry's 4 original crew pitch.
    Coincidence? :
    Last edited by Güicho; 01-08-2020 at 09:32 AM.

I was watching older episodes of tng and voyager and when I keep seeing these promos they just feel so off tonally compared to old episodes. This seems like so they're trying to capitalize on nostalga and turn the star trek into a action, jj.abram mystery box type show which isn't what star trek was. There was an intelligence and a genuine interest in science fiction ideas that the older shows dealt with and this just feels dumb. Like the people who made it don't like star trek and just want to put as many explosions as they can into the trailers. I hope I'm wrong, but it feels like star trek into darkness, dark fate, star wars ros all over again.

The post-TMP TOS movies were, at the time I think (and even a bit today), criticized by Roddenberry and some elements of the fandom as dumbing things down, so it's not an entirely new thing I think.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

https://twitter.com/StarTrek/status/...72052339044353

The episodes being recommended as prep (re)watching:

- Datalore
    - Best of Both Worlds, Part 1 & 2
    - Family
    - I, Borg
    - Raven (Star Trek: Voyager

(I'm actually surprised "Descent" parts I & II, aren't there.)

StarTrek.com's Clip highlights of the recommend catch-up episodes:
    WATCH: Catch Up on These Episodes Before Star Trek: Picard - https://www.startrek.com/videos/watc...ar-trek-picard
    Last edited by Güicho; 01-08-2020 at 01:59 PM.

Here's a recent Vanity Fair interview with Patrick Stewart with a little bit more of a look on at least the tone of the show. It's a better piece than those soundbytes and clips of Stewart simply promoting the show. Plus, there's a shout out by his two Number Ones: Jonathan Frakes and Sir Ian McKellan.

https://variety.com/2020/tv/features...ss-1203459573/

Hmm....Datalore huh? Although it's been assumed that the dismembered Soong android seen in some of the trailers is B-4, maybe it's actually Lore. Given Lore's history with the Hugh Borg faction from Descent maybe that's possible.

Incredible Member

Anyone watched the short trek ep Children of Mars; the prequel to the Picard series?

spoilers:
    There’s a news report about Mars being attacked by Rogue Synths while Picard is Admiral. They may be the main villains in the series. Maybe the Borgs in Descent that Hugh was leading are working with these synths.
    end of spoilers

Maybe that's what the planet was with Picard in Ten Forward. I assumed it was Vulcan....

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Reservoir Dog View Post
    is there any hint as to how much technology has advanced, or not, during this time? you can't beam onto a ship that's in warp, for example?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    is there any hint as to how much technology has advanced, or not, during this time? you can't beam onto a ship that's in warp, for example?
    From the general look of things, I'd say technology has frozen and stagnated since Discovery's time. But hey, this is all canon right?

Quote Originally Posted by beetee View Post
    From the general look of things, I'd say technology has frozen and stagnated since Discovery's time. But hey, this is all canon right?
    Being the nerd I am, I noticed that Discovery would pay lip service to things like their max speed being warp 8 when TNG would use warp 9 constantly on the faster scale, or that we never see the full power of their weapons. But that's ok to me since warp and weapons are as weak or powerful as the plot demands.

But I also noticed that Discovery employs fewer push-button texhnobabble solutions like rerouting x to y to power z and close the anomaly. On a more meta level it could mean that they're not as versatile as their successors, since that was often climax resolution in TNG and Voyager.

Quote Originally Posted by Beantownbrown View Post
    I love Guinan but she didn't age a day in 500 years and now will age so much in 25 or so years? Unless they say she's at the end of her life and El Alurians age rapidly before death or something.