Page 47 of 136 FirstFirst ... 374344454647484950515797 ... LastLast

Q looks awesome!

The all black Starfleet uniforms look cool but you know black faux-leather = eeeeeevil. And Q has a bit too much facial hair for a classic goatee of eeeeevil but still...

Of course 7 would be introduced getting out of bed in a nightie.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

BANNED

Trailer was alrightish, although I got too much of a flash back with Patrick Stewart-Charles Xavier in Days Of Future Past when Stewart says the future in the Picard trailer.

Season 2 again also still seems to be following the generic tv formula of a long run arc in a season, which for people like Alex Kurtzman is the laziest safety net for himself and his hired writers, however this is too generic for Star Trek standards and is part of the reasons, Discovery and Picard are far from terrific shows.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

I remain cautiously optimistic.

I know now not to expect 90's Trek in the 21st century, but I do wish they'd try for a slightly more episodic formula with these shows. Hopefully Strange New Worlds will deliver on that.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I have no idea why you guys want episodic shows. Usually you would get one maybe 2 really good episodes with the rest being ok to meh.

Ultimate Member

I think having several separate story arcs within a season, plus a few standalone character episodes, would work well for Star Trek

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    I have no idea why you guys want episodic shows. Usually you would get one maybe 2 really good episodes with the rest being ok to meh.
    The One-10-hour-long episode = 1 season formula is starting to feel a bit stale for me. It's partially to blame for why we know next to nothing about any of the 14 characters on Discovery *not* named Burnham.

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    I think having several separate story arcs within a season, plus a few standalone character episodes, would work well for Star Trek
    This.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

I insist that Picard be a serial show given the limited nature of its own plot itself. At Picard's age and status, he should be really specific about how he chooses to spend his time (yes, yes, I know about his new status quo, but he doesn't have Starfleet constantly giving him new orders, either).

Discovery can be a mix of serial and stand-alone, and sometimes I feel like Discovery leans on its serial nature a little too heavily. Yeah, I know there are fewer episodes because industry standards have changed, but the occasional breather episode really helped DS9's greater arcs and still maintained singular focus on the Dominion. And no episode is really a filler episode if it still advances the characters in some way.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    The One-10-hour-long episode = 1 season formula is starting to feel a bit stale for me. It's partially to blame for why we know next to nothing about any of the 14 characters on Discovery *not* named Burnham.

This.
    I think it also depends on the length of season and the type of story arc. Some made need more episodes than others

Mighty Member

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Beantownbrown View Post
    Sooo.. time travel again?

I think it also depends on the length of season and the type of story arc. Some made need more episodes than others
    True... but then I think of Netflix's Marvel shows. Most of them did not need to be a 13 part story; every season of every series had 3-4 (imo) filler episodes that really dragged down the pacing of the greater arc.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

Ultimate Member

True... but then I think of Netflix's Marvel shows. Most of them did not need to be a 13 part story; every season of every series had 3-4 (imo) filler episodes that really dragged down the pacing of the greater arc.
    I think in those cases the number of episodes should probably be reduced

I'm really hoping that poster doesn't mean Picard and the crew have to travel back to 2022. Or worse... 2020! We're still living in the pandemic horror, it's too soon.
    ENT s4 showed that format works quite well, and I'd love a few more 2 and 3 part episodes in which the story and character beats can be fleshed out at length without being stretched out and diluted over a season. Plus we get more stories, more hopefully strange, new worlds and awesome anomalies... and less crying. Speaking of crying...
    There are other characters besides Michael?! Apart from Owosekun and Detmer, the only other lesser cast member with any interesting defining characteristics is Linus! He seems like an interesting non-human character, and Prophets know Trek needs some of them in this new era.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    .... Discovery and Picard are far from terrific shows.
    Disagree, especially about Discovery.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Oh I loved Picard, but I love Picard as a character, add in Seven and a bad-ass Vulcan and killer Romulans? SOLD! Discovery... really they need to fire their casting director, season 3's additions were mediocre TO BAD actors. Just plain bad (save the villain, she was good). Season 3 in general was pretty awful actually, whenever Georgio wasn't on screen. Best episodes were her two-part arc. Such a shame how bad Discovery got, after such a brilliant close to S1 and lots and lots of fun parts to S2.

I think it's because certain episodic structures lend themselves better to re-watchability. I've rewatched far more stand alone episodes of Star Trek and Buffy than I have of Game of Thrones or Orange is the New Black. There is room for both, I like a mix (personally). So an overall arc but each framed in one episode. Let's be fair, nothing Discovery's arc has done comes close to rivaling Yesterday's Enterprise.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."