Page 86 of 136 FirstFirst ... 367682838485868788899096 ... LastLast
Results 1,276 to 1,290 of 2040

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsay Snow View Post
    Why don't you list all these supposed quirks and inconsistencies and we'll compare them side-by-side with the multitude of flaws which exude from that horrible Orville/ST Beyond hybrid mess known as Discovery.
    I let it slide once but I have to say it Orville is Awesome and ST Beyond is the best Trek film since 1st Contact.

Also, I have hopes for season 3 given the trailers but outside of the 1st 2 episodes of season 2 Picard is God awful.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

I also really like Star Trek Beyond. It is just behind the ST09 film for me(which I started again last night).
    Do not get the hate for STB at all.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Jersey City - or you can call it The TWiLighT Zone

I'm actually excited for Picard Season 3, well atleast the first 6 Episodes .. Some of the Biggest critics of Newtrek (which I agree) were given previews for these episodes and even they said it was good.. so I'm actually more hopeful..
    Last edited by 5Eyes; 02-06-2023 at 02:25 PM.

Mighty Member

man does ANYONE like Discovery? It must be at the very least watchable since it's lasted 4 going on 5 seasons now. I wonder if the first couple seasons issues stemmed from Bryan Fuller's departure(he loves to cut and run)

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    man does ANYONE like Discovery? It must be at the very least watchable since it's lasted 4 going on 5 seasons now. I wonder if the first couple seasons issues stemmed from Bryan Fuller's departure(he loves to cut and run)
    Well, I have tended to watch an episode then several episodes of other ST shows. Okay. I watched twenty episodes of Lower Decks between episodes of Discovery. I like some of the characters. Saru. The one slightly overweight woman. I don't mean that as an insult, just can't think of her name. There are some interesting ideas. I just wish they'd come right out and say it's a prequel to maybe the Kelvin movies or something rather than TOS.
    Power with Girl is better.

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    Well, I have tended to watch an episode then several episodes of other ST shows. Okay. I watched twenty episodes of Lower Decks between episodes of Discovery. I like some of the characters. Saru. The one slightly overweight woman. I don't mean that as an insult, just can't think of her name. There are some interesting ideas. I just wish they'd come right out and say it's a prequel to maybe the Kelvin movies or something rather than TOS.
    My thoughts exactly.

Also, I cannot stand Discovery I just hate it. It is my least favorite series of all the New Trek with Lower Decks being my favorite.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    My thoughts exactly.

Also, I cannot stand Discovery I just hate it. It is my least favorite series of all the New Trek with Lower Decks being my favorite.
    I started watching LD as simply some light comedy relief that wasn't canon. Now it's my favorite ST with the one exception of DS9 (although I really do like SNW). In spite of being presented as comedy (though more and more dramatic with each season), it's amazing how far ahead these episodes are plotted with solid ideas of where these characters will be from the beginning of a season to the end. In fact, I even suspect there is a series arc as well as a season arc. Plus I'm seeing where it is canon in spite of jokes like, What are you? Some kind of throwback "Last Outpost" Ferrengi?

The early scuttlebutt out of early post Picard P+ NextGen projects is either an Enterprise C or F show.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

My thoughts on the Kurtzman Era of Trek.

I hate Discovery and Picard (So far) the one joint issue they have is they feel like a betrayal to the hopeful optimistic future Gene Roddenberry was trying to create which while holding a mirror up to our own societal flaws was trying to be a beacon of hope to what we could become as a species. The Battlestar Galactica Remake is one of my favorite shows and it's not optimistic it's the opposite it's bleak and gritty and that's what it's supposed to be for telling the story they wanted to tell. DISCO especially season one felt more like a successor to that series than Trek especially with the spore drive feeling like an FTL. Although there is one huge difference between BSG and DISCO writing sorry if you're a fan, but DISCO and Picard thus far have been horribly written shows IMO. Also, the idea DISCO is canon to TOS is laughable but honestly so is SNW, but why do I hate one and no the other?

SNW while canon to TOS I mentally have decided it's not it's like the Kelvin films in its own timeline. But why did I make that mental choice and move on while the canon issue stuck in my crawl with DISCO? Because SNW is good it's well written and stays true to Gene's vision of the future while being inclusive and exploring the issues facing our own real world. I will admit I think Orville is doing a better job, but SNW is doing a fine job of keeping the Trek legacy alive and that's what Kurtzman didn't understand IMO with DISCO and Picard Trek isn't just an IP it's a vision and running it is a Stewardship.

Prodigy fits perfectly into canon and besides being well written with likable characters who continue that hopeful vision of the future it's also made by fans of Trek. Just watch Kobayashi Maru or All the World's a Stage and you see it also the adding of characters like Okana and Xindi is just more touches to show the creators love of what came before.

The same can be said about Lower Decks while IMO too goofy to be canon it's massive amount of easter eggs shows it's made by those who love Trek and love its lore.

I have high hopes for Picard Season 3 the trailers look fantastic and even people who hated Season 1 and 2 and who have seen Picard early have said it's good.

I hope SNW, Prodigy, Lower Decks, and Picard Season 3 are signs we are past the era of Trek trying to be something it's not which is "Gritty, Dark, Grounded" whatever terms people like to use to justify depressing. Trek is meant to be hopeful a future where we have let all forms of hatred and bigotry go and overcome war, poverty, disease, greed, and envy by uniting and becoming inclusive to all.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    My thoughts on the Kurtzman Era of Trek.

I hate Discovery and Picard (So far) the one joint issue they have is they feel like a betrayal to the hopeful optimistic future Gene Roddenberry was trying to create which while holding a mirror up to our own societal flaws was trying to be a beacon of hope to what we could become as a species. The Battlestar Galactica Remake is one of my favorite shows and it's not optimistic it's the opposite it's bleak and gritty and that's what it's supposed to be for telling the story they wanted to tell. DISCO especially season one felt more like a successor to that series than Trek especially with the spore drive feeling like an FTL. Although there is one huge difference between BSG and DISCO writing sorry if you're a fan, but DISCO and Picard thus far have been horribly written shows IMO. Also, the idea DISCO is canon to TOS is laughable but honestly so is SNW, but why do I hate one and no the other?

SNW while canon to TOS I mentally have decided it's not it's like the Kelvin films in its own timeline. But why did I make that mental choice and move on while the canon issue stuck in my crawl with DISCO? Because SNW is good it's well written and stays true to Gene's vision of the future while being inclusive and exploring the issues facing our own real world. I will admit I think Orville is doing a better job, but SNW is doing a fine job of keeping the Trek legacy alive and that's what Kurtzman didn't understand IMO with DISCO and Picard Trek isn't just an IP it's a vision and running it is a Stewardship.

Prodigy fits perfectly into canon and besides being well written with likable characters who continue that hopeful vision of the future it's also made by fans of Trek. Just watch Kobayashi Maru or All the World's a Stage and you see it also the adding of characters like Okana and Xindi is just more touches to show the creators love of what came before.

The same can be said about Lower Decks while IMO too goofy to be canon it's massive amount of easter eggs shows it's made by those who love Trek and love its lore.

I have high hopes for Picard Season 3 the trailers look fantastic and even people who hated Season 1 and 2 and who have seen Picard early have said it's good.

I hope SNW, Prodigy, Lower Decks, and Picard Season 3 are signs we are past the era of Trek trying to be something it's not which is "Gritty, Dark, Grounded" whatever terms people like to use to justify depressing. Trek is meant to be hopeful a future where we have let all forms of hatred and bigotry go and overcome war, poverty, disease, greed, and envy by uniting and becoming inclusive to all.
    So two questions, why is it unfair to say that Discovery isn't linked to TOS? Why is it better to link it to the Kelvin movies? Not saying I disagree, just wondering

Isn't Trek at times bleak? Just watched Balance of Terror and it ends bleakly, with a character who was going to get married to another character dead at the end with Kirk consoling the would be wife. So, not always hope sunshine and roses.

So two questions, why is it unfair to say that Discovery isn't linked to TOS? Why is it better to link it to the Kelvin movies? Not saying I disagree, just wondering

Isn't Trek at times bleak? Just watched Balance of Terror and it ends bleakly, with a character who was going to get married to another character dead at the end with Kirk consoling the would be wife. So, not always hope sunshine and roses.
    I don't think it is unfair to not link DISCO or SNW to TOS.

As for question 2 my favorite Trek is DS9 they fought a War and War is hell Trek isn't always sunshine and rainbows the characters can go thru bad things.

Let's say in the real world you suffer a loss or live thru a natural disaster like an Earthquake or a disease it's better to live through those events in the U.S., Japan, or Italy let's say vs North Korea where you could also be suffering from famine, power outages, and other issues thanks to the NK regime.

Picard made the Federation Xenophobic and tried to create class warfare with Raffi in her trailer and people complaining about the quality of food they get from the Replicatorsvs others. The Federation and Starfleet has had Rogue officers and Factions in the past but they're the exceptions to the rule that the Federation and Starfleet are inclusive and has the resources where want is eliminated. This was all done thanks to humanity rejecting bigotry, greed, and envy a long time ago.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Discovery is the first show of the Streaming era. It was Trek-fandoms first TV show in some 12 years that was going to be in the main timeline. Our diet had been the Kelvin-verse Star Trek movies which were themselves divisive for some(many?).
    I found the first two seasons, especially S2, to be good Trek. I've only re-watched S2 cause of time and other interests. I did not like S3, the Red Angel storyline was too long and bloated. The Burn for S4 likewise. I'm hoping that with the Federation restored we get back to something a bit more "Trek-normal" if not DISCO S1&2-ish.

I get folks complaints with DISCO but I think it is a good addition overall to the lore. Maybe people forget how droll being in Kazon space for so long was for a ship allegedly traveling a straight line. Things like Prodigy have helped people see Voyager with rose colored glasses 20+yrs removed. Like the SW prequels for many now.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    Discovery is the first show of the Streaming era. It was Trek-fandoms first TV show in some 12 years that was going to be in the main timeline. Our diet had been the Kelvin-verse Star Trek movies which were themselves divisive for some(many?).
    I found the first two seasons, especially S2, to be good Trek. I've only re-watched S2 cause of time and other interests. I did not like S3, the Red Angel storyline was too long and bloated. The Burn for S4 likewise. I'm hoping that with the Federation restored we get back to something a bit more "Trek-normal" if not DISCO S1&2-ish.

I get folks complaints with DISCO but I think it is a good addition overall to the lore. Maybe people forget how droll being in Kazon space for so long was for a ship allegedly traveling a straight line. Things like Prodigy have helped people see Voyager with rose colored glasses 20+yrs removed. Like the SW prequels for many now.
    I like Voyager and definitely more than Discovery but I don't have rose colored glasses of it.

It was the most uneven when it came to quality of episodes out of all the Pre Kurtzman shows IMO.

It wasted an interesting premise about a Starship being alone and far from home by constantly hitting the reset button after every episode.

It focused way too many episodes on the Doctor and Seven.

Harry Kim was possibly the blandest character in Trek history.

But none of that makes me think Discovery is good I don't find Discovery and the 1st 2 seasons of Picard just bad Trek I think they're bad shows. They're the Bayformers of Trek IMO they look good, plenty of explosions, but are dumb. If Discovery had no connection to Trek I'd still think it was bad.
    Last edited by Jokerz79; 02-07-2023 at 09:39 AM.

I'm okay with Discovery being a bleak time in history that really started getting better within a few years. But, there are just so many things that seem impossible to believe would lead to a recognizable TOS. The whole Red Angel thing and Spock having an adoptive sister. Not impossible but there's no payoff in the future. Also, looking at the things that happened in Discovery and then in SNW, it becomes hard to believe that Spock would be the person we saw him to be in TOS. He's gone through too many experiences that have changed him and given him insights. If we play the game that the prequels really happened first (instead of decades later in the real world), then he's relapsed in TOS and unlearned a whole lot about himself. In reality, of course, the prequels are the results of decades of advancement in story-telling (well, maybe Discovery not so much). where themes can be more deeply explored. The problem comes in trying to place them chronologically first within the story. The prequels just don't lead to TOS. But the Kelvin movies generally bypass the social themes of TOS in favor of action movies. There's less there to contradict. The prequels could lead to those movies.

I enjoy Star Trek Discovery.
    Black Panther - Champion of Bast
    Vixen - Champion of Anansi