Page 87 of 136 FirstFirst ... 377783848586878889909197 ... LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,305 of 2040
    Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MoneySpider View Post
    I enjoy Star Trek Discovery.
    Same here, it's had it's rough patches and I'm not a huge fan of the season long stories but I love the characters.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MoneySpider View Post
    I enjoy Star Trek Discovery.
    Μe too. Light years a better content than the entire Kelvin Timeline output.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Same here, it's had it's rough patches and I'm not a huge fan of the season long stories but I love the characters.
    This is the truest problem with reason to critique. I also hold this view. It is at least A reason SNW was a large breath of fresh air. That return to more singular episodic viewing with perhaps a subplot that runs underneath in the B story.

Where did this season long serialization start, is there a "patient(show) zero"?
    I feel it may be as far back as The X-Files. Then Buffy TVS, LOST, ALIAS and HEROES had runs of strong examples. By the time we get into the 21st century with Cable outlets producing content and reduced episode counts per season it was largely standard. By the age of Streaming it would be hard for someone born pre-2000 to know of anything different almost.

If anyone thinks of a better pre-90s example than X-Files I'm game. To argue myself, even X-Files had plenty of stand alone epss within its season arc episodes so maybe the example is post-TXF.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    This is the truest problem with reason to critique. I also hold this view. It is at least A reason SNW was a large breath of fresh air. That return to more singular episodic viewing with perhaps a subplot that runs underneath in the B story.

Where did this season long serialization start, is there a "patient(show) zero"?
    I feel it may be as far back as The X-Files. Then Buffy TVS, LOST, ALIAS and HEROES had runs of strong examples. By the time we get into the 21st century with Cable outlets producing content and reduced episode counts per season it was largely standard. By the age of Streaming it would be hard for someone born pre-2000 to know of anything different almost.

If anyone thinks of a better pre-90s example than X-Files I'm game. To argue myself, even X-Files had plenty of stand alone epss within its season arc episodes so maybe the example is post-TXF.
    Murder One was an early example. "24" though, was probably the most famous early example.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Primetime Soaps and Dramas Peyton Place, Dallas, Knot Landing, Dynasty, Falcon Crest, 30 Something, Life Goes On, etc.

Sci-Fi you had Invaders which ran for 2 seasons in the 60's and while episodic had an overall storyline of aliens secretly infiltrating the Government. Even the 60's Fugitive had the overall storyline of proving Kimble's innocence.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    My thoughts on the Kurtzman Era of Trek.

I hate Discovery and Picard (So far) the one joint issue they have is they feel like a betrayal to the hopeful optimistic future Gene Roddenberry was trying to create which while holding a mirror up to our own societal flaws was trying to be a beacon of hope to what we could become as a species.
    Yea, my thought exactly. I just can't get past this, and frankly, I just won't get past it, for anything. Grant Morrison used to hold up Star Trek as the kind of optimistic stories we humans got away from telling each other/ourselves, so this Kurtzman's era is especially painful considering that thought of Grant's (which rang so true the very moment I read it).
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 02-08-2023 at 11:40 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Mighty Member

Think Discovery season one might've been partially inspires by the Battlestar Galactic reboot in a few ways. Although it's been overshadowed by GOT and other shows since then, it was often seen as a possible roadmap for a Trek revival. The series was also Ronald D Moore's work-he wrote most of the Klingon stuff for the TNG era. There was also a CSI episode called space Oddity that featured Moore and some BSG actors called space oddity, which dealt with a backlash to a gritty reboot of a TOS style show..
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Star Trek: Picard Season 3 - The Ready Room Premiere Special
    Get ready for the final season of Star Trek: Picard, featuring the return of the Enterprise crew from Star Trek: The Next Generation.
    Wil Wheaton hosts this deep dive with the cast and creatives as they boldly go one last time on a premiere special segment of The Ready Room.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    Star Trek: Picard Season 3 - The Ready Room Premiere Special
    Get ready for the final season of Star Trek: Picard, featuring the return of the Enterprise crew from Star Trek: The Next Generation.
    Wil Wheaton hosts this deep dive with the cast and creatives as they boldly go one last time on a premiere special segment of The Ready Room.
    I am hearing nothing but great praise from all the early reviews for the first 6 eps of ST-Picard sn3. even Dave Cullen who severely detested sn1 +2 (like myself) is praising season 3.

Incredible Member

Babylon 5 is the first modern instance I can think of.
    Sounds perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Besouro View Post
    I am hearing nothing but great praise from all the early reviews for the first 6 eps of ST-Picard sn3. even Dave Cullen who severely detested sn1 +2 (like myself) is praising season 3.
    Same here, I'm excited. As one reviewer put it (paraphrasing) "Captain Picard is finally back! Whereas before Sir Patrick Stewart was arguably inserting too much of himself into the character Picard now feels like Picard again."
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Think Discovery season one might've been partially inspires by the Battlestar Galactic reboot in a few ways. Although it's been overshadowed by GOT and other shows since then, it was often seen as a possible roadmap for a Trek revival. The series was also Ronald D Moore's work-he wrote most of the Klingon stuff for the TNG era. There was also a CSI episode called space Oddity that featured Moore and some BSG actors called space oddity, which dealt with a backlash to a gritty reboot of a TOS style show..
    I might take flack for this but I never enjoyed the Battlestar Galatic reboot. Despite its acclaim, the tone of the series was far too dark for me. While Classic BG certainly had its dark moments it wasn't the slog of near-unending misery that was Modern BG.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Same here, I'm excited. As one reviewer put it (paraphrasing) "Captain Picard is finally back! Whereas before Sir Patrick Stewart was arguably inserting too much of himself into the character Picard now feels like Picard again."
    THAT is what I wanted to hear! Sir Patrick's taken the broken old Professor X he played in Logan and transferred it to Picard. Not a good look, and not every old man is disillusioned and bitter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    I might take flack for this but I never enjoyed the Battlestar Galatic reboot. Despite its acclaim, the tone of the series was far too dark for me. While Classic BG certainly had its dark moments it wasn't the slog of near-unending misery that was Modern BG.
    I watched the first 1 1/2 seasons of the BSG reboot before I couldn't take said near-unending misery anymore. The trailer and first half of Discovery's premiere episode filled me with hope... then I got warmongering cannibal space rapists. (Gods, I type that phrase whenever I talk about early Disco.) That works in Firefly, not Star Trek. Depressingly violent =/= good 21st C TV. At least that show course corrected in s2, and Picard seems to have course corrected in s3 into what it should have been from s1... just in time to end.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Jersey City - or you can call it The TWiLighT Zone

Quote Originally Posted by Besouro View Post
    I heard many reviewers give it praise, some I even respected but even then I was still hesitant .. I won't lie ..Dave Cullen cinched it for me ... He rarely rarely gives quarter to Newtrek.. So yeah I never thought I would, but I'm giving it a chance...