Page 13 of 136 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363113 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Beantownbrown View Post
    That's pretty neat. In the video at the end she said Guinan was the last character Roddenberry created, and Stewart seemed to correct her by saying last lasting character.

Is Guinan the last character Roddenberry created before his death?

Anyway this show already had my money, so this is just icing on the cake at this point. My only question...well since apparently Picard and Dr. Crusher never became a thing, what happened to her? Maybe this season or next will answer that.

Astonishing Member

Anyway this show already had my money, so this is just icing on the cake at this point. My only question...well since apparently Picard and Dr. Crusher never became a thing, what happened to her? Maybe this season or next will answer that.
    Everyone seems to love Gates McFadden and Dr. Crusher, but no one ever wants to write for her. By far the most ignored character since TNG.

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
    Everyone seems to love Gates McFadden and Dr. Crusher, but no one ever wants to write for her. By far the most ignored character since TNG.
    I wonder if its just that doctors in Trek are just hard to write for (haven't seen Discovery (yet) so not sure if its true there, too).

It will be interesting to see how they address Guinan aging more than she should have. Or if they'll address it at all.
    HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/store

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by G. Boney View Post
    It will be interesting to see how they address Guinan aging more than she should have. Or if they'll address it at all.
    I think they should just ignore it, we're all smart enough to understand what the reason is.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    I think they should just ignore it, we're all smart enough to understand what the reason is.
    Poor Writing?

Astonishing Member

Meh, given Guinan's costume/hair, they could use a little CG if they wanted to--and she wouldn't look that much different. I don't think Whoopi is quitting her day job any time soon so any scene she was in would be small.

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
    Meh, given Guinan's costume/hair, they could use a little CG if they wanted to--and she wouldn't look that much different. I don't think Whoopi is quitting her day job any time soon so any scene she was in would be small.
    She never quit her day job whenever she was on TNG, either. She just filmed TNG on her off days or after shooting on a movie was done for the day, and that was back when she was an Oscar-winning A-lister. It was a big help that her movies often filmed in LA (god, seeing Q face off against Sister Mary Clarence would've been great).

I imagine she stays with the View because it's relatively easier than filming a movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Poor Writing?
    Damn. I need to hire better people to write my ageing.

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    That's pretty neat. In the video at the end she said Guinan was the last character Roddenberry created, and Stewart seemed to correct her by saying last lasting character.

Is Guinan the last character Roddenberry created before his death?
    That's likely true. If he actually created Guinan that is. The only other semi-major character that was created while Gene was still alive was Barclay, but it's unlikely Gene had any hand in that as he was probably a one off character for a script whereas Guinan was a role that was created for Whoppi to recur.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Poor Writing?
    I mean, I suppose there could be an entertaining plot told about why she appears older and it could potentially be done well...but at same time why bother? We all know the real reason is that these characters aren't actually real and that people age differently which is why some appear older than others, so there's no real reason to have to explain those changes in story.

It's the same with Data, could the physical changes be explained away in story? Sure, I bet a plot point could be whipped up, but at the end of the day we know it's really just because Brent Spinner isn't actually an android so he's aged since the show ended so why not just accept that and move on.

Just saw 1x01 Remembrance. Wow. I'm thoroughly pleased.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Absolutely love the first episode t
    There has been a lot of criticism about this being an action, which Star Trek isn't in the lead up to this debut.
    Whilst it obviously is going to be an action I really like the way they got to that effect with an cause that was VERY Stat Trek

spoilers:
    the interview with the Picard about why he left starfleet was a perfect way to bring this about. Making this all about a higher moral ground, doing what should have been done and what should be done for the synthetics. About not making it a knee-jerk and emotional response but a considered response for the greater good. It'sclassic Picard standing up for what Starfleet and the federation are supposed to represent. Its the reason why JL dissobeyed any order that he did throughout his carreer
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by beatboks; 01-23-2020 at 04:24 PM.

It's better than Discovery, it could have been so much worse.

I want to see where this goes.

Things I liked.
    Patrick Stewart as Picard. The casting for the other characters works.

Things I didn't like.
    I know we needed to get the info dump out of the way but they used the old tired "ratings hungry reporter sensationalizes news in a trap interview" bit. As soon as they were talking about the subject matter of the interview I sighed. Maybe they should have showed us those events. It feels like we have missed two episodes worth of story. A lame music video about two brats in school fighting doesn't do that. If you are wondering what I'm talking about watch the Short Trek titled "Children Of Mars" it's terrible.

Dahj shows up at Picard's house with a head wound and talking about being attacked and her boyfriend being killed in front of her and then killing her attackers and Picard...gives her tea and puts her to bed instead of alerting the authorities immediately? I get that if Picard went to the authorities it would slow the whole episode down and we wouldn't see Dahj karate kick people...but man show you are asking a lot of me.

There is no need to try to make Data look younger. The fans will understand. I find it funny that they are obsessed with trying to make Data look young (something the fans won't get bent out of shape about) but turned around and made the Klingons look like orcs without a second thought.

It's the Romulan Star Empire...not the Romulan Star Planet. They have an empire with numerous worlds and all it takes is the destruction of one and all of a sudden we have a refugee crisis? The loss of one world did all of this? Just one?
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Very good episode.

Apparently going to have to go back and watch the TNG episode Measure of a Man since it plays so prominently into this shows set up. I only vaguely remember it concept and thats about it.