Page 30 of 136 FirstFirst ... 202627282930313233344080130 ... LastLast

I've given another thought towards Riker and Troi in this episode. They had the perfect reason not to get involved -- they don't want to put their daughter in danger or risk her losing one or both parents. That's not only legit, but that's a far stronger reason to keep them away from the action rather than Picard telling his assistant that he didn't want the TNG crew to devote themselves to him. That's another example of hubris that the admiral and then Riker himself called him out on.

Now, if Picard mentioned that the Rikers had their own lives with a child to look after as reason not to recruit them for this mission, it would've been some nice foreshadowing to this episode. On the other hand, by Picard assuming they would just blindly obey him does, in hindsight, create a nice character flaw that he's slowly overcoming. The universe is changing, and him losing his curiosity means that he's falling behind. Regaining that curiosity is getting him up to speed, albeit maybe more challenging than he'd realize.

Quote Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
    that's such a small fraction of my larger point but good for you

they don't know the canon. that's very obvious.
    I know it's verboten to link to other boards, but I visit this Reddit poster weekly after each episode, citing all the canon references to previous Trek. The poster, and thus the writers, do their homework. Indeed, this latest episode seems to have the most references so far, even more than the pilot when they need to establish this brave new world.

But I'm also surprised at how much they've been pulling from Voyager -- not just the Borg canon (which makes sense) but even deep pulls into obscure episodes becoming a key plot point. We even saw an xB Hirogen this week!

If each week had 10 references or integral plot points that tied back to 90s Trek, that would be enough. DS9 had even fewer in the first season, and that's closer to TNG. But that there are at least 20 each week (and more, typically) means to me that they've really done their homework with the canon, rather than playing madlibs with Memory Alpha. There are certainly references that act as name drops, but there are also references that actually play important and meaningful roles to the history, context, and plot of the show. Even the irumodic syndrome is a deep pull, and yet it undergirds so much of his health and that his clock is ticking (even Troi sensed it here)... And that's not counting the condition of his artificial heart, itself a throwback to Samaritan Snare and Tapestry.

As to the point about Data and Picard's friendship, Picard may not have been Data's best friend, but that doesn't mean the opposite can't be true, either. Especially in adulthood, one-way best friendship can (and often) exists (for example, being the Best Man or Maid of Honor might not be reciprocated between two weddings. There's no obligation for the groom and best man to switch places at the next wedding.).

Yes, I believe LaForge was Data's best friend. But I think the movies make a strong case that Data eventually grew to become Picard's best friend, and the show seems to use that as their jumping point. That doesn't mean Picard was Data's as best friend in return, but Picard has far more than enough emotional and on-screen investment to justify this entire quest. After all, Picard is the protagonist, not Data.

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    Hmmmm i wanna say NEVER but i tolerated it TNG because i love Worf but i think he was more competent with it in DS9. I don't like Swords in my Star Trek.
    Shirtless Sulu would like a word with you.

...as does Barclay's upsetting Three Musketeers simulation.

Funny enough, when Worf had an Earth sword in Q-Pid, he was rather stu-pid with it.

(Also, needless fun fact: during filming of Q-Pid, the only ones in the cast with actual certified stage fencing training were McFadden and Sirtis. But in the episode, the women don't fight with swords at all. Talk about a wasted opportunity!)
    Last edited by Cyke; 03-07-2020 at 03:47 AM.

Sword fighting in Star Trek is just one of those grandfathered things from TOS and has its origins in pulp fantasy like John Carter, which was clearly an influence for the creators of TOS. It is silly sure, but its such a Star Trek thing that it was even parodied in Futurama.
    Last edited by Pinsir; 03-07-2020 at 05:18 PM.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    I've given another thought towards Riker and Troi in this episode. They had the perfect reason not to get involved -- they don't want to put their daughter in danger or risk her losing one or both parents. That's not only legit, but that's a far stronger reason to keep them away from the action rather than Picard telling his assistant that he didn't want the TNG crew to devote themselves to him. That's another example of hubris that the admiral and then Riker himself called him out on.

Now, if Picard mentioned that the Rikers had their own lives with a child to look after as reason not to recruit them for this mission, it would've been some nice foreshadowing to this episode. On the other hand, by Picard assuming they would just blindly obey him does, in hindsight, create a nice character flaw that he's slowly overcoming. The universe is changing, and him losing his curiosity means that he's falling behind. Regaining that curiosity is getting him up to speed, albeit maybe more challenging than he'd realize.

I know it's verboten to link to other boards, but I visit this Reddit poster weekly after each episode, citing all the canon references to previous Trek. The poster, and thus the writers, do their homework. Indeed, this latest episode seems to have the most references so far, even more than the pilot when they need to establish this brave new world.

But I'm also surprised at how much they've been pulling from Voyager -- not just the Borg canon (which makes sense) but even deep pulls into obscure episodes becoming a key plot point. We even saw an xB Hirogen this week!

If each week had 10 references or integral plot points that tied back to 90s Trek, that would be enough. DS9 had even fewer in the first season, and that's closer to TNG. But that there are at least 20 each week (and more, typically) means to me that they've really done their homework with the canon, rather than playing madlibs with Memory Alpha. There are certainly references that act as name drops, but there are also references that actually play important and meaningful roles to the history, context, and plot of the show. Even the irumodic syndrome is a deep pull, and yet it undergirds so much of his health and that his clock is ticking (even Troi sensed it here)... And that's not counting the condition of his artificial heart, itself a throwback to Samaritan Snare and Tapestry.

As to the point about Data and Picard's friendship, Picard may not have been Data's best friend, but that doesn't mean the opposite can't be true, either. Especially in adulthood, one-way best friendship can (and often) exists (for example, being the Best Man or Maid of Honor might not be reciprocated between two weddings. There's no obligation for the groom and best man to switch places at the next wedding.).

Yes, I believe LaForge was Data's best friend. But I think the movies make a strong case that Data eventually grew to become Picard's best friend, and the show seems to use that as their jumping point. That doesn't mean Picard was Data's as best friend in return, but Picard has far more than enough emotional and on-screen investment to justify this entire quest. After all, Picard is the protagonist, not Data.

Shirtless Sulu would like a word with you.

...as does Barclay's upsetting Three Musketeers simulation.

Funny enough, when Worf had an Earth sword in Q-Pid, he was rather stu-pid with it.

(Also, needless fun fact: during filming of Q-Pid, the only ones in the cast with actual certified stage fencing training were McFadden and Sirtis. But in the episode, the women don't fight with swords at all. Talk about a wasted opportunity!)
    I’m not gonna read all that man there’s nothing that’s gonna get me to watch this absolute JOKE of a Star Trek series. I’m wasting my brain and there’s plenty of great Star Trek shows in existence that aren’t complete garbage that I can watch. Good for you for defending your favorite show Picard but you’re not gonna convince me, the show is ass.

BANNED

why would I subject myself to a complete nonsense interpolation of what’s supposed to be Star Trek when real Star Trek already exists, these corporate douchebags running these shows don’t care at all about us fans so what’s the point for me to be watching? They’re never going to give us that worthwhile TNG follow up, ever, and if I keep myself invested in this I’m just gonna die unhappy

Well, Hugh is dead. Another interesting secondary character is gone.... *sigh*
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

I’m not gonna read all that man there’s nothing that’s gonna get me to watch this absolute JOKE of a Star Trek series. I’m wasting my brain and there’s plenty of great Star Trek shows in existence that aren’t complete garbage that I can watch. Good for you for defending your favorite show Picard but you’re not gonna convince me, the show is ass.
    I'm not trying to change your mind, but even from a factual standpoint (as opposed to subjective taste standpoint), your claim that the show doesn't know canon is repeatedly proven wrong several times per episode.

Canon does not equal quality, of course, and you're free to dislike whatever you want, but at least make sure the facts are straight. You can have as many reasons as you want to dislike the show, but canon isn't really one of those reasons. Even the complaint about Data and Picard is resolved thanks to adherence to canon.

Quality of writing aside, the writers did their due diligence on the canon. You tried to state something as fact ("an obvious" one, for that matter) when I'm showing you that's wrong on a quantitative, factual basis. And facts are not variable like opinions.

Just say you don't like the show. Don't blame it on the history the writers continually cite in their work as the basis of the show. Might as well complain about Voyager because they're too far from home by adhering to the canon speed limits set by TNG.
    Last edited by Cyke; 03-07-2020 at 11:58 AM.

these corporate douchebags running these shows don’t care at all about us fans so what’s the point for me to be watching?
    You realize all versions of Star Trek were made by "corporate douchbags", right?
    HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/store

Well if we can get through this season, next season will see a new showrunner take the reigns. Maybe he'll make different decisions than Chabon.

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    Well if we can get through this season, next season will see a new showrunner take the reigns. Maybe he'll make different decisions than Chabon.
    Has Chabon said he won't be continuing as showrunner?
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    Has Chabon said he won't be continuing as showrunner?
    I can't find where he himself said it, but it was included in current updates about the season two renewal.

‘Star Trek: Picard’ Renewed For Season 2 With Terry Matalas As Showrunner; Wil Wheaton To Host Aftershow

Here's something from December saying Chabon is leaving to work on The Adventures of Kavalier and Clay, but will remain an executive producer.

OK, thanks.
    The new guy has a history working on Star Trek and sci-fi, so that's good.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

I hope they tell the director of photography to stop panning the camera constantly while people have conversations. It’s not more dynamic - it makes you look like TV Michael Bay.

Actually, pretty sure the last episode had more static close-ups, thankfully.

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    I like Chabon and his overall style, but his biggest contribution was in convincing Stewart to do the show in the first place, laying the groundwork for the show in order to do so. That's obviously done and over with. If Chabon leaves and a new guy (with a prior Trek connection) takes over, to me that'll be okay.

I would imagine Chabon would have some say in approving the new showrunner as well, since that would likely be a discussion among all the producers.

There is bad...and then there is Star Trek Discovery bad. This manages to be worst.

We have our second all female organisation in the Zhat Vash. Why are they all female? No idea. Anyway they touch a well and we watch as Trek attempts to become Battlestar Galactica.

Trek Legolas' uselessness is only surpassed by the people hunting him. They hit him with a stun grenade and then....rush in to fight him in hand to hand combat one at a time?! Then Seven shows up. How did she get there? Who knows? How did she get on the cube that should be on high alert? The writers don't care and neither do I.

Hey look, Picard is being talked down to yet again. I swear this show can't go one episode without Picard Being chewed out, of course it doesn't help that Picard is being written as a moron. Hey, Picard you should have investigated as soon as Maddox died! Great, now the show is making me chew out Picard. It's nice to know that Raffi is too stupid to know the difference between Rios and the EMH, nevermind the fact that the EMH has a totally different accent and dresses differently and acts differently. I'm starting to see why it took her so long to catch on to Jurati murdering someone. Credit where credit is due the actor who plays Rios is doing a good job.

Soji and Picard talk about her angst and then Data. I just can't...with the woe is me chosen one stuff that does not belong in Trek.

Picard talks to Jurati about the Skynet/Geth/Cylon/Kaylon uprising. Then Picard decides it would be a good idea to leave A KILLER WITH CRAZY VISIONS IN HER HEAD OF AN ANDROID APOCALYPSE ALONE WITH SOJI.

Hey, it turns out Jurati gets to have dinner with the crew now because she is through murdering people! She apologized. Good for her...sigh. At the dinner they talk about Battlestar Galactica and how all this happened and will happen again. They also give her peppermint ice cream that isn't peppermint.

Old man Picard does something goofy! He can't work the controls. LOL, can we just kill him and get it over with?
    Last edited by Anthony W; 03-12-2020 at 11:27 AM.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest