Page 90 of 136 FirstFirst ... 4080868788899091929394100 ... LastLast
Results 1,336 to 1,350 of 2040

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla2099 View Post
    Agreed on both. Its too bad this show finally found its rhythm now (but at least they found it).

Overall, this was a great first episode.

+ Character Dynamic between Riker and Picard
    + Close-Up/Details of the Ships and Build Up
    + Leaving Space Dock
    + Happy to see Picard's Housekeeper again.
    + I love Ensign "Crash" LaForge
    + For the first time ever, Raffi did a good job

- Crusher: Her intro was wack. It was like Expendables meets Stormtroopers. That assassin had an automatic weapon, fired multiple shots at close range in a narrow hallway but couldn't hit her, yet she kills both assailants with nearly one round each. At least she used her brain to deal with the second one.

- Titan Captain: This guy is no Jellico. With Jellico, I totally understood him. He was a Captain built for war (not diplomacy) and whipped the crew up as fast as he could in order to prepare them for the worst. His intentions were good. Captain Shane on the other hand just feels like a cookie cutter rude superior as a sacrificial lamb so "Seven" will be promoted. I hope there's a reason he hates the borg other than "I'm a jerk" and why exactly did he eat dinner before everyone else? I can't think of any reason to do that other than "I'm a jerk"
    I've heard people from the Navy describe Jellicoe as someone who should have been forced out as a Lt Commander - his style comes across as micromanagement and he seems uninterested in voices that don't echo his own.

Eating before the men is a big no-no in the US military. Lowest ranks eat first, then NCOs, then officers - do NOT be caught anywhere other than the last third of the line if you are a junior officer. So having a Captain eat first is probably a signal to those familiar with the military that he is not fit for his position.
    Dark does not mean deep.

In defense of Jellico and Shaw

On TNG 1st season you had Admiral Mark Jameson in Too Short a Season and Admiral Erik Pressman in Pegasus Season 7. As far as Shaw is concerned, he has 2 retired Officers coming aboard his ship and trying to get him to go off script. This type of **** use to annoy Picard and it annoys him difference is Shaw is willing to be a dick. Also, Sisko and Guinan both had issues with the Borg and Picard in particular for Sisko due to their past. I'm willing to give Shaw slack for disliking the hive mind species who have attempted to assimilate Earth on multiple occasions and killing thousands of Starfleet officers. I don't get the idea Shaw eats with Seven and Picard is a higher rank and Riker equal in rank. While I get Shaw is meant to be a jerk, he's also not wrong Riker and Picard are there to highjack his ship and potentially put in danger.

Jellico never did anything wrong IMO and was a good diplomat with the Cardassians and I actually came away finding the Enterprise-D's crew as unprofessional it's the Flagship of Starfleet not some cruise ship. I love Riker but hated his interactions with Jellico especially when Jellico came to ask for his help piloting the shuttle. I wanted Jellico to knock that **** eating grin off his smug face.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by beatboks View Post
    That's why it's the "new constitution class" its obviously being made as a tribute to the original constitution class that Starfleet started with. Probably for the parade that both Riker and Picard were supposed to do speeches for. I assume its some big anniversary of the federation or something
    More like Mish Mash class to me. A Constitution saucer attached to an Excelcior star drive senction.

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    I've heard people from the Navy describe Jellicoe as someone who should have been forced out as a Lt Commander - his style comes across as micromanagement and he seems uninterested in voices that don't echo his own.

Eating before the men is a big no-no in the US military. Lowest ranks eat first, then NCOs, then officers - do NOT be caught anywhere other than the last third of the line if you are a junior officer. So having a Captain eat first is probably a signal to those familiar with the military that he is not fit for his position.
    My father served in the Navy (and his father too). He said Jellico was by far the most realistic of the captains. Dad agreed about the shift rotation. You're stationed on the flagship where it was a time for battle preparation and combat readiness, not a time to lounge around and let the crew get used to the new captain. A navy cruiser isn't the love boat. It's not about liking the guy but respecting his command. Training can only get you so far, but when you're in actual combat, Jellico is the guy that keeps nervous men focused and brings you home.

He also thought Riker should have faced major disciplinary actions for his insubordination. You don't act that way towards your CO.

As for Shaw, I don’t think he's a character well-written. (Again, I see sacrificial lamb for Seven's Promotion) There's a major difference between commanding and disrespect. They should have just kept him a By the Books guy with a dry personality. "Respectfully gentlemen, on my ship we follow orders, not go on wild cowboy adventures and I'm not putting my men at risk, because frankly, your story sounds suspicious" No need for the bad table manners and disrespect.
    Last edited by Godzilla2099; 02-18-2023 at 06:55 PM.

As for Shaw, I don’t think he's a character well-written. (Again, I see sacrificial lamb for Seven's Promotion) There's a major difference between commanding and disrespect. They should have just kept him a By the Books guy with a dry personality. "Respectfully gentlemen, on my ship we follow orders, not go on wild cowboy adventures and I'm not putting my men at risk, because frankly, your story sounds suspicious" No need for the bad table manners and disrespect.
    Yeah, but if Shaw didn't do all that we wouldn't feel bad for poor Seven Of Nine who has just joined Star Fleet and is already a commander.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Yeah, but if Shaw didn't do all that we wouldn't feel bad for poor Seven Of Nine who has just joined Star Fleet and is already a commander.
    To be fair, 7 basically became Voyager's science officer and de facto deputy chief engineer almost instantly after being freed from the Collective. Limited manpower and extreme isolation notwithstanding, she did great in those positions. Her need for efficiency doubled with decades to find more emotional depth would have made her an ideal science officer or chief engineer. I'm not sure if she's ready for a Riker/Chakotay position, especially with an adversarial CO. The crew seem perfectly fine with her, though, which is a major point for her being actually good at her job.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    To be fair, 7 basically became Voyager's science officer and de facto deputy chief engineer almost instantly after being freed from the Collective. Limited manpower and extreme isolation notwithstanding, she did great in those positions. Her need for efficiency doubled with decades to find more emotional depth would have made her an ideal science officer or chief engineer. I'm not sure if she's ready for a Riker/Chakotay position, especially with an adversarial CO. The crew seem perfectly fine with her, though, which is a major point for her being actually good at her job.
    I don't even think of that character anymore. Nu-Trek Seven is so different that I just can't connect her to the Voyager character.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Incredible Member

I hope Wesley well be in this season to meet his brother. Wil Wheaton is the man, he should be part of this season with the TNG cast.

[QUOTE=Styles;6379473]I hope Wesley well be in this season to meet his brother. Wil Wheaton is the man, he should be part of this season with the TNG cast.

Nah, we're good.

Quote Originally Posted by Styles View Post
    I hope Wesley well be in this season to meet his brother. Wil Wheaton is the man, he should be part of this season with the TNG cast.
    Sadly, Wil Wheaton said he's not in s3. Of course, I'm hoping for a surprise call from him to Beverly in the final episode. Just a viewscreen interaction would be great.
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

I don't even think of that character anymore. Nu-Trek Seven is so different that I just can't connect her to the Voyager character.
    I can understand that. The years haven't been kind to 7 emotionally. Had she appeared for the first time in s3 instead of s1, I'm sure she'd be more like her VOY self, probably still with strong positive emotional connections to the former Voyager crew even if she never joined Starfleet herself. I'd imagine she'd have been an invaluable scientific consultant and obvious Borg expert.

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Styles View Post
    I actually forgot about Wesley. Despite Will Wheaton's relentless shilling, the writers made an entirely new son for Beverly Crusher, rather than bring him back. I wonder what story they're to give to Beverly explaining why she never told Jean-Luc about his son? (Its nearly obvious he's the father). Too bad Q couldn't time warp them to this century and put them on the Maury Show.

I can understand this feedback. Picard has some big-time canon inconsistencies to the point where I seriously wonder if this is an alternate universe. It feels like none of their writers watched Voyager.
    Last edited by Godzilla2099; 02-18-2023 at 06:53 PM.

Some fans are speculating that Shaw is possessed by the Conspiracy aliens, and that they're behind the whole conspiracy. Mainly because he was eating green steak. However this is Star Trek where there's probably some animal with green meat on some planet (Or a replicator recipe for that) or maybe it's just fun with food coloring.

Wonder who is the mother of Geordi's daughters (Another one is supposed to show up later on when he does I think). All Good Things had him married to Leah, and certainly the Picard series has used some ideas from AGT.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Gotta admit, when Beverly went all X-Files, my first thought was 'Conspiracy parasites'. It's the kind of deep dive I'd expect from this season. Memory Alpha provided this nice bit of dialogue from 'Conspiracy', too...

"You owe me, and you owe it to yourself to hear what I have to say. Something is beginning. Don't trust anyone. Remember that, Jean-Luc. Don't take anything for granted."
    - Walker Keel, to Captain Picard

If Shaw gets his head blown off, I'll cheer.

And it's obvious that the girls' mother is Aquiel. (Please don't hit me. )
    Last edited by nx01a; 02-18-2023 at 08:01 PM.

I actually forgot about Wesley. Despite Will Wheaton's relentless shilling, the writers made an entirely new son for Beverly Crusher, rather than bring him back. I wonder what story they're to give to Beverly explaining why she never told Jean-Luc about his son? (Its nearly obvious he's the father). Too bad Q couldn't time warp them to this century and put them on the Maury Show.
    What if it's that Irish space ghost from the episode "Sub Rosa"? Just kidding.

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    I can understand that. The years haven't been kind to 7 emotionally. Had she appeared for the first time in s3 instead of s1, I'm sure she'd be more like her VOY self, probably still with strong positive emotional connections to the former Voyager crew even if she never joined Starfleet herself. I'd imagine she'd have been an invaluable scientific consultant and obvious Borg expert.
    That is the classiest way of saying "The writing for seasons one and two were garbage" well done. As far as I'm concerned seasons one and two didn't happen and Picard only had one season, this season.
    Last edited by Anthony W; 02-18-2023 at 08:12 PM.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest