Page 99 of 136 FirstFirst ... 49899596979899100101102103109 ... LastLast
Results 1,471 to 1,485 of 2040

Quote Originally Posted by Robotech Master View Post
    Well, there's the DS9 connection they said would be in this season. But that still leaves mysteries about Vadic; a changeling would not, from what we know, single out Picard for scorn.
    Maybe made at him for assigning Sisko to DS9 in the first place? That's all I can really think of too. We don't really know what Enterprise was up to during the war, though. It seems, like Pike's Enterprise during the Klingon War in Discovery, that they wanted to keep Enterprise off the front lines.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 03-02-2023 at 02:40 PM.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Incredible Member Robotech Master's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Man, 2/3 out the gate!

Just waiting for them to drop the ball but I hope they can keep it going.
    Yeah, its already a better track record than both previous seasons for me, as 3 is where I felt Season 1 started to drag down and where Season 2 dove tailed.

Only thing I thought was iffy was that the conflict between Riker and Picard over their different orders felt forced. Riker may have been making tactical decisions based on the Shrike outgunning them, but Picard's recognition that they won't get away and should fight just because they'll be forced too is also kind of correct. At the very least, even if the portal tech turned Picard's plan against them, I don't feel like it warrants Riker angrily telling Picard to leave the bridge while adding "you've killed us all." If the idea is supposed to be that Jack's existence is throwing Picard off, then you'd think he would support trying to get away as it gets his son away from danger.

I do slightly suspect that its likely the death of Riker's son will be revealed as the result of something that could be interpreted as Riker being stubborn about fighting so now he avoids direct conflict, but we'll see.

Kind of interesting that it's a bit of a reversal, Riker being sort of more the reserved type while Picard's the more aggressive Kirk type.

Then again we sort of saw this in the movies and later seasons of TNG, with Picard taking on a more physical role anyway. In First Contact he's the guy with the phasers (and in one case, a holographic non-safety tommy gun), while Riker's on Earth dealing with a reluctant (and often drunk) Zefram Cochrane.

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    Haven't watched this yet, but is Raffi still not dead?
    Sadly, no.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Another good episode.

I'm not an expert in Opera but I recognized the piece Worf was listening to as the same one Picard was in First Contact. Also, awesome 1st scene.

I had a British father I never met but as a toddler I had been drawn to PBS and British Imports on it and thus I started using British Slang and Idioms and had a slight accent to the point when I started school, I was placed into speech class because they assume I was speaking incorrect English while in reality I was speaking the genuine article. So, Jack's accent never bothered especially given Picard is a proud French man with an English Accent. But I saw a lot of blowback about the whole accent thing so I love they added the line about him schooling in London that can no shut people up over something so trivial.

I disagree with assessments Shaw was cowardly in any way he was badly injured and angry that his crew was in danger exactly as he warned they would be, and he wanted they men who made this mess to fix since he was now MIA. Also, it was interesting to see crew POV with them pissed their lives are being risked for Jack.

I didn't think the deaging was that bad heck I remember when you could occasionally see glimpse of strings on the Enterprise back on TOS.

I thought they gave Beverly some justifiable reasons to keep Jack secret while also allowing Picard to be rightfully outraged.

One complaint and it's minor like very minor Sydny claiming she got flack for becoming a pilot vs an engineer her dad was a pilot before an engineer.

Oh, and hell yeah to Changelings being back and nice shout out to Odo.

What I'd love is another Dominion-esque Anti-Federation: the rogue Changelings have pulled together a few forgotten Trek baddies for one final strike. The Shrike even looks kinda like a Conspiracy alien.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    What I'd love is another Dominion-esque Anti-Federation: the rogue Changelings have pulled together a few forgotten Trek baddies for one final strike. The Shrike even looks kinda like a Conspiracy alien.
    Changeling teaming up with the Conspiracy aliens and maybe throwing in some Breen, Gorn, Remans, or Tholians would be cool.

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

As the father of an awesome 2 year old little boy, that's what it felt like listening to the crap spewing from Beverly's Mouth when she was trying to make excuses when Picard wanted to know why the most precious thing he'll ever experience in life was stolen from him. Her 'reasons' were total crap. Beverly also chose to live the life of Starfleet and took those risks as did her ex-husband. Blaming Picard for those dangers made zero sense. Picard couldn't have made his defenses any better. Yes, he lived an intense life, but was never offered the chance to change. My parents used to be heavy smokers. When they found out they were having me, Mom stopped immediately. Dad took a little longer but he never wanted me to do that stuff but figured he wouldn't convince me if he didn't stop either so he did. Jack would have been in no danger. Its not like Picard is some Cartel King or violent criminal. I'll give those two actors credit though, I had to pause that conversation several times because I was so angry listening to it.

Overall, it was an intense episode. More pros than cons but I might as well finish off the rest of the things I didn't like about this episode

- Captain Shaw: Said it before in a previous post. Didn't like how he complained about getting hurt and blamed Riker. Rather have seen him act like a captain, try to keep going but Riker insisting he goes to Sickbay and Shaw agrees. The way it was written makes Shaw give up too easily.

- Picard/Riker's Characters: Ok, Picard sounded like he was possessed by Kirk. The Picard I will always remember would have done everything to keep that crew alive. Him pleading over and over to fight did not sound like him at all. Riker I could see suggesting the offense but Picard definitely would have opted for the defense.

Pros:

+ Ship Fights: I love a good ship battle. This episode didn't disappoint.

+ Picard/Riker Conflict: My biggest complaint about TNG was very little disagreement. The atmosphere was too loll-pop. Seeing these two men deal with such high stakes on the line made it so interesting to watch

+ Worf: He was my favorite character this time.

+ DS9 References and Season 3's Plot Revealed: Excellent reveal. Overall, I'm not a fan of the writers of Picard, but I'll give props where credit is due. If I had to name one thing in Star Trek where I wish I knows what happened next, it would definitely be the aftermath of the Dominion War from DS9. Can't believe it took this long to finally be addressed.
    Last edited by Godzilla2099; 03-02-2023 at 10:43 PM.

BANNED

I agree completely. I found Beverly's behaviour in this matter to be really unexcusable.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla2099 View Post

As the father of an awesome 2 year old little boy, that's what it felt like listening to the crap spewing from Beverly's Mouth when she was trying to make excuses when Picard wanted to know why the most precious thing he'll ever experience in life was stolen from him. Her 'reasons' were total crap. Beverly also chose to live the life of Starfleet and took those risks as did her ex-husband. Blaming Picard for those dangers made zero sense. Picard couldn't have made his defenses any better. Yes, he lived an intense life, but was never offered the chance to change. My parents used to be heavy smokers. When they found out they were having me, Mom stopped immediately. Dad took a little longer but he never wanted me to do that stuff but figured he wouldn't convince me if he didn't stop either so he did. Jack would have been in no danger. Its not like Picard is some Cartel King or violent criminal. I'll give those two actors credit though, I had to pause that conversation several times because I was so angry listening to it.

Overall, it was an intense episode. More pros than cons but I might as well finish off the rest of the things I didn't like about this episode

- Captain Shaw: Said it before in a previous post. Didn't like how he complained about getting hurt and blamed Riker. Rather have seen him act like a captain, try to keep going but Riker insisting he goes to Sickbay and Shaw agrees. The way it was written makes Shaw give up too easily.

- Picard/Riker's Characters: Ok, Picard sounded like he was possessed by Kirk. The Picard I will always remember would have done everything to keep that crew alive. Him pleading over and over to fight did not sound like him at all. Riker I could see suggesting the offense but Picard definitely would have opted for the defense.

Pros:

+ Ship Fights: I love a good ship battle. This episode didn't disappoint.

+ Picard/Riker Conflict: My biggest complaint about TNG was very little disagreement. The atmosphere was too loll-pop. Seeing these two men deal with such high stakes on the line made it so interesting to watch

+ Worf: He was my favorite character this time.

+ DS9 References and Season 3's Plot Revealed: Excellent reveal. Overall, I'm not a fan of the writers of Picard, but I'll give props where credit is due. If I had to name one thing in Star Trek where I wish I knows what happened next, it would definitely be the aftermath of the Dominion War from DS9. Can't believe it took this long to finally be addressed.
    I wouldn't be surprised if this bickering was some kind of an act in order to expose the saboteur.

All the Trek villains teaming up was a concept used in some of the novels: https://villains.fandom.com/wiki/Typhon_Pact

Besides the average threats of his career and Picard goes above and beyond in putting himself in the way of danger and making enemies. He personally has had the Borg take a special interest in him, as well as a member of the Q, and the Romulan Empire they went as far as to clone him, he also has the Duras faction of the Klingon's personally pissed at him over his part in their family never coming to power, oh and there's an insane Ferengi who blames him for the death of his own son and would love to kill Picard's if he had one. But no Beverly was being unreasonable and never mind her own husband died under his command also.

She was wrong but not out of line. She was especially wrong to use his father against him and I'm glad Picard called that out.

But there is truth Picard never wanted kids and always maintained that stance even after Rene died, he never mentioned regret for not having kids only that the Picard line would end with him. I honestly always got the vibe he preferred commanding the E because it meant no more rugrats. Picard spent the better part of the last 2 decades sitting on his vineyard and he now sees a greener pasture where he could have been with Beverly raising a son, but if honest he'd see he'd never been happy with that life and just like on the vineyard would have longed for the stars. Picard is the type to make a great father to an adult child and a great granddad but not a great dad when it comes to the pesky raising part of the journey.

His conflict with Riker kind of shows it Riker changed when he became a dad and their struggle on the bridge mirror it. Riker is more cautious thinking about saving the crew Picard is more focused on defeating the enemy.

That "never wanted kids" part reminded me of a story thread in the final season of Private Practice. Addison and Sam were finally a couple, but he vehemently didn't want kids (well any more kids) and she did, even going as far as to adopt. The relationship falls apart, she meets Benjamin Bratt's character, they marry. Sam then has a casual relationship with his ex wife, with whom they already have a child together. She gets pregnant but like Addison she knows Sam doesn't want more kids and is scared to tell him. In the end she tells him and he's excited: he doesn't want to have any more kids...unless its with her.

Beverly had no way of knowing if she would be the exception to the rule. That Picard wouldn't want kids unless it was with her. Picard didn't say it outright but he mentioned marriage as one of the possibilities that could have happened if he had known. Being wanted by baddies complete with attempts on his life...while true, she doesn't know what steps he would have taken if he was suddenly a father. Having something to lose besides his own life would have made him of all people especially clever in that regard.

Also...how long was he at his vineyard? The baddies didn't come left right and center then, he was left alone for damn near two decades. Beverly decided he was radioactive and didn't bother to check from time to time to see if that changed? In fact hear her tell it SHE wound up getting into one dangerous conflict after another now with a CHILD in tow.

That's the part that gets me, she comes off as a hypocrite. Picard, being Picard, was too dangerous, fine. Being a Crusher WASN'T dangerous but then you LOOK for dangerous conflicts and stay in them for all of the 20 years Picard was peacefully at his vineyard. One hell (constantly on the run from enemies you created) is better than another (wondering if you'll get killed with, or because of, Picard) it seems.

As for Jack...yeah it's some Typhon Pact ish. I maintain its about Picard but only indirectly. His human body, with all that borg stuff, is gone. But what if it was passed to Jack in some way? Also I wonder if that was a vision from the Prophets that he had. I noticed except for Sacrifice of Angels the Prophets and the Dominion War/Changlings never interacted. Even then they probably considered it some unknown but clever move from Starfleet and never thought twice about it.

I also considered what if the nebula was actually the chism of Changlings, but then there'd be no need for a sabateur.

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Besides the average threats of his career and Picard goes above and beyond in putting himself in the way of danger and making enemies. He personally has had the Borg take a special interest in him, as well as a member of the Q, and the Romulan Empire they went as far as to clone him, he also has the Duras faction of the Klingon's personally pissed at him over his part in their family never coming to power, oh and there's an insane Ferengi who blames him for the death of his own son and would love to kill Picard's if he had one. But no Beverly was being unreasonable and never mind her own husband died under his command also.

She was wrong but not out of line. She was especially wrong to use his father against him and I'm glad Picard called that out.

But there is truth Picard never wanted kids and always maintained that stance even after Rene died, he never mentioned regret for not having kids only that the Picard line would end with him. I honestly always got the vibe he preferred commanding the E because it meant no more rugrats. Picard spent the better part of the last 2 decades sitting on his vineyard and he now sees a greener pasture where he could have been with Beverly raising a son, but if honest he'd see he'd never been happy with that life and just like on the vineyard would have longed for the stars. Picard is the type to make a great father to an adult child and a great granddad but not a great dad when it comes to the pesky raising part of the journey.

His conflict with Riker kind of shows it Riker changed when he became a dad and their struggle on the bridge mirror it. Riker is more cautious thinking about saving the crew Picard is more focused on defeating the enemy.
    Beverly was completely out of line. She was 100% wrong

If Bev had that warped sense of logic and blamed Picard for all her misfortune, then she should have requested being stationed on another ship. Or better yet not shag him. Or maybe she should have used birth control (I'm sure it exists in the 24th century)

Beverly was also a member of starfleet as her ex husband. Everybody signed up to face the unknown
    She claims she did this to protect their son. Look at how that turned out. She of all people show know how capable and resourceful Picard is
    Wesley grew up without a father. That was due to unfortunate circumstances. Now Bev's other son grows up without a father. That's totally on her

I personally never wanted kids, but my wife did. She liked where she lived and made a lot more money than me, but she moved to my area because my parents are ill and I wanted to be close to them. And I'm supposed to tell her she can't have children either? There has to be compromise. Relationships are about sacrifice. With this little boy, yes, I miss my freedom and energy but at the same time seeing my little guy running to me first thing in the morning, trying to imitate me when I'm in the garage trying to fix something. He'd rather be at my side than in his playroom. Those are the moments that make sacrifice worth it. Picard never got that chance to experience it or even get had the chance to make the decision/prove that he can change. People can change if you give them a chance. I did and so did my parents. It may take time but it can happen.

Picard on the other hand is right. Bev had no right to make that decision by by herself. He never had the chance to see if he could change and missed out on probably the best thing in his life. She wanted out of the relationship, then fine, but you don't take a father and son away from each other.

Only if Beverly told him and if Picard chose duty over family would Bev's Opinion hold weight
    Last edited by Godzilla2099; 03-03-2023 at 09:06 AM.