Page 103 of 136 FirstFirst ... 3539399100101102103104105106107113 ... LastLast
Results 1,531 to 1,545 of 2040

It sucks that we are really only getting good episodes now in the third season. If we had this story in Season 1, this show would be pretty damn legendary.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Another great episode!
    Can't do a full review right now but here are my favourite scenes... all featuring Shaw!
    st1.jpg
    He really manages to say 'no' to things most people always say 'yes' to.
    st2.jpg
    Yup, Shaw's a stoner. Probably medically prescribed for his obvious PTSD and survivor's guilt.
    st3.jpg
    I really feel for him now. I hope he lives.

...and the music reminded me of the score throughout The Nth Degree.
    Last edited by nx01a; 03-09-2023 at 06:58 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Shaw is becoming one of my favorite characters as well!

Man, what a turnaround this show has made in Season 3. I finally feel my Trek love flowing again!
    Age of Marvels and DC Next Dawn - Monthly Fan Made Solicitation Competitions on these very forums, make your pulls now! Want back story? Check the Wiki!

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

This was one of the best Trek Episodes I have seen in a long time. It felt like a modern TNG.

So much good stuff to list. Riker and Shaw stole the show for me. I say this because we see how the pain these men experienced shape them. How they wear these scars but at the same time trudge on.

Only three things bother me:

Beverly Crusher: Trust the crew? Are you kidding me lady? I'd rather trust a rattlesnake wearing a "Pet Me" sign more than I'd trust her. As the father of a two year old, what she did was unforgivable in my eyes. Shame too because she used to be a favorite.

The Changling: Ok, why would you be stationed on the ship before he even knew about Crusher? Or even Picard/Riker joining? Before those cowboys joined, it was going to be a routine scheduling. I ask this because I highly doubt this question will be answered. Also, it was a stupid creature overall. If your cover is blown, take your regenerating pot and hide it somewhere else...not at the scene of a crime.

Profanity: F-Bombs don't feel right in Star Trek, especially because that topic was so well addressed from the Bus Scene in Star Trek IV (The Crew of the Enterprise had to travel to the 1980s to retrieve humpback whales):
    Kirk: You mean the profanity? That's simply the way they talk here. Nobody pays attention to you unless you swear every other word.
    Last edited by Godzilla2099; 03-09-2023 at 07:37 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla2099 View Post
    This was one of the best Trek Episodes I have seen in a long time. It felt like a modern TNG.

So much good stuff to list. Riker and Shaw stole the show for me. I say this because we see how the pain these men experienced shape them. How they wear these scars but at the same time trudge on.

Only three things bother me:

Beverly Crusher: Trust the crew? Are you kidding me lady? I'd rather trust a rattlesnake wearing a "Pet Me" sign more than I'd trust her. As the father of a two year old, what she did was unforgivable in my eyes. Shame too because she used to be a favorite.

The Changling: Ok, why would you be stationed on the ship before he even knew about Crusher? Or even Picard/Riker joining? Before those cowboys joined, it was going to be a routine scheduling. I ask this because I highly doubt this question will be answered. Also, it was a stupid creature overall. If your cover is blown, take your regenerating pot and hide it somewhere else...not at the scene of a crime.

Profanity: F-Bombs don't feel right in Star Trek, especially because that topic was so well addressed from the Bus Scene in Star Trek IV (The Crew of the Enterprise had to travel to the 1980s to retrieve humpback whales):
    Kirk: You mean the profanity? That's simply the way they talk here. Nobody pays attention to you unless you swear every other word.
    Couldn't agree more on this one. Beverly was unforgivable. It baffles me that she gets a clear pass and yet Trekkers/Trekkies are belittling Burnam in every single chance they get.
    And a disclaimer... I also like Beverly. But I happen to like the Beverly of TNGseries/movies, not that selfish hypocrite.

Burnman committed an act of mutiny and her actions helped lead the Federation into the Klingon War.

Edit: Another issue with Burnman is she never had a Sisko or Shaw that called her out either. Tom Paris got a frostier reception on Voyager in Caretaker than she did on Discovery after the Battle of the Binary Star.

Beverly chose to keep her son's existence a secret from a man who never wanted kids and at the time lived a dangerous life that would have made her kid a target. Also, the last time Picard thought he had a son someone wanted to kill him.
    Last edited by Jokerz79; 03-10-2023 at 06:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Burnman committed an act of mutiny and her actions helped lead the Federation into the Klingon War.

Beverly chose to keep her son's existence a secret from a man who never wanted kids and at the time lived a dangerous life that would have made her kid a target. Also, the last time Picard thought he had a son someone wanted to kill him.
    I agree. While what she did was wrong, I can't stay mad at her given the circumstances. Of course, I'm not having kids so I don't understand the emotions actual parents are feeling regarding this.
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    I agree. While what she did was wrong, I can't stay mad at her given the circumstances. Of course, I'm not having kids so I don't understand the emotions actual parents are feeling regarding this.
    Yeah, I don't agree with what Beverly did but I can understand it.

Edit: Another issue with Burnman is she never had a Sisko or Shaw that called her out either. Tom Paris got a frostier reception on Voyager in Caretaker than she did on Discovery after the Battle of the Binary Star.
    Agreed. I dropped Discovery at the end of Season 1. My favorite character was Lorca and my least favorite was Burnham so at the end I didn't have much motivation to continue. However, what you said always bothered me. Burnham committed mutiny and her actions led to a war with the Klingons but somehow she got promoted to captain later on? She should have been court martialed. Never pressed the matter because I dropped Discovery so early, figured it'd have been addressed.

This I completely disagree with.

For the record, I never wanted kids either. I didn't have my son until I was 40. Before that, my life was as care-free as you could make it. Lived by myself, traveled, and a share of casual relationships. Then I met my wife. She makes a lot more money than me and liked where she lived but dropped it all and moved to my location because I wanted to be close to my parents who were ill. Now I'm supposed to tell her she can't have kids either? If you care for that person enough, there needs to be compromises. At first, I really didn't like being a father. I had no freedom, no energy, and barely any happiness. I missed my old life. It took some time for me to adjust but later on, I got that bond with my son. Forget about the first steps/words, its those candid moments that count. If I have to fix something in the garage, my little guy would rather be there with me than in his play room with all his toys. Or on Halloween, (I mostly work an 11-8 shift but I can work from home) as soon as my shift is done I run out to find him and his mom. Little guy sees me, drops all his stuff and runs over to me smiling. Picard will never experience those moments because Beverly stole them.

My point is people can change but you have to give them a chance if they're willing to try. It may not be overnight, but it can happen.

As for this "You're a danger to our child" crap I call BS for so many reasons. 1. It wasn't Picard calling Beverly for help because he was in danger. 2. Both my parents were heavy smokers. When they found out they were having me, mom stopped immediately. Took dad some time but he never wanted me doing that stuff so he figured the only way to convince me was if he stopped to so he did. 3. If Beverly's Mindset was, "my life is wrecked because of you Picard" then she should have requested to be stationed on another ship, better yet not shag him, and maybe use birth control (I'm pretty sure it exists in the 24th century)

Sorry for the long rant but to me this matter is as black and white as it gets. There isn't a shade of grey here. Picard was completely right and Beverly was dead wrong. Like I said before, in TNG Beverly was one of my favorite characters. Hell, I had a huge crush on her back in the day. Now I don't ever want to hear her talk.
    Last edited by Godzilla2099; 03-10-2023 at 07:39 AM.

Something else I'm wondering about. When did Riker lose his son? Was it after Season 1 of Picard?

I ask because when you see him in Season 1, Pizza-Maker Riker was a happy man enjoying his life. He also had no problem risking his life against the Romulans to save Picard.

Mighty Member

It seems Picard continues that classic Trek trend of bad or at least, a little underwhelming season 1/2 and getting on course for season 3. What is it about these shows that can't find their footing in the first 2 seasons?

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla2099 View Post
    Something else I'm wondering about. When did Riker lose his son? Was it after Season 1 of Picard?

I ask because when you see him in Season 1, Pizza-Maker Riker was a happy man enjoying his life. He also had no problem risking his life against the Romulans to save Picard.
    Thad died before Season 1 of Picard I'm guessing in story he was masking his grief and not dealing with it. Also, his cameo at the end of the season I heard was a last-minute thing originally it was going to be just some generic Captain. Then someone said "Hey, why not use Riker?".

Trekculture speculated that the stuff at the end of season one might've reopened some old wounds.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Had this training happened in any other season, Raffi would have kicked Worf's ass while telling him that's he's old and his ways are outdated.

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    Had this training happened in any other season, Raffi would have kicked Worf's ass while telling him that's he's old and his ways are outdated.
    Season 2 hinted that she had a chance at taking on Q