Page 31 of 136 FirstFirst ... 212728293031323334354181131 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post

We have our second all female organisation in the Zhat Vash. Why are they all female? No idea.
    I'll leave the rest of your criticisms alone because I try not to argue taste or preference, only production and fact, but...

Why would the existence of any all-female org ever need to be explained? Trek has had scores of all-male leaders (the Fed president's cabinet in VI, for example, or Gowron's council) and villains (the Hirogen, essentially all of Dukat's various henchmen, the Xindi, etc) and never had the urge to ask why they're all men. Heck, IRL the US Senate didn't start to get decent female representation until less than 30 years ago -- but no one asked why the Senate was all men or would revert to being all men.

Their being female seems like the least of the criticism. Plus, we're still getting only bits and pieces of them. It's not like this show (or any show, Trek or not) is going to explain all mythology in one corner of its universe in a single episode. It took 5 whole series since the 60s to flesh out the Klingons, and there's likely even more to learn about them in future episodes -- and they have wayyy more screen time than the Romulans.
    Last edited by Cyke; 03-12-2020 at 08:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    I'll leave the rest of your criticisms alone because I try not to argue taste or preference, only production and fact, but...

Why would the existence of any all-female org ever need to be explained? Trek has had scores of all-male leaders (the Fed president's cabinet in VI, for example, or Gowron's council) and villains (the Hirogen, essentially all of Dukat's various henchmen, the Xindi, etc) and never had the urge to ask why they're all men.
    If anything you just made the case for explaining why they are all female even stronger. Given that the Tal Shiar has always had a mix of men and women you just don't drop an even more secret society on us that is all female and don't expect people to ask why.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    Their being female seems like the least of the criticism. Plus, we're still getting only bits and pieces of them. It's not like this show (or any show, Trek or not) is going to explain all mythology in one corner of its universe in a single episode. It took 5 whole series since the 60s to flesh out the Klingons, and there's likely even more to learn about them in future episodes -- and they have wayyy more screen time than the Romulans.
    Except I have zero faith in this show to flesh them out because they also introduced a bunch of warrior nuns out of nowhere because it would look cool to have a ninja/samurai type who cuts people's heads off. Why were they all women? Who knows?
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    There is bad...and then there is Star Trek Discovery bad. This manages to be worst.
    To each their own. I think Discovery and Picard are the two best Trek shows ever. They have given new life to the franchise in terms of showing actual character growth and continuity while doing away with a lot of the silly conventions of the old shows like how every alien race looked uniformly alike in haircut and clothing.

I really liked this last episode of Picard.

I don't hate Picard but with Alex Kurtzman I think we have entered what I call the Michael Bay era of Trek because Picard and Discovery remind me in quality and effect on the franchise the same as the Bayformers had on Transformers.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    I don't hate Picard but with Alex Kurtzman I think we have entered what I call the Michael Bay era of Trek because Picard and Discovery remind me in quality and effect on the franchise the same as the Bayformers had on Transformers.
    For all of Kurtzman's faults the franchise is in better shape than it was under Berman and Braga. It finally feels like it's relevant again, the Michael Bay era are the two Abrams movies.

So did Narissa get assimilated?

So for a brief second Seven became the Borg Queen. Her hesitation, both before being hooked up, and when Space Elf Wesley asked "Are you going to assimilate me?" spoke volumes, at least to me. The power is so intoxicating you can become lost it, maybe even addicted to it.

So the isotope in Jurati wasn't deactivated? Or Narissa's brother figured out another way to track them?

So Oh is half Vulcan half Romulan. Chabon hinted there's a reason why she wore sunglasses, I wonder if that's it?

I'm glad they went somewhere else other than Deep Space Twelve: they didn't put together Oh was the traitor until AFTER Admiral-Gotta-Say-****-Every-Appearance put together a crew that would rendezvous with them there. I'm sure she told Oh who would have someone already there waiting to execute Picard and co. the instant they arrive. Or an "accident" in docking or something.

Quote Originally Posted by TriggerWarning View Post
    To each their own. I think Discovery and Picard are the two best Trek shows ever. They have given new life to the franchise in terms of showing actual character growth and continuity while doing away with a lot of the silly conventions of the old shows like how every alien race looked uniformly alike in haircut and clothing.

I really liked this last episode of Picard.
    I think you might be mistaking a bigger budget for more creativity. With Discovery all I see is Burnham doing the chosen one stuff while flying around in an Iron Man suit while having epic space battles that you would find in Star Wars to save us from Skynet. In Picard all I'm seeing is a Prothean Relay warning us of an Synthetic uprising.

This era of Trek does have better actors overall.
    This era of Trek is stunning to look at.
    The stories just aren't there.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    For all of Kurtzman's faults the franchise is in better shape than it was under Berman and Braga. It finally feels like it's relevant again, the Michael Bay era are the two Abrams movies.
    Berman era had TNG, TNG Movies, DS9, VOY, and ENT. Is it better now? Hell No that for all its faults gave us some of the best Trek.

As for Abrams him and Kurtzman are halves of the same coin the Trek Bay era started with Abrams and continues with Kurtzman.

Basically

Star Trek 2009 was Transformers 2007 flashy but okay just needed some improvements going forward.

Into Darkness is Revenge of the Fallen "Oh god they doubled down on the bad".

Discovery is Last Knight really bad and makes no sense in their previous established timeline.

Picard is Dark of the Moon bringing back an old fan fav Stewart in Picard and Nimoy in Dark of the Moon some cool scenes but a lot of WTF this is bad.

Star Trek Beyond was Bumblebee it can be good if others do it.

As for Abrams him and Kurtzman are halves of the same coin the Trek Bay era started with Abrams and continues with Kurtzman
    And remember that Abrams has gone on record saying that he was not a Trek fan and Kurtzman's Spider-Man was meh and the less said about The Mummy the better.

Thumbs up

I felt cheated by the last episode. I wanted two things out of it and got neither -

1.) Full-on Borg Drones in action using modern special effects.

2.) A flashback to Rios' Starfleet career.

how disappointing...
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    So did Narissa get assimilated?
    No, she escaped. Rewatch that scene carefully. You'll see that she gets beamed out from under the dog pile before any damage is done.

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    I felt cheated by the last episode. I wanted two things out of it and got neither -

1.) Full-on Borg Drones in action using modern special effects.

how disappointing...
    I have a hunch that Rios is also a hologram as well or ends up dying and having one created based on his main personality. Remember he had himself fully scanned to create the other holograms. Somewhere on the ship is a record of his full personality.

Astonishing Member

Berman era had TNG, TNG Movies, DS9, VOY, and ENT. Is it better now? Hell No that for all its faults gave us some of the best Trek.

As for Abrams him and Kurtzman are halves of the same coin the Trek Bay era started with Abrams and continues with Kurtzman.

Basically

Star Trek 2009 was Transformers 2007 flashy but okay just needed some improvements going forward.

Into Darkness is Revenge of the Fallen "Oh god they doubled down on the bad".

Discovery is Last Knight really bad and makes no sense in their previous established timeline.

Picard is Dark of the Moon bringing back an old fan fav Stewart in Picard and Nimoy in Dark of the Moon some cool scenes but a lot of WTF this is bad.

Star Trek Beyond was Bumblebee it can be good if others do it.
    DS9 barely counts, Berman and the production avoided each other. It was good in spite of him, not because of him. Voyager and Enterprise are disasters, aside from the final season where he wasn't the showrunner.

Abrams films are not the same as Kurtzman's tv shows. Discovery was a breath of fresh air that the franchise badly needed. Picard is not TNG 2.0, it's about what Picard would be like in an era, post-Brexit.

Loved Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    DS9 barely counts, Berman and the production avoided each other. It was good in spite of him, not because of him. Voyager and Enterprise are disasters, aside from the final season where he wasn't the showrunner.

Abrams films are not the same as Kurtzman's tv shows. Discovery was a breath of fresh air that the franchise badly needed. Picard is not TNG 2.0, it's about what Picard would be like in an era, post-Brexit.

Loved Beyond.
    We have to agree to disagree because where you saw Discovery as a breathe of fresh air I saw it as a fart in the room.

Even with their faults I'd take ENT and VOY over Picard or Discovery.

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post

how disappointing...
    From the picture they showed he didn't have the beard back then, so...
    HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/store