Page 41 of 136 FirstFirst ... 313738394041424344455191 ... LastLast
    BANNED

hilarious

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    Naw, in the interim (between season 1 and 2) it'll be revealed Seven only wanted a one night stand and Raffi wanted more, giving Raffi something brand new to complain and get drunk/high/both about.
    I can't wait till she calls Seven, ess.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Elmo View Post

hilarious
    Around 1:20:00 to the end the points made are tough to argue with. This show is basically Stewart showing everyone how much he loves himself.

That little montage at the end broke my heart. The fact that anyone can consider this true to Star Trek....just why?

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
    Around 1:20:00 to the end the points made are tough to argue with. This show is basically Stewart showing everyone how much he loves himself.

That little montage at the end broke my heart. The fact that anyone can consider this true to Star Trek....just why?
    Another thing, the Evil Super A.I. Monster(s) is a moron. Part of it was already through the portal when said portal was shutdown. It is apparently ultra-advanced and the portal was of its own creation yet it can't find our universe/galaxy without the beacon it already received the info from, please a modern GPS could do better. What a totally contrived ending. Bad writing 101 from a group of third rate scientifically illiterate hacks.
    Last edited by Celgress; 05-20-2020 at 04:49 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

I still say that Tecthulhu should have come through the portal, disabled the Federation and Romulan fleets, and either be reasoned with by Soji and Picard OR turn out to be actually benign. I prefer the benign option since the obvious expectation is that tentacle monsters from beyond space/time are evil.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    I still say that Tecthulhu should have come through the portal, disabled the Federation and Romulan fleets, and either be reasoned with by Soji and Picard OR turn out to be actually benign. I prefer the benign option since the obvious expectation is that tentacle monsters from beyond space/time are evil.
    I agree, either the signal should have been stopped before it was sent or the A.I. monsters should have come through and have been dealt with in some way. What they ended up doing made the A.I. monsters seem stupid/ineffectual and, as far as I can tell, was done for no reason other than to show some huge Doctor Octopus arms.
    Age of Marvels and DC Next Dawn - Monthly Fan Made Solicitation Competitions on these very forums, make your pulls now! Want back story? Check the Wiki!

There's a theory that they were the race that upgraded V'ger. The bio-organic look also seems a bit similar to the Borg and the Narada (Nero's ship From the reboot) as well, although there's been fan theories or Expanded Universe stories about the three being connected for years. For instance the IDW comcs have the Narada gain it's appearence by using borg tech, and then the Narada in the Kelvinverse hangs out with V'ger for a bit before it returns to pick up Nero....or something like that.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    There's a theory that they were the race that upgraded V'ger. The bio-organic look also seems a bit similar to the Borg and the Narada (Nero's ship From the reboot) as well, although there's been fan theories or Expanded Universe stories about the three being connected for years. For instance the IDW comcs have the Narada gain it's appearence by using borg tech, and then the Narada in the Kelvinverse hangs out with V'ger for a bit before it returns to pick up Nero....or something like that.
    Oh awesome that clears it all up. Except not at all

Yeah, it's reaching I think. I think Gene Rodenberry came up with the idea first, and then Shatner put it into his "Captain Kirk comes back from the dead" novels.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

I know there's always been hints here and there that V'ger and the Borg are connected, but I got a feeling Star Trek: Picard won't explore any of that. Techthulu will be something original.

Though I'll say this...one thing that turned me off about the novels (maybe all of them being non-canon is a good thing) how everything is connected. For instance, did there really need to be a connection between the Trill symbiote and those parasites in TNG's "Conspiracy"?

So, yeah, there doesn't appear to be a connection between the Borg, V'ger, and Techthulu and frankley I'm glad. New adventures with Picard 2.0 and Miss Data that doesn't keep reaching backwards, ie old plotlines. Maddox was enough IMO.

I know there's always been hints here and there that V'ger and the Borg are connected, but I got a feeling Star Trek: Picard won't explore any of that. Techthulu will be something original.

Though I'll say this...one thing that turned me off about the novels (maybe all of them being non-canon is a good thing) how everything is connected. For instance, did there really need to be a connection between the Trill symbiote and those parasites in TNG's "Conspiracy"?

So, yeah, there doesn't appear to be a connection between the Borg, V'ger, and Techthulu and frankley I'm glad. New adventures with Picard 2.0 and Miss Data that doesn't keep reaching backwards, ie old plotlines. Maddox was enough IMO.
    I disagree completely. In an ongoing saga such connections are a wonderful thing to see, they add layers of interwoven complexity to the universe. One of the reasons I feel the current Star Wars (across all media) is superior to the current Star Trek is all the easter eggs and callbacks. Despite its faults, current Star Wars isn't ashamed of its legacy or afraid to draw liberally from Legends material. You want Stormtroopers sure thing, a Rebel fleet here you go, lightsaber battles yup. There is no reason to reinvent the wheel by becoming Fire Fly Lite when there is an established formula to drawn from. I want my Star Trek to be Star Trek, i.e. set on a Star Fleet vessel/station, not to be Fire Fly or Star Wars set on some space bum's pirate type ship.
    Last edited by Celgress; 05-21-2020 at 12:20 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

I'm constantly annoyed by how every corrupt Starfleet bureaucrat, especially the Admirals, have been retconned into Section 31 agents in the novels. Like, sometimes a bad guy being a bad guy on his own terms is more than enough, and it actually gives them more agency in their bad guyness rather than taking orders from someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    I disagree completely. In an ongoing saga such connections are a wonderful thing to see, they add layers of interwoven complexity to the universe. One of the reasons I feel the current Star Wars (across all media) is superior to the current Star Trek is all the easter eggs and callbacks. Despite its faults, current Star Wars isn't ashamed of its legacy or afraid to draw liberally from Legends material. You want Stormtroopers sure thing, a Rebel fleet here you go, lightsaber battles yup. There is no reason to reinvent the wheel by becoming Fire Fly Lite when there is an established formula to drawn from. I want my Star Trek to be Star Trek, i.e. set on a Star Fleet vessel/station, not to be Fire Fly or Star Wars set on some space bum's pirate type ship.
    So its either past connections or Firefly / Star Wars redux? Funny how that works and how its not something I even suggested.

They had to tell original stories in the first place in order to have connections to go back to, I'm saying get back to that instead of "this new story is based on this old story".

This show, so far, isn't in danger of that, but the novels were brought up and it was something that bugged me about the novels. That and the fanfic nature of it (i.e. someone decided Worf should be with Grilka after all).

I think that's something unique to novel/book/game adaptations of TV/movie franchises, Star Trek being the major example. If you're reading the Star Trek novels, you're probably a big fan of the franchise who wants to see "Star Trek stuff" and will recognize the references. You get to see more of something you're familiar with, and I think that allows Star Trek fans to invest more into the adaptation. At the same time, you also probably know that the novels don't "count" as much as something that appears on film and might be less invested in something totally original that's not connected to anything in the franchise before.
    Age of Marvels and DC Next Dawn - Monthly Fan Made Solicitation Competitions on these very forums, make your pulls now! Want back story? Check the Wiki!