Page 106 of 136 FirstFirst ... 65696102103104105106107108109110116 ... LastLast
Results 1,576 to 1,590 of 2040

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla2099 View Post
    I'm getting more convinced we're dealing with a Pah Wraith. Maybe that missing captain will return to deal with the Wraith.
    Brooks won't return if the details of the story involve him having JUST returned. He doesn't want Sisko to retroactively be a deadbeat dad, which avoiding that implication is why he fought so hard to have that line about returning included in the DS9 season finale. Cirroc Lofton, who talks to him often, tried to make this known but I guess other people's personal narratives override this info. In fact, I highly suspect Lofton won't return either, both out of solidarity with Brooks and if any script has Jake saying his dad never returned. I'd probably add Penny Johnson (Yates) to that list too.

Anyone else though is fair game. I understand Kira and Quark returned for an ep of Lower Decks. I'd personally like to see O'Brian again.

I say this will respect but I think some are projecting onto Picard their own feelings if a woman cut them out of their child's life without taking into account, we aren't Jean-Luc Picard.

If this had been Sisko, Archer, or Pike I'd agree but Kirk and Picard are men cut from a different clothe. In the Nexus Kirk admitted it wasn't not having a family he truly regrets it was leaving the captain's chair. Carol Marcus had less justification than Beverly and she did the right thing because she gave Kirk an out. James T. Kirk was always going to be an absentee father he wasn't going to turn down the command of the Enterprise and it's 5-year mission. Carol's decision allowed him to do so without a son always wondering why daddy wasn't coming home for his birthdays, 1st days of schools, games, etc. Daddy simply wasn't in the picture.

One of the aspects of Picard season one that bothered me that I haven't mentioned is Picard with young Elnor and him playing with him that felt so strange that felt more like Patrick and not Jean-Luc. Because Picard was always adamant, he didn't want kids he wasn't even comfortable around them. Only Inner Light did he show any interest in the idea. 1st thing he tells Riker is to help him with the kids on the Enterprise-D because he's not good with them. I firmly believed he was relieved to command the Enterprise-E since it had no children.

Picard's life was dangerous the Borg showed interest in him as Shaw said the only Borg to be given a name. The Romulans cloned him, the Duras family had a grudge against him, DaiMon Bok literally wanted to kill even a make-believe son of his for revenge. Also, Q wasn't Uncle Arthur from Bewitched he was usually Mr. Myxlplyx and I don't see Superman making him his son's Godfather. Then there are just the countless number of enemies Picard has made in his career. Picard in season one sat in the Romulans only section because he likes to poke hornets' nest. The whole point to Picard on the vineyard is that's not the life he wanted even at the beginning of this season what did he tell Laris I want an adventure.

As for the Dangers in Beverly's life she was basically the 24th/25th centuries version of Doctors without Borders and until recently Jack was never in danger that wasn't his own making and it appears the danger now is because they want Jack, and we don't know the reason yet. She called Picard because 1 she trusted him and 2 it was a Picard level threat, she believed there was a possibility they might have been being targeted because of him. As for protection Beverly was knocking on 50's door at the end of Nemesis, I doubt she assumed she'd get up the duff at that age.

Picard was a man who never wanted kids, had many powerful and dangerous enemies including literal Empires and Collectives, and loved being in the thick of it. Beverly may have not been right, but she was also not wrong. She chose what she thought was best to protect her child that's not an unforgivable act that's being a good mother.

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

I'll be the first to admit what Beverly did angered me because of my personal experiences, but its completely justified because the way I see it, having some sort of experience makes you understand what happened better.

Carol told Kirk about their child and both agreed that he wouldn't be around. (I couldn't grasp a contract like that but ok)

But the thing is Carol at least told Kirk. Kirk made his choice. Picard never got that chance. My point is you can't take Beverly's Side because Picard never had the choice to be a father. She made that decision for him. This isn't someone ordering something from a restaurant menu for you. She took a father from knowing his son and a son from father. That's some cold-hearted shit in my books.

Q wasn't Myxlplyx. Q was the teacher you hated because he always pushed you, but it turned out it was he knew you could do so much better. "For that one fraction of a second, you were open to options you had never considered. THAT is the exploration that awaits you. Not mapping starts or studying nebula. But charting the unknown possibilities...of existence!"

Jack Crusher is a young man that's been around the block. He's no stranger to smuggling and bribing authorities. His childhood didn't appear safe and happy. I got more of a John/Sarah Conner upbringing.

I enjoyed my bachelor life and was the guy that said I never wanted kids. Yes, some people are set in their ways, but you're not going to find that out until you give them the choice to see if they'll change their ways.

If Bev told Picard, she'd have had a defense but she didn't. She was 100% wrong.
    Last edited by Godzilla2099; 03-17-2023 at 12:16 PM.

I think there's a middle ground between absolving Beverly of any blame and acting like she's the Devil incarnate. What she did was undeniably wrong, even if she had her good intentions. But she's human and we all make mistakes, some bigger than others. That doesn't negate the good things she's done or her other positive personality traits. It's ok to forgive her, even if you dislike what she did.

Kind of wondering because of last episode's surprise the rumor about Yar that Crosby hinted at last year but was walked back by Matalas in Jan might have some substance to it.

Maybe the mysterious voice talking could be Sela? Although Romulans never seem to have the telepathic powers of their relatives, although the Remans do (although it's still unknown if they're related to Romulans/Vulcans, really.)
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Captain Shaw would be a horrible character for a spin-off. He doesn't actually want to do anything exciting or adventurous. Every plot would be about his crew disobeying him to go and seek out that weird anomaly of whatever lol if it were up to him, all they'd do is scan nebulas for an hour. That's not great TV.

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    Captain Shaw would be a horrible character for a spin-off. He doesn't actually want to do anything exciting or adventurous. Every plot would be about his crew disobeying him to go and seek out that weird anomaly of whatever lol if it were up to him, all they'd do is scan nebulas for an hour. That's not great TV.
    That's a wrong take on Shaw he'd be all for exploring or fighting if ordered too he's just not going to put his crew in danger to help two "relics" especially after they highjacked his ship.

Let's say there was no Enterprise-E and in 2373 or so a few years after the Enterprise-D was lost Picard and Riker showed up on DS9 under false pretenses because Beverly was missing, and they convinced Worf and O'Brien to let them "borrow" the Defiant to go into let's say Gorn space to get her. Sisko's reaction would be legendary.

We've had seasons, films and decades to bond with Picard, Riker, and Seven which makes us side with them, but honestly Shaw's position isn't wrong and doesn't make him a coward or gun-shy.

I'm not saying he's wrong or cowardly. I'm saying his attitude is t really conducive for a less character. He makes a great foil for the typical Star Trek MCs but I can't see a ship he's helming being interesting without someone to play off. He's very much the type to "play it safe," which would be boring imo.

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    Brooks won't return if the details of the story involve him having JUST returned. He doesn't want Sisko to retroactively be a deadbeat dad, which avoiding that implication is why he fought so hard to have that line about returning included in the DS9 season finale. Cirroc Lofton, who talks to him often, tried to make this known but I guess other people's personal narratives override this info. In fact, I highly suspect Lofton won't return either, both out of solidarity with Brooks and if any script has Jake saying his dad never returned. I'd probably add Penny Johnson (Yates) to that list too.

Anyone else though is fair game. I understand Kira and Quark returned for an ep of Lower Decks. I'd personally like to see O'Brian again.
    Brooks having Sisko taking the role as a single father was important to him. He wanted to inspire others in similar situations.

Kasidy said she was pregnant shortly before Sisko ascended with the Prophets. If I was a writer and wanted to convince Brooks to return (Trust me, I would and I'd try) I have Sisko return with a young man/lady accompanying him. That person would be his second child. It was revealed that Sisko actually returned back often but his time was too brief. Sisko agreed to help the Prophets but only if he was allowed to spend time with his children. Personally I think Brooks would agree to that.
    Last edited by Godzilla2099; 03-17-2023 at 02:43 PM.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

I think there's a middle ground between absolving Beverly of any blame and acting like she's the Devil incarnate. What she did was undeniably wrong, even if she had her good intentions. But she's human and we all make mistakes, some bigger than others. That doesn't negate the good things she's done or her other positive personality traits. It's ok to forgive her, even if you dislike what she did.
    Exactly this, I definitely sympathize with Jean Luc but that doesn't mean Beverly is a completely horrible person.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

I'm not saying he's wrong or cowardly. I'm saying his attitude is t really conducive for a less character. He makes a great foil for the typical Star Trek MCs but I can't see a ship he's helming being interesting without someone to play off. He's very much the type to "play it safe," which would be boring imo.
    A true, blue Lt. Commander Seven would be a great foil. Throw in LeForge and that other helmsman that all seem to be questioning him, and they'll be a fine crew.

And he only started playing safe after Wolf 359.

This little jaunt probably will wake him up a bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Exactly this, I definitely sympathize with Jean Luc but that doesn't mean Beverly is a completely horrible person.
    People kind of forget that Jack showed up to meet Picard and he kind of blew it, too.

In Star Trek terms, this was an emotional Kobayashi Maru for Beverly.

Even if she told him, these events would probably be playing out sooner than later.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Astonishing Member

So any theories why it seems like Jack was using a TOS era phaser in his two dream sequences?

The muzzle design and the black box type 1 phaser in it's center seem to very specifically point it towards being the model from Kirk's era, which was allready replaced by a different one during the movies. So even when Picard and Crusher were young officers, those should have only been around as antiques.

Which makes it an oddly specific type of weapon for the subconscious of a 20 something to conjure by the 2400's, over 100 years after it was the standard of Star Fleet.

And it doesn't seem like it's a case of "prop recyling" since they have plenty of "modern" phaser props to use.
    Last edited by Grunty; 03-17-2023 at 05:09 PM.

Another great episode!
    >Jack Crusher: part-Prophet a la The Sisko?
    Jack Crusher: has a Changeling in his blood/brain a la Stargte's Goa'uld or Babylon 5's Sheridan/Kosh?
    >Had this been any other season, Raffi would have really killed Worf.
    >The Intrepid's a cool design. I actually wish this had been the new Titan design.
    vlcsnap-2023-03-17-21h04m56s875.jpg
    vlcsnap-2023-03-17-21h22m32s811.jpg
    >RO LAREN!!!! I'm SO glad I managed to avoid spoilers! Interactions like this are exactly what Picard should have been about since the beginning! Picard/Ro Laren, eh? I can see it. She went out like the hero she is.
    >From the minute Changelings were able to turn Odo into a solid and one of them was able to change him back into a shapeshifter, I figured the Founders had perfect replica spies everywhere. I'm not surprised at this but I am surprised that Federation scans for Changelings during the Dominion War apparently didn't go beyond skin deep since scans would have detected the goo within. Weird.
    Last edited by nx01a; 03-17-2023 at 06:23 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    That's a wrong take on Shaw he'd be all for exploring or fighting if ordered too he's just not going to put his crew in danger to help two "relics" especially after they highjacked his ship.

Let's say there was no Enterprise-E and in 2373 or so a few years after the Enterprise-D was lost Picard and Riker showed up on DS9 under false pretenses because Beverly was missing, and they convinced Worf and O'Brien to let them "borrow" the Defiant to go into let's say Gorn space to get her. Sisko's reaction would be legendary.

We've had seasons, films and decades to bond with Picard, Riker, and Seven which makes us side with them, but honestly Shaw's position isn't wrong and doesn't make him a coward or gun-shy.
    IDW's new Defiant series has a stolen Defiant and Sisko's reaction to that. I would say that series is very connected to an aspect of the third season of Picard

As for Shaw, I am curious as to how he ended up with Seven as his Exec considering his attitude towards the Borg. I am also assuming that Vadic's comments about his psychological state refer to his survivor's guilt and we were expected to get that as opposed to something else coming up in the next four plus episodes. There is a small victory in that his fears about Picard and Seven fronting a Borg insurrection disguised as Starfleet officers was the right plan. He just got the race and players totally wrong.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?