Page 127 of 136 FirstFirst ... 2777117123124125126127128129130131 ... LastLast
Results 1,891 to 1,905 of 2040
    Incredible Member Robotech Master's Avatar

Ah, I forgot about the Virus, only the Queen Ship smashing against the collapsed Transwarp conduit.

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    The Enterprise F was already apparently slated to be decommissioned right after Frontier Day, so a new Enterprise was always going to be christened soon. But it's interesting that Starfleet seems to have abandoned the tradition of the Enterprise being from the most powerful class of starship in service at the time.
    Narratively, it allows for cameos and ups the threat factor when they get into trouble.

And it firmly points to the mission being exploratory.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Me after the stinger:

...but otherwise perfect in every possible way.

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

Overall, a great season but I wasn't a fan of this episode. Mixed Reactions

+ Ending for the Original Crew. A good way to end things

+ Troi knowing where her husband was

+ Any and all scenes with Data

- Beverly Crusher: No Picard, she wasn't right keeping Jack from you. Both you AND Jack understood such a vital part of your lives were missing. You started your quest with barely any resources but you manage to defeat a Changeling and Borg invasion. Jack would have been fine. This father hates Beverly Crusher's Guts for what she did

- The Enterprise D is not the Millenium Falcon or an X-Wing (I rolled by eyes at the Borg Cube Death Star but let that part slide)

- A Titan (Enterprise G was a stupid idea. Should have named it Picard) Show with Seven, Raffi, and Jack? Yeah...ZERO Interest in watching. I think Shaw is a better character than all three of them combined

- Neoptism: I thought Jack was a dummy. Advisor to the Captain? LOL!

- The Borg Queen is a moron. After all the times Picard beat you, you really want to tell him how to free his son? Speaking of Borg, were they really that depleted? I find it odd how they were able to beat her.

- Ignores Voyager Lore: One thing that bothered me about the Picard Seasons in general was that it pretty much ignores Voyager Canon. I was hoping to hear the Queen mention to Picard that because of Janeway, Starfleet was armed with Ant-Borg Tech and they were hunted down.

- Starbase had some very strong plot armor.
    Last edited by Godzilla2099; 04-20-2023 at 04:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    Now we know what purpose Kirk's body being at Daystrom served. It was foreshadowing that Starfleet had been back to Veridian 3 and therefore that the D's hull had been retrieved. And because Kirk is such a big deal it could be dismissed as just an easter egg.
    Maybe Kirk's body also could be seen as a prime directive problem? Some future Veridian archaeologist would perhaps unearth an alien skeleton?
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Maybe Kirk's body also could be seen as a prime directive problem? Some future Veridian archaeologist would perhaps unearth an alien skeleton?
    The Prime Directive is a valid reason, but if that was all, a reburial in Iowa would be all that would be needed and done. Kirk's body in a virtual Federation secret weapon collection implies something far more nefarious.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    The Prime Directive is a valid reason, but if that was all, a reburial in Iowa would be all that would be needed and done. Kirk's body in a virtual Federation secret weapon collection implies something far more nefarious.
    I think Robot Chicken called it his body was a biohazard. Long before DISCO Kirk was the original STD.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Really good finale, even with a few nitpicks here and there. After how bad the last two TNG films were, this was an excellent goodbye (?) to that crew.

I do think the resolution to the Borg storyline was slightly underwhelming but I did find it pretty funny that the entire middle section of the episode was basically just the final act of Return of the Jedi with the cutting between the "exhaust port" space battle, the big father and son confrontation with the Big Bad, and Seven and crew slightly more loosely fitting the Han Solo and Leia bits.

Otherwise, though, this episode just hit all the right notes (literally too with the musical cues) and however easy it would be to just dismiss it as cheap fan service and not much else, I can't find it within me to be anywhere near that cynical.

In fact, though I was a huge TNG fan as a kid/ teenager, I kind of soured on the series and the crew sometime around Nemesis, as my appreciation for the original series and original castjust grew and grew. Too much technobabble and characters/ performances that felt increasingly stiff to me. But this final season (and, actually, parts of the previous ones) has really made me want to go back and revisit the series because it's barrage of (really well done) fan service and nostalgia totally worked for me.

And yeah, count me in for a Star Trek: Legacy series!
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla2099 View Post
    + Troi knowing where her husband was
    Call back to Nemesis, with her being able to locate something hidden in space using her Empathy. And bonus points for heading to the con (as we all held our breath

+ Any and all scenes with Data
    Agreed. It hit me watching the scene with him asking the crew to trust him, then flying the Millennium Fal... er, the Enterprise through the Death St... er, the Borg Cube- this is what Lore would have been if he hadn't been homicidal. And I loved the therapy bit, especially Deanna's exasperation.

- The Enterprise D is not the Millenium Falcon or an X-Wing (I rolled by eyes at the Borg Cube Death Star but let that part slide)
    Yeah, I already said it. I was pretty much that meme of Leo DiCaprio from Once Upon a Time in Hollywood when that scene happened, but I rolled with it. Especially since we got so many beautiful shots of the ship flying. That was something they could never achieve during TNG (I almost never felt the ship looked that good back then) because they had to use models, and even during DS9 we would still get the same static shots. The Big D flying around the cube was just a wonderful sight to behold.

- A Titan (Enterprise G was a stupid idea. Should have named it Picard) Show with Seven, Raffi, and Jack? Yeah...ZERO Interest in watching. I think Shaw is a better character than all three of them combined
    I thought at first they would name the ship the Picard, but then they pointed out that Starfleet was honoring the ENTIRE bridge crew by rechirstening the ship the Enterprise G. As Wil Riker once said, "Plenty of letters left in the alphabet." The only thing I found odd was this was probably the first time they had named a ship the Enterprise where the ship wasn't the newest, top of the line ship. Indeed, I'm not even sure it's the flagship now.

As for a show featuring the new crew- hell yeah, I'm in. I've never hated Raffi, I've always like Seven, and Jack is a new generation's Kirk. I'm interested in seeing what they can do.

- The Borg Queen is a moron. After all the times Picard beat you, you really want to tell him how to free his son? Speaking of Borg, were they really that depleted? I find it odd how they were able to beat her.

- Ignores Voyager Lore: One thing that bothered me about the Picard Seasons in general was that it pretty much ignores Voyager Canon. I was hoping to hear the Queen mention to Picard that because of Janeway, Starfleet was armed with Ant-Borg Tech and they were hunted down.
    They absolutely did NOT ignore Voyager lore. The Queen states it was a starfleet virus that brought her down- that was Admiral Janeway in 'Endgame'. And the reason they were so depleted was that the Queen was feeding off the lifeforce of her drones to stay alive.

- Starbase had some very strong plot armor.
    It made sense that the last line of defense for Earth would have very strong shields; that being said, it sure did last a long time against the ENTIRE fleet.

I get the Star Wars critique of the Borg Cube run but it felt more Battlestar Galactica to me with the ship being disconnected and all action-oriented.

It was different enough for me that the Star Wars thing didn't cross my mind till this thread.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Thumbs up

A whole lot of member berries and too much of a Star Wars vibe for me. I would have vastly preferred the Dominion as the true Big Bad rather than trotting out the tired old broken-down rotting corpse of the Borg Collective again. The Voyager series throughout its run neutered the Borg to such an extent I've never seen them as a threat since with the exception of Prodigy they were scary there, but those were special circumstances. *sigh*
    Last edited by Celgress; 04-20-2023 at 08:22 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    I get the Star Wars critique of the Borg Cube run but it felt more Battlestar Galactica to me with the ship being disconnected and all action-oriented.

It was different enough for me that the Star Wars thing didn't cross my mind till this thread.
    Really? Crazy flight into the superstructure to destroy the core, which will cause a catastrphic chain reaction and destroy the thing? All while a father and son have a confrontation in front of a monstrous, despotic ruler who has turned one of them to evil? Which ends when the hero refuses to fight any longer and it wakes the familial heart of the turned, leading to them freeing themself and ending the threat?

All this was missing was Ewoks. It was a HARD lift from Return of the Jedi, right down to the visuals in places.

But honestly, I'm not holding that against it. The larger plot was dumb, but servicably executed. The real gold here was the work between the cast, and they all nailed it.

It's not the dumb plot mechanics that this will be remembered for anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    Really? Crazy flight into the superstructure to destroy the core, which will cause a catastrphic chain reaction and destroy the thing? All while a father and son have a confrontation in front of a monstrous, despotic ruler who has turned one of them to evil? Which ends when the hero refuses to fight any longer and it wakes the familial heart of the turned, leading to them freeing themself and ending the threat?

All this was missing was Ewoks. It was a HARD lift from Return of the Jedi, right down to the visuals in places.....
    Well, when you put it that way. Besides Ewoks, they should have thrown in some lightsabers er I mean generic non-copyrighted laser swords.
    Last edited by Celgress; 04-20-2023 at 08:57 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

All this was missing was Ewoks. It was a HARD lift from Return of the Jedi, right down to the visuals in places.

But honestly, I'm not holding that against it. The larger plot was dumb, but servicably executed. The real gold here was the work between the cast, and they all nailed it.

It's not the dumb plot mechanics that this will be remembered for anyway.
    Oh I get it and I don't disagree with that comparison. That's not what I'm saying.

I was in the mode of comparing to BSG because of the Cylon-esque turn for the Borg and the unconnected ship thing.

Wouldn't the cook-turned-pilot on the Titan be the Ewok? Or Raffi (the cute sidekick that everyone hates?