Page 18 of 136 FirstFirst ... 81415161718192021222868118 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by HeartofTheStoriesWeTell View Post
    No enterprise crew member better be hunting Picard...

I will only except laforge or worf as captains if when they find him they offer to help and tell starfleet "we ant found ****"
    I dunno. I think we're going to get a twist on that. A Federation dog on to Picard would make sense as the Captain of the Enterprise-E. And it should be somebody attached to him.

This Starfleet is not the Starfleet Picard knew or that we know.

Romulans have always been the enemy of the Next Gen era and the tense cease fire ended with the super nova because the Federation abandoned them. That is not a Starfleet thing to do.

I could totally see the attack dog to get Picard being somebody from his crew SENT in the Enterprise-E. Turning the Enterprise into the villain craft per se and the Captain being sworn to duty with an apparently war-ready Starfleet would be a great flip and juxtaposition of the Next Gen to Picard. Really driving the knife into Picard with a war ready Enterprise with a former crew member would be perfect in my mind. This new show is all about the drama and that would be super dramatic.

And to me, Worf would be the perfect one. It would symbolize another moral compromise on Starfleet. Captain Worf and Picard going at it would be a wonderful full season storyline. Duty, honor, guilt, shame, friendship ... the themes write themselves. If gives Worf a meaty character development and you can end it in a number of ways. To me, Geordi would be less thematic.

I don't expect them to go in that direction but I would love to see it.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

It would be kind of a weird twist if it was Data (Like the Countdown comics for the reboot). Of course it probably won't be Riker as he and Deanna seem to be retired and he was given a different ship anyway (Wonder if we'll get anything about the Titan and why Will also seems to have left starfleet).

I don't remember Worf being that particuarly close to Data (He always seemed to be more friendly with the Captain, Riker and Troi) so perhaps he wouldn't be in as much support. It also perhaps could be Beverly in an interesting twist, especially since Picard is now at a point where he has both the occupation *and* health problems of his All Good Things counterpart, whose relationship with Beverly had collapsed.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Okay just saw the second episode. If you ever wondered what would happen if CBS blended one of their many crime procedural shows with Trek here is your answer. The scene with Picard and his wife Laris going over a crime scene while their butler Zhaban waits at home was pretty good. It oddly works, when it's just being a science fiction crime show.

When it comes time for it to do more Trek stuff...ehhh. I don't know why we had to create an even bigger Romulan villain when the Tal Shiar would have been fine. We know that the admiral has to turn down Picard when he asks for help but surely someone would have noticed the GIANT EXPLOSION AT THE TOP OF THE BUILDING IN DOWNTOWN SAN FRANCISCO, HOME OF STARFLEET COMMAND AND AN EX-STARFLEET ADMIRAL LYING THERE? Yes, I know there is a cover-up but the villains are so bad at it.

Also, what is up with "The Romulus were our enemies" stuff? There was this little thing called THE DOMINION WAR that the Federation would have lost if not for the Romulans...and Captain Sicko framing the Dominion

Still, this is a pretty good show until it's time for clumsy action and the fallout from the clumsy action.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by HeartofTheStoriesWeTell View Post
    No enterprise crew member better be hunting Picard...

I will only except laforge or worf as captains if when they find him they offer to help and tell starfleet "we ant found ****"
    I saw a spoiler a while back about the end of episode 3. The only details were about a surprise and shocking appearance of a Star Trek character in a massive plot twist. If correct then this is the person who will probably be hunting Picard. No doubt by the end of the season the character will have come around to Picard's side though because they aren't going to make this character the bad guy.

Potential spoiler:

spoilers:
    Its going to be Janeway. Though as I type this I realize the twist could be that she is siding with Picard against Starfleet which then is the opening for how Seven of Nine ends up with Picard because sends Seven to help Picard. That would also allow for it to just be quick cameo type appearance for Kate Mulgrew as I imagine if she was on the show more we would know of it just like we know Seven shows up eventually.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by TriggerWarning; 01-30-2020 at 01:45 PM.

Second episode would work great if were binging this series all at once. It was basically a table setting episode which is important but felt like it didn't move the plot forward very much.

Still excited to see where this series goes though.

Picard 1x02 'Maps and Legends' Review...
    >I think either the first three episodes should have been released at once or made into a 2 hour premiere. This second episode was a bit slow but I found the Borg angle fascinating.
    >Seeing F8 [Fate?] kill those rude workers didn't have the emotional impact I think it was meant to. Seeing it blow its own head off, however, did.
    >As an unashamed sci-fi 'splosions lover, I wanted more glorious CGI of the shipyards getting blown up and Mars burning. I really hope the young, plucky crew has to pass Mars on their way out of the Sol system so we can see the red planet firestorms. You know... For visceral effect. And pretty special effects.
    >I like the mention of Picard's brain condition and him reaching out to someone from the Stargazer.
    >I didn't quite think whichever admiral Picard went to would be quite THAT curt with him.
    >Doesn't Picard have ANY other associates in Starfleet, the Federation, alien government, etc. who can get him a ship? Can't you rent a ship in the future? I know, I know. The Federation is cashless but there still...
    >The evil Section 31 version of the Tal Shiar knew about evil AI 'thousands of years ago'? So they knew about this when the Romulans were still Vulcans? Did the early Vulcans encounter the Borg, thus engendering this fear that's present in the secret Romulan intelligence group?
    >Picard's Romulan minders are so cute.
    >Starfleet Intelligence is working covertly with the Romulans to find the new Synths? And the Borg are involved? This is juicy.
    >The relationship between Soji and Mysterious Hot Romulan Dude is... strange but I suppose sometimes you just fall into bed with a Mysterious Hot Romulan Dude whose name you aren't even sure of with ridiculously high security clearance while on a Borg cube. That part of the episode fell so flat for me. You needed a hot young couple having a clothed love scene? Bah.
    >Of course Mysterious Hot Romulan Dude has a Mysterious Hot Undercover Romulan Girl for a sister.
    >I am SO thankful the Borg ship isn't populated by displaced Romulan refugees. That would have been a bit too harsh for me.
    >Are the Romulans letting people study the Borg cube because the Empire is in shambles and is exploiting the cube as a resources to bring in needed supplies and expertise? I don't see any other reason why the Romulans wouldn't keep a mostly intact cube, its technology, and drones for itself to ruthlessly exploit.
    >Trying to bring Borg drones back to their 'humanity' seems very noble... for Romulan interests. I can't wait to see what's really going on here.
    >I REALLY wish the Chateau Picard vintage had been the 87 [for the year TNG premiered, 1987], not the 86.
    >Episode 2 and we're still not even 1/2 way through getting the new crew together. Meh.

Fun episode mostly for what it reveals about the Romulans and their Borg cube. I look forward to episode 3 and whatever shocks it may [not] contain.
    Last edited by nx01a; 01-30-2020 at 03:01 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    Picard 1x02 'Maps and Legends' Review...
    >I think either the first three episodes should have been released at once or made into a 2 hour premiere. This second episode was a bit slow but I found the Borg angle fascinating.
    >Seeing F8 [Fate?] kill those rude workers didn't have the emotional impact I think it was meant to. Seeing it blow its own head off, however, did.
    >As an unashamed sci-fi 'splosions lover, I wanted more glorious CGI of the shipyards getting blown up and Mars burning. I really hope the young, plucky crew has to pass Mars on their way out of the Sol system so we can see the red planet firestorms. You know... For visceral effect. And pretty special effects.
    >I like the mention of Picard's brain condition and him reaching out to someone from the Stargazer.
    >I didn't quite think whichever admiral Picard went to would be quite THAT curt with him.
    >Doesn't Picard have ANY other associates in Starfleet, the Federation, alien government, etc. who can get him a ship? Can't you rent a ship in the future? I know, I know. The Federation is cashless but there still...
    >The evil Section 31 version of the Tal Shiar knew about evil AI 'thousands of years ago'? So they knew about this when the Romulans were still Vulcans? Did the early Vulcans encounter the Borg, thus engendering this fear that's present in the secret Romulan intelligence group?
    >Picard's Romulan minders are so cute.
    >Starfleet Intelligence is working covertly with the Romulans to find the new Synths? And the Borg are involved? This is juicy.
    >The relationship between Soji and Mysterious Hot Romulan Dude is... strange but I suppose sometimes you just fall into bed with a Mysterious Hot Romulan Dude whose name you aren't even sure of with ridiculously high security clearance while on a Borg cube. That part of the episode fell so flat for me. You needed a hot young couple having a clothed love scene? Bah.
    >Of course Mysterious Hot Romulan Dude has a Mysterious Hot Undercover Romulan Girl for a sister.
    >I am SO thankful the Borg ship isn't populated by displaced Romulan refugees. That would have been a bit too harsh for me.
    >Are the Romulans letting people study the Borg cube because the Empire is in shambles and is exploiting the cube as a resources to bring in needed supplies and expertise? I don't see any other reason why the Romulans wouldn't keep a mostly intact cube, its technology, and drones for itself to ruthlessly exploit.
    >Trying to bring Borg drones back to their 'humanity' seems very noble... for Romulan interests. I can't wait to see what's really going on here.
    >I REALLY wish the Chateau Picard vintage had been the 87 [for the year TNG premiered, 1987], not the 86.
    >Episode 2 and we're still not even 1/2 way through getting the new crew together. Meh.

Fun episode mostly for what it reveals about the Romulans and their Borg cube. I look forward to episode 3 and whatever shocks it may [not] contain.
    The writers/director called episodes 1-3 act I of the show and serve as the pilot.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    The writers/director called episodes 1-3 act I of the show and serve as the pilot.
    I get that but the story could have been packaged better. I suppose knowing there's a second season means they can afford to take the story slowly.
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

A couple people in this thread have made mention of the awkward and clumsy action, which has me scratching my head. I mean compared to the fight scenes on the old shows this show is Jackie Chan in his prime, lol. *Reminisces on any of Worf's stiff combat or Ryker's scenes where the stuntman replacing him is about as seamless as the parody fight in I'm Gonna Git You Sucka*
    HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/store

Worf's flowing sword motions were lethal poetry in motion!

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    They should have released the first two episodes at once, then release the rest of the episodes weekly.

Quote Originally Posted by G.Boney
    A couple people in this thread have made mention of the awkward and clumsy action, which has me scratching my head. I mean compared to the fight scenes on the old shows this show is Jackie Chan in his prime, lol. *Reminisces on any of Worf's stiff combat or Ryker's scenes where the stuntman replacing him is about as seamless as the parody fight in I'm Gonna Git You Sucka*
    Do you see Stewart's double running up the stairs? I Did. Did you see the way he was thrown back from the explosion? It looked terrible. I didn't mind that. Don't get me wrong I can forgive clumsy and awkward action as long as it fits with the show we are watching but a lot of the action feels like it's being bussed in from a separate action franchise entirely and Star Trek has never really been known or thought of as an action franchise. It was always more of an adventure franchise..

Which brings us to Dahj.

When Dahj stars flipping and kicking it feels like it's only a matter of time before she pulls out her morpher and summons robot dinos.
    Last edited by Anthony W; 01-31-2020 at 12:12 AM.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    They should have released the first two episodes at once, then release the rest of the episodes weekly.

Do you see Stewart's double running up the stairs? I Did. Did you see the way he was thrown back from the explosion? It looked terrible. I didn't mind that. Don't get me wrong I can forgive clumsy and awkward action as long as it fits with the show we are watching but a lot of the action feels like it's being bussed in from a separate action franchise entirely and Star Trek has never really been known or thought of as an action franchise. It was always more of an adventure franchise..

Which brings us to Dahj.

When Dahj stars flipping and kicking it feels like it's only a matter of time before she pulls out her morpher and summons robot dinos.
    Trek's been long overdue for good action sequences, and it's been a franchise fraught with violence that escalated from day one. Fighting like that fits right in with Trek, it's got everything else lol Adventure franchises have great fight choreography, too.

I have not seen any of the episodes, still have to wait to get access to amazon, that been said, I have heard some plotlines. I think it was a very smart move to mention that Romulus has been destroyed in the prime universe, I wish star trek into darkness had focused on the aftermath of that story instead of rehashing Khan, so I am glad to see Picard exploring it. I just hope it does not go the Kurtzan/Orci kind of way with the writing. But so far, everyone is saying Picard is better than Discovery and that is a good sign.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Okay just saw the second episode. If you ever wondered what would happen if CBS blended one of their many crime procedural shows with Trek here is your answer. The scene with Picard and his wife Laris going over a crime scene while their butler Zhaban waits at home was pretty good. It oddly works, when it's just being a science fiction crime show.

When it comes time for it to do more Trek stuff...ehhh. I don't know why we had to create an even bigger Romulan villain when the Tal Shiar would have been fine. We know that the admiral has to turn down Picard when he asks for help but surely someone would have noticed the GIANT EXPLOSION AT THE TOP OF THE BUILDING IN DOWNTOWN SAN FRANCISCO, HOME OF STARFLEET COMMAND AND AN EX-STARFLEET ADMIRAL LYING THERE? Yes, I know there is a cover-up but the villains are so bad at it.

Also, what is up with "The Romulus were our enemies" stuff? There was this little thing called THE DOMINION WAR that the Federation would have lost if not for the Romulans...and Captain Sicko framing the Dominion

Still, this is a pretty good show until it's time for clumsy action and the fallout from the clumsy action.
    The Romulan government was largely overthrown in NEMESIS, although Shinzon was stopped and Donatra sided with Picard; it's possible there were still problems after that. There's still mentions of periods of hostilities with the Klingons even after Undiscovered country for example, with tensions high until the Enterprise C's sacrifice.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth