Page 19 of 136 FirstFirst ... 91516171819202122232969119 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    The Romulan government was largely overthrown in NEMESIS, although Shinzon was stopped and Donatra sided with Picard; it's possible there were still problems after that. There's still mentions of periods of hostilities with the Klingons even after Undiscovered country for example, with tensions high until the Enterprise C's sacrifice.
    Plus teaming with Romulans to defeat the Dominion is classic "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" territory.
    Last edited by G. Boney; 01-31-2020 at 08:54 PM.
    HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/store

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    The Romulan government was largely overthrown in NEMESIS, although Shinzon was stopped and Donatra sided with Picard; it's possible there were still problems after that. There's still mentions of periods of hostilities with the Klingons even after Undiscovered country for example, with tensions high until the Enterprise C's sacrifice.
    Oh man...TNG movies. I tried so hard to forget Nemesis it was the worst TNG movie which is really saying something because besides from First Contact they were all awful.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Oh man...TNG movies. I tried so hard to forget Nemesis it was the worst TNG movie which is really saying something because besides from First Contact they were all awful.
    Generations was enjoyable.
    First Contact was brilliant.
    Insurrection was just meh; it really should have dealt with the Ent E doing something pivotal to the then ongoing Dominion War.
    Nemesis was horrid.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Astonishing Member

Okay just saw the second episode. If you ever wondered what would happen if CBS blended one of their many crime procedural shows with Trek here is your answer. The scene with Picard and his wife Laris going over a crime scene while their butler Zhaban waits at home was pretty good. It oddly works, when it's just being a science fiction crime show.

When it comes time for it to do more Trek stuff...ehhh. I don't know why we had to create an even bigger Romulan villain when the Tal Shiar would have been fine. We know that the admiral has to turn down Picard when he asks for help but surely someone would have noticed the GIANT EXPLOSION AT THE TOP OF THE BUILDING IN DOWNTOWN SAN FRANCISCO, HOME OF STARFLEET COMMAND AND AN EX-STARFLEET ADMIRAL LYING THERE? Yes, I know there is a cover-up but the villains are so bad at it.

Also, what is up with "The Romulus were our enemies" stuff? There was this little thing called THE DOMINION WAR that the Federation would have lost if not for the Romulans...and Captain Sicko framing the Dominion

Still, this is a pretty good show until it's time for clumsy action and the fallout from the clumsy action.

The Romulans Empire and the Federation fought together against the Dominion, so what? The US and the USSR both fought against Nazi Germany in WWII and still became bitter rivals after the war was over, why that be different between the Federation and Romulan Empire? The Romulans fought at least one bloody war against humanity, were the Federation's oldest enemy, with them launching several military strikes against the Federation (a warbird was attacking Federation outposts in Balance of Terror, Admiral Jarok was said to have committed massacres on Federation worlds in ''The defector''). Styles was racist against Spock simply because Spock looked similar to Romulans in Balance of Terror, in the Drumhead Admiral Satie got a cadet drummed out of Star Fleet because that cadet lied about being half Romulan, do you think that would be an issue if there was not anti-Romulan bigotry in the Federation, why would he have to lie if that was the case?

Also in Nemesis, a Romulan made warship almost wiped out humanity. The Dominion War did not make the bad blood between the Federation and the Romulans disappear.

Because of Picard I went back and watched First Contact and Nemesis this week (both are streaming for free on the free app Crackle if anyone is interested). Having not seen either since they first appeared in theaters my memories were that First Contact was great and Nemesis was kind of meh. My views have done a complete flip. First Contact SUCKED. Very hokey and cheesy and not in a good way as the Earth people act like country bumpkins. The action scenes were bad, the effects were bad for the era, and the dialogue was so cheesy at time. Nemesis on the other hand had some great scenes, great effects, and much better action. I'm wondering now if all the blowback on Nemesis is just people angry that Data got killed.

Quote Originally Posted by The Overlord View Post
    Also in Nemesis, a Romulan made warship almost wiped out humanity. The Dominion War did not make the bad blood between the Federation and the Romulans disappear.
    Also in Nemesis the Romulans rebelled against Shinzon and aided the Enterprise in fighting him. The Romulans also came to the aid of the crippled Enterprise after Shinzon's defeat.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Overlord View Post
    The Romulans Empire and the Federation fought together against the Dominion, so what? The US and the USSR both fought against Nazi Germany in WWII and still became bitter rivals after the war was over, why that be different between the Federation and Romulan Empire? The Romulans fought at least one bloody war against humanity, were the Federation's oldest enemy, with them launching several military strikes against the Federation (a warbird was attacking Federation outposts in Balance of Terror, Admiral Jarok was said to have committed massacres on Federation worlds in ''The defector''). Styles was racist against Spock simply because Spock looked similar to Romulans in Balance of Terror, in the Drumhead Admiral Satie got a cadet drummed out of Star Fleet because that cadet lied about being half Romulan, do you think that would be an issue if there was not anti-Romulan bigotry in the Federation, why would he have to lie if that was the case?

That mirrors my thoughts, Trek's been though this cycle before the Klingons. Had a movie about it.

Reviewwers like RLM might have been exceptional in the past but these are parts of the history they should know off by heart, which makes their rebuke about the writers not knowing about Trek lore look like projection more than anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    Generations was enjoyable.
    First Contact was brilliant.
    Insurrection was just meh; it really should have dealt with the Ent E doing something pivotal to the then ongoing Dominion War.
    Nemesis was horrid.
    I recently went and rewatched everything Star Trek with my wife. I remember back in the day thinking Insurrection was bad, but on rewatch I liked it. It seemed like an episode of TNG (which I suppose was the criticism at the time, but now that everything involves "the fate of the galaxy," the comparatively low-stakes of Insurrection was refreshing).

On the other hand, I found Generations and Nemesis to be much worse than I remembered - especially Nemesis. The dune buggies...
    Age of Marvels and DC Next Dawn - Monthly Fan Made Solicitation Competitions on these very forums, make your pulls now! Want back story? Check the Wiki!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by TriggerWarning View Post
    Because of Picard I went back and watched First Contact and Nemesis this week (both are streaming for free on the free app Crackle if anyone is interested). Having not seen either since they first appeared in theaters my memories were that First Contact was great and Nemesis was kind of meh. My views have done a complete flip. First Contact SUCKED. Very hokey and cheesy and not in a good way as the Earth people act like country bumpkins. The action scenes were bad, the effects were bad for the era, and the dialogue was so cheesy at time. Nemesis on the other hand had some great scenes, great effects, and much better action. I'm wondering now if all the blowback on Nemesis is just people angry that Data got killed.
    The problem with Nemesis is the villain, Shinzon makes no sense and they change his personality every 5 minutes. He goes from a sympathetic villain who just wants to free the Remans to evil psychopath who rapes Troi (which is a pretty unpleasant scene) and wants to blow up Earth for no good reason. Seriously, why does he not want to blow up Romulus instead, the Romulans are the ones who ruined his life, not the Federation. His reasons for wanting to attack Earth are nonsense and makes him a pretty bad character, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by TriggerWarning View Post
    Also in Nemesis the Romulans rebelled against Shinzon and aided the Enterprise in fighting him. The Romulans also came to the aid of the crippled Enterprise after Shinzon's defeat.
    Still does not change the fact that the Romulan military helped overthrow their own government and helped Shinzon build that ship and were chomping at the bit to launch a first strike against the Federation. The Romulan military cleaning up a mess they created is not much a basis for a new peace, IMO, why would the hardliners who pushed for this military strike instantly become reasonable after Shinzon died or that the Federation would not distrust the Romulans after fiding out the military was pushing a first strike against the Federation.

Kind of interesting that Shinzon was a young Tom Hardy.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Extraordinary Member

Only saw the first episode. A lot of Blade Runner themes going on but not horrible like I've heard.

Incredible Member

The scene with Picard and his wife Laris ...
    Picard and his what?
    Sounds perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Picard and his what?
    1/2 of his Romulan housekeeper/minder pair, not really his wife.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Picard and his what?
    It's a joke that springs from the chemistry they share is more like a husband and wife and her actual husband is treated like a butler.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    Only saw the first episode. A lot of Blade Runner themes going on but not horrible like I've heard.
    Where did you hear it was "horrible"? It seems to be very well received by pretty much everyone. And rightly so.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.