Page 2 of 136 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    "Why did you leave Starfleet, Admiral?"

So he didn't take Kirk's advice after all.
    In two ways as well. He let himself get promoted, and left starfleet.

Although I suppose with the promotion he could still command a fleet or something. Part of Kirk's problem is that he was pretty much given a desk position for the most part, the TWOK thing was kind of unintended, if nothing had happened it would've been a smooth ride with Spock in command, and of course in III and IV he was unauthorized. (in TMP he demoted himself, although it's a bit unclear how long he stayed in that role before the ship was given over to Spock and the Academy, since TWOK is set about a dozen years later. Although he might've been semi-retired for a bit as Generations hinted).
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    I'm really curious to see new ship designs post-Nemesis.

But I really dislike the Enterprise-F from Star Trek Online. Most likely the showrunners will just completely ignore that (if they ever show an Enterprise, that is), but that big neck gape in the middle makes very little sense both design-wise and in-universe -- it's supposed to help warp "aerodynamics," but that seems like after the fact.

In DS9 and Voyager it seemed that Starfleet was heading toward more experimental military designs, especially considering the threat of the Borg, Dominion, and even for a short time the Klingons.

There's also the question of perhaps what happens to the galaxy's balance of power with Romulus out of the picture. I'm sure the Romulans probably have other worlds (They are after all an Empire) but it could still be a problem. Qo'Nos getting messed up in Star Trek VI, after all, led to peace talks.....(and I'm guessing by TNG the federation helped at least stabilize the planet). I know the online game pretty much had things go to war again, although with Species 1842 pulling the strings behind the scenes.

I just really hope we don't get a depressing 'Logan' rehash where an old, washed up Xavi... er... Picard watched those he [and we] loved die, became disillusioned with the institution he believed in, and retired to seclude himself making and drinking wine. I wouldn't put killing the TNG cast off screen past the people who gave us STD.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    I just really hope we don't get a depressing 'Logan' rehash where an old, washed up Xavi... er... Picard watched those he [and we] loved die, became disillusioned with the institution he believed in, and retired to seclude himself making and drinking wine. I wouldn't put killing the TNG cast off screen past the people who gave us STD.
    I get the feeling they'll do something exactly like that, just...minus the TNG crew. If he became an admiral, maybe people he made captains, along with their respective crews, were killed on missions he sent them on, and the series will be him coming to terms with that.

Astonishing Member

I don't see why not considering it worked so well with Logan. I know a lot of fans have want Picard to be the same man personality wise as his TNG self but I think some disillusionment and bitterness is natural especially with old age I imagine over the course of the show he'll stat rediscover that old optimism.

Sisko's disillusionment and bitterness worked for one double-length episode before he got over it. I don't think I can take a mini-season of depressed Picard working through his emotions while remembering his failures amidst the backdrop of a Starfleet he doesn't recognize or respect anymore. 'Logan' was a beautiful film but one of the most depressing watches I've ever had, especially since it's basically about the X-Men dying horribly and failing to stop mutantkind's extinction. Not every story has to be about the bastardization and collapse of beloved institutions or the traumatized psyches of our beloved characters.

I'd rather watch a mini-season about retired captain turned archaeology professor Picard getting swept up in a galaxy-spanning adventure with his young proteges. No depression, no raging against the dying of the light, just a good story told without the pathos that some people claim is necessary these days to make a book/movie/show 'good' and 'modern'.
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

My god, I hadn’t even considered that because it was unthinkable... but the STD masterminds would probably think it was a great idea. Now I’m worried...

I also don’t want Picard to be “Logan.” Star Trek, at its best, was optimistic. Writers today can’t seem to understand that.
    Age of Marvels and DC Next Dawn - Monthly Fan Made Solicitation Competitions on these very forums, make your pulls now! Want back story? Check the Wiki!

Maybe it'll be "Blunt Talk" in Star Trek clothes. Hmmm...

hopefully there will be mysteries to solve and it won't be about blowing something up at the end of every episode. And at Stewart's age, even hand to hand combat is questionable.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    hopefully there will be mysteries to solve and it won't be about blowing something up at the end of every episode. And at Stewart's age, even hand to hand combat is questionable.
    That's why everyone else on the cast is plucky and young.

It wasn't really until the later seasons and the films that we got "action Picard"-a lot of the fisticuffs were more likely to involve Riker and Worf. Also having Picard being more of a diplomat/thinker/strategist sort of set him apart from Kirk, who seemed to get in a physical fight (and torn shirt) every single episode.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 06-01-2019 at 05:10 AM.

BANNED

To me, this doesn't sound promising at all. It's just motivation for past actions, and hopefully the series dwell on this
    https://www.deseretnews.com/article/...rek-picard.amp

In an interview with the Hollywood Reporter, Kurtzman said the series would take place after the “dissolution of the Romulan Empire,” which Gizmodo reports likely points to the events of J.J. Abrams’ 2009 “Star Trek” reboot, which was co-written by Kurtzman.

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    To me, this doesn't sound promising at all. It's just motivation for past actions, and hopefully the series dwell on this
    https://www.deseretnews.com/article/...rek-picard.amp
    A bit of backtracking, filling in the blanks, and a possible touch of retconning can be annoying, yeah. But if true, there's something right about Picard's last two canonical outings (Nemesis and then this pilot when it comes out) would be about Picard trying to save his old enemies.

The article, though, makes a bigger deal of Picard's past with the Romulans than it really is. Sure, they popped up plenty of times and were constantly a thorn in Picard's side, but half the time it wasn't like he really went out of his way for them. DS9 and Nemesis did the majority of the work. The few times Picard worked with the Romulans, it was ensure mutual safety or to make sure Pressman was held accountable, or something with much lower stakes than trying to gradually cool the cold war.

I'm curious if Spock will get mentioned, as he also tried to save the Romulans (and was probably presumed dead-again-in the regular "prime universe"). Maybe some of the guilt of also "losing" a Federation legend, except this time we see it (Although nothing is shown in canon, Harriman's loss of Kirk on the B casts a shadow on his career and captaincy in most works featuring the B and crew).

Hundred bucks says your right. That bitter old depressing former hero is the new cliche that is happening right now. They did it with Luke and Han and Logan, and even with Blade Runner,(although it fits with BR).

Also if they do that it will upset fans, which will then create online controversy, which in turn means = edgy provocative storytelling.