Page 23 of 136 FirstFirst ... 131920212223242526273373123 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    But Raffi was in Starfleet. Sure she was discharged but in this future world having spent time in Starfleet would still come off as a big deal. She was Picard's right hand, you mean to tell me she couldn't spin that into something? Couldn't get a soft landing anywhere? That whole scene just felt weird to me.
    With the way it seems that the secret Romulan cabal has invaded Starfleet I'd imagine they could have made things difficult for her, or she just could be naturally self destructive and despite having opportunities present to her post Starfleet she either pissed them away or chose not to take them because they might not have seemed good enough in comparison to what she felt she was due...that kind of stuff happens all the time in real life so it's not hard to imagine here.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    She's a rebel. She's flawed. She's addicted to painkillers. Doesn't seem that hard for me to see her as somebody that would get into the situation she's in now.
    But isn't being a rebel how one ends up in Starfleet? I always thought that that people drawn to it just couldn't quite "fit" into the idealized place that their little corner of the universe had become. You're right on the rest of the flaws I just wish there was a better way to get that across.

Quote Originally Posted by G.Boney
    For all we know someone in Starfleet prevented any oppurtunities that came her way from coming to fruition. The fact that they discharged her because Picard resigned is crazy.
    This makes sense.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    With the way it seems that the secret Romulan cabal has invaded Starfleet
    I'm seeing it more like Starfleet is secretly in league with the Romulans.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Incredible Member

Raffi could be the future version of a survivalist. The Romulan infiltration story got her attention, maybe she stumble on something and she living in the desert to avoid "the Man".
    Sounds perfect.

Kind of a slow episode this week. Romulan Legalos joins the crew as we learn Picard was kind of a father figure to him as a child but then abandoned him when the whole rescue mission thing went bad. Legalos was raised an covent of Romulan nun ninjas and has been trained in their ways so he is very good in a fight. Legalos is angry with Picard but saves him from some other Romulans who recognize Picard and blame him. Legalos shows he hasn't lost a step since Lord of the Rings as he acrobatically flies through the air taking out one bad guy and beheading another. He then pledges himself to Frodo, I mean Picard.

As they all try to leave the planet they are attacked by Romulan pirates but are saved at the last minute by another ship which is heavily damaged. They beam the pilot aboard before the ship blows up and its Seven of Nine dressed in normal clothing with her hair down. She only utters one line but it didn't have the old cadence that her lines had on Voyager. Obviously her time since Federation has gotten her to a point where she could blend seamlessly if not for her implants. Picard recognizes her though its not made clear if its because they've met or if she just knows of her which he obviously would.

On the Borg cube Soji and hot Romulan guy slide around in their socks and argue. Then the guy and his spy sister nearly go full Lannister at one point.

We also get explanation for a lot of trailer scenes that didn't make a lot of sense after three episodes now that they've left Earth. Picard recreates his home in the ships holodeck which means the "what the hell are you doing out here Picard" by Seven and the scenes with Riker and Troi probably are holodeck scenes in his holodeck house.
    Last edited by TriggerWarning; 02-14-2020 at 08:22 AM.

Riker and Troi scenes are pretty clearly not at Picard's vineyard.

apparently a fine gentleman and elaborate arguer
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

I can see why this show spent so much time on Earth. Once it leaves Earth it has no idea what it wants to be. It starts trying on different personas. Last week it was Lord Of The Rings. This week it's Firefly. Can't wait for Blade Runner.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Incredible Member Robotech Master's Avatar

Some of Free Cloud's hologram advertisements actually gave me Blade Runner vibes.

Its weird thinking that these kinds of stylistic places were co-existing with what we saw in TNG/DS9, since a lot of this is aesthetically so new to Star Trek for the most part.

Seven's scenes and dialogue from the trailer were all here, so I wonder if that's the extent of her cameo this season. Really liked the convo at the end about their shared ex-borg experiences.

I'm getting weird spiritual vibes from the overarching plot about the Romulan's hatred of synthetic life. Dr. Betrayal here didn't seem to be brainwashed, she seemed to genuinely but sadly believe she had to kill her love to fulfill some kind of greater good she was shown. Something she wish they hadn't shown her. So it seems like prophecies of Dahj's sister being some kind of anti-Christ figure are central to the plot.

I thought I'd hate this episode because it looked like filler. Boy, was I wrong! Loved it!

spoilers:
    >Lesbian 7 of 9? Wow. People already wanted her and Janeway to get together so this works fine. To have someone betray you like that? Disintegration was too good for her, 7! I genuinely hoped 7 would have popped the tubules and assimilated her. I would have loved to see how much the traitor fetched on her own Borg black market.
    >They did Icheb dirty! Poor guy.
    >EDIT: Reading reviews has revealed that Icheb's original actor is a [bit of a] prick, so perhaps killing the recast character was a good thing.
    >Mot's Hair Emporium. Quark's Bar [hopefully a galactic franchise, he deserves it].
    >Picard's over the top French accent was so perfect.
    >Don't EMHs know to contact the bridge crew/anyone? Agnes is obviously killing that man. And now we know how Agnes managed to turn up at the chateau at the right time and not get killed by Romulan Death Commandos. As expected, she's a plant.
    >Whatever the Big Bad Evil AI reality is, it turns sweet people into murderers. This had better be good.
    >Damn, Raffi. I didn't know you emotionally abandoned your husband and kid to become a crazy lady living in the desert high on space weed and trying to uncover conspiracies.
    >7's conversation with Picard was the highlight of the episode. It reminded me of Data's conversation with Spock.
    >We all know 7 of 9 didn't go out in a blaze of glory. She killed those security guards [who came in WAY after 5 seconds] and it ready to return hopefully in the season finale.
    >I desperately want that Borg cube to activate! Must. Have. Space. Battle!!!
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by nx01a; 02-20-2020 at 07:43 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Quote Originally Posted by Robotech Master View Post
    I'm getting weird spiritual vibes from the overarching plot about the Romulan's hatred of synthetic life.
    Kurtzman Trek is really into spirituality and prophecies about chosen ones, which is kind of weird.

Angry

The most recent episode was the worse garbage I've ever seen. This show is a bastardized version of Firefly and Blade Runner with some LOTR & SAW sprinkled in for good measure. When I want to watch Firefly or Blade Runner I watch them. IMHO, this is not Star Trek. Other than place names and Romulans, there are hardly any Trek elements present.

Kurtzman (sp?) needs to watch the Mandalorian or Cobra Kai so be can see how you do an established franchise correctly.
    Last edited by Celgress; 02-20-2020 at 09:57 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Mighty Member

Poor Icheb, that scene was tough to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post

spoilers:
    >Lesbian 7 of 9?
    end of spoilers
    Wuh? When was that established? She was in a relationship with Chakote the last I saw her before this episode.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    Wuh? When was that established? She was in a relationship with Chakote the last I saw her before this episode.
    It was kind of hinted at but not made clear. Big Bad of episode 5 knew her by her real name Annika (not sure how it supposed to be spelled) and implied that they were close.