Page 26 of 136 FirstFirst ... 162223242526272829303676126 ... LastLast

What did Raffi mean when she told her son she was clean now? Clean as in no longer smoking something stronger that whatever that space weed was she was smoking during Picard's visit at her home?

How have people not realized Oh is a Romulan? She doesn't make the slightest effort to sound Vulcan. She might as well be wearing a sign. She's the equivalent of a Russian spy saying things like, "hello comrade, I am proud patriotic American just like you. Let us discuss state secrets while eating delicious hamburgers and shooting many bullets." Hell, she's actually worse than that at pretending to be Vulcan. Did no one tell her actress that she's a Romulan pretending to be a Vulcan, not just a Romulan who happened to be high up in Starfleet for some reason?

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    What did Raffi mean when she told her son she was clean now? Clean as in no longer smoking something stronger that whatever that space weed was she was smoking during Picard's visit at her home?
    I'm really hoping the space weed was part of a medicinal recovery program to get her over prolonged addiction to this:

Too much time playing video games can be bad for you, after all.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    How have people not realized Oh is a Romulan? She doesn't make the slightest effort to sound Vulcan. She might as well be wearing a sign. She's the equivalent of a Russian spy saying things like, "hello comrade, I am proud patriotic American just like you. Let us discuss state secrets while eating delicious hamburgers and shooting many bullets." Hell, she's actually worse than that at pretending to be Vulcan. Did no one tell her actress that she's a Romulan pretending to be a Vulcan, not just a Romulan who happened to be high up in Starfleet for some reason?
    I might agree if we didn't have 7 years of Tuvok. Her portrayal reminded me of his: detachment with a hint of being annoyed, 24/7. Maybe 4 years of T'Pol countered this (the 2 seasons I saw of her (1st and last) I didn't get the slightly annoyed vibe), but, there is precedent. Or maybe that comes with a Vulcan being in security. Tuvok was the security chief of Voyager, Oh is the chief of Starfleet Security.

The sunglasses, though, I can't excuse that.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    I'm really hoping the space weed was part of a medicinal recovery program to get her over prolonged addiction to this:

[img]https://robburke.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/tng_s5_thegame-768x502.jpg[ /img]
    Whatever this is I couldn't get it to show up. Neither on desktop or android. *shrugs*

It just seemed a weird thing to add in. Paying more attention to Picard's endeavors at the time than her own family, that was enough. But drug abuse ("I'm clean now!") is a bit much, and...inconsistent. If I was going to have a character declare that in later episodes, I would haven't an earlier ep of them smoking space weed and getting drunk. Picard literally used booze to get her to let her guard down so he could even tell her about the mission. It seemed funny at first (I think they were going for humor) but now it seems like she still has a problem.

It's the "Game" from um..."The Game" basically the weird brainwashing VR disc, tube thingy that only Wesley,Ashley Judd, and Data with a flash light could stop.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

NOW the link shows up. Guess it was congested early in the morning?

EDIT: Someone pointed out that they played a short, slow rendition of Voyager's theme just as Seven was leaving Picard. Neat touch.
    Last edited by Nate Grey; 02-23-2020 at 11:25 AM.

Incredible Member Robotech Master's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    I might agree if we didn't have 7 years of Tuvok. Her portrayal reminded me of his: detachment with a hint of being annoyed, 24/7. Maybe 4 years of T'Pol countered this (the 2 seasons I saw of her (1st and last) I didn't get the slightly annoyed vibe), but, there is precedent. Or maybe that comes with a Vulcan being in security. Tuvok was the security chief of Voyager, Oh is the chief of Starfleet Security.

The sunglasses, though, I can't excuse that.
    The weird thing is I remember that Sister Incest (the one who is legit pretending to be another race), spoke of Oh in the context of being an ally she wanted to keep out of convenience, which implies that they are working together towards a shared goal but are not from the same organization.

Thus, I've speculated Oh may not even be a pretender, but a genuine conspirator (which may even make sense; the idea that the Federation may be conspiring with the secret Romulan Order falls a little flat if the only reason for the Conspiring is that you've got Romulans directing the Federation). In which case, the writers have just been rather lax with certain continuity things and that's why no one has openly questioned Oh in universe.

Maybe Oh wore the sunglasses because she wanted to project this MIB vibe for intimidation.

I figure Freecloud is something like how Farpoint Station might have looked if the budget had extended beyond a matte painting and some polystyrene blocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    I figure Freecloud is something like how Farpoint Station might have looked if the budget had extended beyond a matte painting and some polystyrene blocks.
    I also remember this one supposedly seedy bar in Unification, when they were looking for clues on Picard's kidnapping. It was dark and musty with various... fabrics? Not exactly Mos Eisley territory here, though the alien lounge singer singing klingon opera was different.

But yeah, if the producers back then could make that bar look like Freecloud, they'd do it in a heartbeat. But then again, who the hell thinks opera is played in seedy bars?
    Last edited by Cyke; 02-24-2020 at 06:14 PM.

Incredible Member

I'll be slightly disappointed if alternate time line Tasha Yar's daughter Sela isn't involved in this some how.
    Sounds perfect.

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    I'll be slightly disappointed if alternate time line Tasha Yar's daughter Sela isn't involved in this some how.
    The producers have been adamant in their statements that they will be very selective on who they bring back from prior Trek, and specifically TNG. Given that Sela's last appearance was nearly 30 years ago and her character was somewhat convoluted (which was part of the reason why TNG stopped using her), she doesn't seem like a likely candidate to reappear.

Astonishing Member

Sela has been kind of a big character in the comics (which I think are supposed to be canon) and the Star Trek Online game (which I don't think is canon). Either way, we know she survived the destruction of Romulus and is still in a major role in what's left.

Quote from Denise Crosby:

In fact, Crosby tells me she's open to re-visiting that universe again and is contemplating a third and final installment of her documentary series Trekkies. "There's a whole new world of Trek to be explored with Star Trek: Discovery and the J.J. Abrams movies."

Should the highly anticipated new CBS All-Access series Picard want to beam her in, she's there. "Sela (Tasha's daughter) could certainly reappear as she is very much present," she shared. "That would be a formidable foe for Picard, but I do know that the last thing Patrick (Stewart) wants to do is a Next Generation reboot.

"I think they'll be very selective if any of the Next Generation cast pop in," she said in closing. "But we will see. Certainly, when my character died, I thought you'd never see me again, but never say never."
    From a later interview:

. She also shows up in Star Trek Online. One of the lead designers for Star Trek Online just emailed me yesterday and had a meeting with a story consultant for Picard to discuss how right it would be to bring Sela into the world of Picard.”

Wishful thinking? Perhaps, as Crosby assured me she was not promising an appearance in Star Trek: Picard.

“I don’t want to be that annoying person, trying to get on to the show,” she said. “But if they asked… of course!”
    Last edited by titanfan; 02-25-2020 at 09:53 AM.

The only cameo I care about is John de Lancie turning up as a hobo Q.

Mighty Member

I hope he shows up looking like this again

I finally watched the series and I think its pretty good. Is it classic trek? No, its a modern, serialized show with twists in every episode and what not. It is far better than Discovery though, which is the major reason why I hadn't watched this show prior.

I like that it lassos a lot of the disparate world building from TNG, as the Borg never interacted with the other major factions n Star Trek. I would say that there is a bit of a contradiction in how Romulans are depicted, in that the common people are shown as desperate refugees, yet their government (?) is super successful spies.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut