Page 29 of 136 FirstFirst ... 192526272829303132333979129 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
    Picard made Data kill his kid in TNG!
    Are you talking about Lal? If you are, he actually didn't. If you are not, please explain.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Oh, and Rick Berman wants to know if we are enjoying the show https://mobile.twitter.com/berman_ri...59036658487296
    I have a lot of problems with this show...in fact this is the first episode that felt anything remotely Trek-ish...but that doesn't retroactively make Berman's tenure gold.

I'd say something along the lines of "Somehow being one of the writers of The Orville brings out the best in you so stay there..." But that tweet was a clever clarion call for Berman fans to say "Yeah Picard sucks I miss YOUR writing!!!1!!1!!!" so pass.

Eh, even my parents thought this episode was a little boring and they had been liking the series.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Incredible Member Robotech Master's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    It's annoying that this shit seems to go live at 8am. Websites are running reviews before I'm even awake.
    I watch episodes on "Wednesday" night since they tend to have them up right after midnight.

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    I have a lot of problems with this show...in fact this is the first episode that felt anything remotely Trek-ish...but that doesn't retroactively make Berman's tenure gold.

I'd say something along the lines of "Somehow being one of the writers of The Orville brings out the best in you so stay there..." But that tweet was a clever clarion call for Berman fans to say "Yeah Picard sucks I miss YOUR writing!!!1!!1!!!" so pass.
    No one is saying that Berman's tenure was gold, just that things have gotten so bad that even Berman can openly dunk on it is really saying something. It's more of a "things can always get worse" situation.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

No one is saying that Berman's tenure was gold,
    In those exact words of course not. But the intention is clear when the majority of the tweet responses are "Trek was better under you". No, it was not. Again, how Picard is now doesn't retroactive make Berman's reign [insert positive adjective].

just that things have gotten so bad that even Berman can openly dunk on it is really saying something. It's more of a "things can always get worse" situation.
    Hey if it makes him feel better more power to him. Him and Orville seem to be a good fit so my only hope is he stays there.

Astonishing Member

No one is saying that Berman's tenure was gold, just that things have gotten so bad that even Berman can openly dunk on it is really saying something. It's more of a "things can always get worse" situation.
    Berman was never this imaginative or progressive as Trek is now. Trek's allows to be experimental, it's why we have Deep Space Nine while he made Voyager and Enterprise.

Quote Originally Posted by G. Boney View Post
    That's not what happened at all. It's ironic that you'd post that after saying the people involved in this new show don't know canon lol.
    I also take issue with Data and Picard not being, at the very least, close friends. The last three movies either culminated or started out with their friendship. Even if one argues that that's a movie invention rather than being in TNG, ST: Picard makes it very clear that they're counting the impact of the movies here, with Nemesis being the most key to the plot.

(On a side note, for all the faults of the show, I do like that they showrunners are all like, "let's take the film that killed the prime movie franchise and see what ramifications it would have had." Turns out, it's a lot.)

Back to the episode, killing off Hugh was so unnecessary since it was done to show how evil the villain is, but each episode shows her evil anyway. It's so redundant now.

However, I'm hoping that he's just enough Borg that nanoprobes heal him. It's just that he didn't know this would happen because he's never been bored before (though, props to Del Arco for showing an xB with tangible fear and sorrow. I'm gonna miss him.).

One minor thing: Picard really shouldn't be using old titles for his former crew, even if those are the ranks he remembers most fondly. Riker was a captain the last time we saw him, dammit. Though, in my ideal world, here Riker would be admiral and Troi would have reached the rank of captain at the very least. Chekov was a commander for 20 years, and Harry Kim is still an ensign (jk but really tho)

But all in all, it really was good to see old friends, and that they got to meet one of Picard's new friends. It was also good to pay some lip service in comparing the new crew to the TNG crew. When Troi showed Picard her son's room, I half expected Geordi and Worf to show up.

Lastly, I really like Elnor, and he's already the deadliest protagonist Trek has ever seen. Still, I bet DS9 Worf is still spry at his age and would have fared better in that 1-on-1 fight.
    Last edited by Cyke; 03-06-2020 at 01:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    Berman was never this imaginative or progressive as Trek is now. Trek's allows to be experimental, it's why we have Deep Space Nine while he made Voyager and Enterprise.
    Sadly, I think that Discovery and Picard are right in line with Voyager and Enterprise. Kurtzman vs Berman steel cage match!
    Last edited by Anthony W; 03-06-2020 at 08:02 AM.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Best episode of the show so far!

>Seriously, though... The old school warp effect! <3
    >Elnor is a boss!
    >Romulan Incest Twin Sister is hot. Not quite as hot as Sweaty Footballer Rios but still hot.
    >We all knew Hugh had to die. No good deed, etc. But Thad?! That just seems like needless trauma! Poor Will and Deanna. Stem cell parallels, yes.
    >Picard telling Deanna who knows better that he's really fine followed by Deanna in her dead son's room telling Picard who knows better that she's really fine? Those scenes were genuinely heartbreaking.
    >I SO wanted Will to arm the house's phasers and photon torpedoes.
    >Deanna counseled everyone like a BOSS! She's still got it.
    >Will and Deanna have also sequestered themselves. Life post-Enterprise seems to have driven everyone to become hermits.
    >Kestra was cool, and the parallel to 'Home' with Picard's nephew was nice. And the artificial heart joke.
    >Wow, Jurati. Thanks for having the ovaries to at least try to kill yourself to save the others. And the EMH's reaction was great but I wonder why the EMH doesn't sound an immediate alarm for the crew when someone's in a serious condition.
    >Auntie Raffi is playing into a disturbing Black Mama motif here, being there emotionally for the poor white person. Her comment about being an emergency good person was hilarious, though.
    >At least Picard nods to how broken his new 'crew' are.
    Sadly, I think that Discovery and Picard are right in line with Voyager and Enterprise. Kurtzman vs Berman steel cage match!
    Chabon and crew's PIC work is light years ahead of DIS season 1. I don't even have the energy to call Discovery STD anymore. And Voyager and Enterprise were light years ahead of DIS s1, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

BANNED

That's not what happened at all. It's ironic that you'd post that after saying the people involved in this new show don't know canon lol.
    that's such a small fraction of my larger point but good for you

they don't know the canon. that's very obvious.

Killing Hugh ruined an otherwise really enjoyable episode. Not sure why they had to kill him, except the bad lady is bad.

It's too bad the bad lady doesn't have any depth. Nothing like a villain who's bad just for the sake of it.

I think I hate this show?

Niffleheim

I loved a lot of things in the current episode, mostly everything in Nepenthe with Picard and Co. - but i disliked everything about Rios, Raffi, Agnes. The cigar smoking and whatever Raffi smokes, the language and whatever they eat or things the writer use to make them relatable (like the soccer scene the Captain was doing last week smh). I didn't mind Hugh being killed but i hate it that it involved Picard's action. THIS cannot be what follows The Next Generation, they are completely two different things - the violence and Elnor wielding a sword and jumping around i just wanted it to STOP.
    Last edited by Tofali; 03-06-2020 at 05:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    I loved a lot of things in the current episode, mostly everything in Nepenthe with Picard and Co. - but i disliked everything about Rios, Raffi, Agnes. The cigar smoking and whatever Raffi smokes, the language and whatever they eat or things the writer use to make them relatable (like the soccer scene the Captain was doing last week smh). I didn't mind Hugh being killed but i hate it that it involved Picard's action. THIS cannot be what follows The Next Generation, they are completely two different things - the violence and Elnor wielding a sword and jumping around i just wanted it to STOP.
    What's your issue with what they eat or a sword? Do you feel the same about bat'leths?
    HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/store

Niffleheim

What's your issue with what they eat or a sword? Do you feel the same about bat'leths?
    Hmmmm i wanna say NEVER but i tolerated it TNG because i love Worf but i think he was more competent with it in DS9. I don't like Swords in my Star Trek.