Page 53 of 136 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455565763103 ... LastLast

There's also the question of what exactly went on during the gap between the TOS movies and TNG. Seems like there were a few hiccups here and there; the Klingon peace didn't really become a sure thing until the Enterprise C, the war with the Cardassians, whatever happened at the Tomed Inciddent (I know several novels cover these events) etc. Also the Romulans, while kind of detached from the Federation, apparently did have enough contact with the Klingons for the two to absolutely hate each other.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Exactly. And Idk if intangibility actually protects against direct-energy weapons, like phasers
    To borrow from another sci-fi series that did something similar, I figure it should work like this...
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Incredible Member

Annie Wersching to play the Borg Queen in "Star Trek: Picard' Season 2

After starring in some of the most popular shows on television like 24 and The Vampire Diaries, Annie Wersching has now confirmed to join the cast of Star Trek: Picard as a recurring character.

The sci-fi series is a sequel to 2002’s Star Trek: Nemesis, 2009’s Star Trek, and TV series Star Strek: The Next Generation.

The story follows Jean-Luc Picard (Patrick Stewart) who gets caught in the intergalactic drama of the late 24th century — a tough time for the Federation following the devastation of planet Romulus.

Wersching will play the Borg Queen, who was previously played by Alice Krige and Susanna Thompson. She is the cyborg leader of an alien troupe that shares a collective brain.

They were first introduced in The Next Generation, the main villains of 1996’s Star Trek: First Contact, and were also featured in the Star Strek: Voyager series.

BANNED

it looks like they are just bringing back, the who of who's. Q, The Borg Queen and Guinan.

The problem with this is that, this characters would likely all turn out to be derivate caricatures of themselves.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    To borrow from another sci-fi series that did something similar, I figure it should work like this...
    I always wondered, though, if DEWs should go through invisible objects, not intangible ones.

Ok. I guess this is a different queen.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Possibly. I could also see a legitimate argument that TOS and TNG were both created during relatively optimistic times in the US, while Picard and DISC come from a less optimistic place. It may be less the ST many of us would like, but I can see the Federation's decline less as a reflection of a character than as a reflection of us.
    It is not really. Please watch this video from beginning to end.

Picard and Disc get it wrong because they think the only one way to have compelling stories is to have less optimism. This is so wrong where star trek is concerned.

Wonder if it's intended to be the same Queen? First Contact and Voyager seemed to heavily imply that the Queen is somehow able to transfer her mind and body even if they're destroyed to another cube/sphere etc. Two actresses (Krige again but also Susanna Thompson played her in Voyager but the makeup was pretty much identical). It was never really explained (probably some kind of cloning mixed with uploading her mind I'd guess).

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Possibly. I could also see a legitimate argument that TOS and TNG were both created during relatively optimistic times in the US, while Picard and DISC come from a less optimistic place. It may be less the ST many of us would like, but I can see the Federation's decline less as a reflection of a character than as a reflection of us.
    Weren't the 1960s a fairly rough decade? It seemed several TOS TREK episodes were allegories of 60s events including the cold war, although the space program did pretty well (apart from of course disasters like Apollo I and 13). Granted, The 80s were fairly optimistic (although not without their problems) although even ST VI is somewhat based heavily on the last years of the Soviet Union/cold war (Praxis=Chernobyl for example).

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Wonder if it's intended to be the same Queen? First Contact and Voyager seemed to heavily imply that the Queen is somehow able to transfer her mind and body even if they're destroyed to another cube/sphere etc. Two actresses (Krige again but also Susanna Thompson played her in Voyager but the makeup was pretty much identical). It was never really explained (probably some kind of cloning mixed with uploading her mind I'd guess).
    I've never been quite sure.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Weren't the 1960s a fairly rough decade? It seemed several TOS TREK episodes were allegories of 60s events including the cold war, although the space program did pretty well (apart from of course disasters like Apollo I and 13). Granted, The 80s were fairly optimistic (although not without their problems) although even ST VI is somewhat based heavily on the last years of the Soviet Union/cold war (Praxis=Chernobyl for example).
    The late 60s were. Early to mid, the majority were still kidding themselves pretty hard.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    It is not really. Please watch this video from beginning to end.

Picard and Disc get it wrong because they think the only one way to have compelling stories is to have less optimism. This is so wrong where star trek is concerned.
    I didnt present it as an absolute. I said I could see an argument in contrast to the view the less optimistic tone results from a choice to have the focal character in a place of lost optimism.

Borg Queen, eh? So we'll see Old Man Locutus?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    I always wondered, though, if DEWs should go through invisible objects, not intangible ones.
    Depends how the invisibility is being achieved, I suppose. If it's merely bending photons but you're getting hit with an anti-proton beam, probably not. :P
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    "So, I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all, I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again, I would. Garak was right about one thing, a guilty conscience is a small price to pay for the safety of the Alpha Quadrant. So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it…" - Captain Benjamin Sisko, "In the Pale Moonlight" (DS9)
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    "So, I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all, I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again, I would. Garak was right about one thing, a guilty conscience is a small price to pay for the safety of the Alpha Quadrant. So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it…" - Captain Benjamin Sisko, "In the Pale Moonlight" (DS9)
    ...and this was followed by an episode where Odo consults a holographic lounge singer about his relationship with Kira. The whole season wasn't depression and darkness.

Discovery has some lighter material too, at least past the first season I think.