Page 60 of 136 FirstFirst ... 105056575859606162636470110 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    Watching Episode 2 and correct me if I'm wrong but, according to time travel rules in Trek, Q changing the past created an alternate reality/divergent timeline. So the Picard crew have really had their minds transplanted into their new reality's bodies. Them fixing the past won't actually put them back in their correct universe, would it?
    You're thinking of the Marvel Comic movies.
    Sounds perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    You're thinking of the Marvel Comic movies.
    No, I was thinking of the newest Trek films.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    Watching Episode 2 and correct me if I'm wrong but, according to time travel rules in Trek, Q changing the past created an alternate reality/divergent timeline. So the Picard crew have really had their minds transplanted into their new reality's bodies. Them fixing the past won't actually put them back in their correct universe, would it?
    It wasn't really clear what Q did when he brought them to that Mirror Universe, in the past when they went there their Mirror counterparts went to "our" universe so it could be that they died on the Stargazer and not "our" crew...but who knows?
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

BANNED

saw episode 2. another doom and gloom. Usually I dont mind doom and gloom but this has not been a major staple of star trek.

Did anyone also notice that this is like a retelling of star trek discovery season 1 when the discovery crew visit the mirror universe and the characters find out about other versions of themselves in a different universe.

I dont know how I am feeling about this season but I will keep watching

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    saw episode 2. another doom and gloom. Usually I dont mind doom and gloom but this has not been a major staple of star trek.

Did anyone also notice that this is like a retelling of star trek discovery season 1 when the discovery crew visit the mirror universe and the characters find out about other versions of themselves in a different universe.

I dont know how I am feeling about this season but I will keep watching
    That's not a discovery exclusive thing, that's literally been apart of every Mirror Universe story ever in Star Trek.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    That's not a discovery exclusive thing, that's literally been apart of every Mirror Universe story ever in Star Trek.
    yes I know it is but it just feels too soon to rethread on the story again.

yes I know it is but it just feels too soon to rethread on the story again.
    ...The main Mirrorverse story was five years ago, and I don't know about you but it feels even longer ago thanks to covid-time distortion.

Ultimate Member

The first episode had me hoping that this season wasn't going to be as shitty and grim and 'un-Star Trekky' as last season, but here we are, back at the bleak dystopian crap that I can watch almost anything *other* than Star Trek to find.

My favorite Star Trek episodes and arcs have always been about external threats and challenges, and a more-or-less hopeful future, not 'Starfleet is the bad guy' or 'humans suck.'

That said, I do enjoy the occasional Mirror Universe episode, as a palate-cleanser, but over and over, not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    The first episode had me hoping that this season wasn't going to be as shitty and grim and 'un-Star Trekky' as last season, but here we are, back at the bleak dystopian crap that I can watch almost anything *other* than Star Trek to find.

My favorite Star Trek episodes and arcs have always been about external threats and challenges, and a more-or-less hopeful future, not 'Starfleet is the bad guy' or 'humans suck.'

That said, I do enjoy the occasional Mirror Universe episode, as a palate-cleanser, but over and over, not so much.
    We were saying this. How the makers of newer series and movies seem to be desperate to not be making Star Trek, even though the audience can already get not-Star-Trek by watching literally anything else.

I think the alternate universe is just this episode and maybe the next one until the time-travel/2024 plot kicks in.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post

Guys, it's only the second episode. Of a season that will deal with traveling to the past to fix the future. Of course they are going to have one or two episodes in said dystopian future, so everyone knows what they want to prevent.

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    Guys, it's only the second episode. Of a season that will deal with traveling to the past to fix the future. Of course they are going to have one or two episodes in said dystopian future, so everyone knows what they want to prevent.
    I just can't wrap my head around people not liking these episodes, they didn't seem grim at all to me.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    I just can't wrap my head around people not liking these episodes, they didn't seem grim at all to me.
    Maybe they avoided all the trailers and interviews about season 2 and saw it directly after watching season 1?

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    Maybe they avoided all the trailers and interviews about season 2 and saw it directly after watching season 1?
    Re-watching these directly after binging season one actually made me enjoy them as the difference really seemed night and day tonally. Not that I hated season one mind you, it was decent enough until the end in my mind, but the first two episodes were much different. Sure Picard was a little down on himself about not being able to let himself have an adult relationship, but despite that the interaction with Guinan was pure fun, the graduation speech was uplifting and hopeful, and everything with Rios chomping his cigar on the bridge was a joy. And the second episode was no less fun even if it took place in a racist pro human future; between Agnes and her cat and Seven and Picard hamming it up as their evil selves it was a solid episode.

It's one of those things where I really wonder if the fact that this isn't Star Trek the Next Generation Season 8 is coloring people's perception of the show.

Well Seven's husband was played by the father of the actress that plays Soji. Pretty neat. But now I'm wondering if Soji herself will be disconnected from all of this, where we'll only see her in the premiere and season finale but not during.