Page 64 of 136 FirstFirst ... 145460616263646566676874114 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Also I think Discovery infers that there was some kind of time travel war (Which I think Voyager and Enterprise also hinted at). Hence the Guardian of Forever having to hide as the guy from CSI.
    Ent's major overall story arc was the Temporal Cold War, no hints it was a huge plot point to the show.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    His wikipedia entry says he's been blacklisted. Anyone know why?
    Nah, he hasn't been blacklisted. He was invited to the ST: Las Vegas convention for DS9's 25th anniversary panels and declined, and Ira Steven Behr & Co. tried to get him to appear on the What We Left Behind documentary.

He's on the record as saying he's said all he has to say about Sisko, and Trek in general. Unfortunately...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

He had a DUI around ten years ago and is a bit of an eccentric personality but I don't think it would cause somebody to be blacklisted.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

I'm thinking Q's powers are limited, not gone per se. He'd be panicking if they were gone I'd think. Maybe the Continuum (or another force) is preventing him from using his power directly on Renee Picard. Anything outside of that power is fair game (they psychologist, manipulating the current era Soong).

Really curious why the Watcher looks like Laris sans ears. I thought it was an entity that assumed that form, but, nope, just a regular humanoid with a job akin to the Watchers from Highlander.

This isn't going to end well for Jurati, her..."collaboration" I will say.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    I'm thinking Q's powers are limited, not gone per se. He'd be panicking if they were gone I'd think. Maybe the Continuum (or another force) is preventing him from using his power directly on Renee Picard. Anything outside of that power is fair game (they psychologist, manipulating the current era Soong).

Really curious why the Watcher looks like Laris sans ears. I thought it was an entity that assumed that form, but, nope, just a regular humanoid with a job akin to the Watchers from Highlander.

This isn't going to end well for Jurati, her..."collaboration" I will say.
    Alternatively, the Watcher IS Laris. She just isn't Laris yet.

Her tablet? Romulan text.

And she's monitoring a Picard as part of her duties protecting a key moment in time. Which she does by not getting in any way involved and being completely invisible.

I'm betting that something with JL will change the way she decides to do her job, from invisible to very, very much involved. And she ends up assigned to monitor him by 2401. She doesn't recognize the name Laris because she hasn't assumed it yet, and only chooses it because she knows it from already meeting the elderly Picard.

Curiously she was a member of the Tal Shiar as well. Although the whole thing about her background/bethrothal is kind of a weird thing, although we only have her word on that.

Also wondering about Soong's background in genetics, how it ties in with Arik's stuff in ENT and if the reason the committee ruled against Soong might have something to do with the Eugenics wars (Which seem to have not affected society as deeply as TOS implied-some book writers have implied that it was a "shadow war" of sorts). Also if it explains why all his male non-robot descendants look exactly like Brent Spiner.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

So...they can't just teleport Rios off the bus because they are worried about the effect that would have on the timeline?

Okay.

So they stop the bus and bust Rio out and....free everyone else?!
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    So...they can't just teleport Rios off the bus because they are worried about the effect that would have on the timeline?

Okay.

So they stop the bus and bust Rio out and....free everyone else?!
    Yeah, that's like a dozen butterflies that could mess with the timeline. The one who immediately made a cellphone call struck me as a potential problem, since that felt like a 'Chekov's gun' moment where it would later become relevant.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Curiously she was a member of the Tal Shiar as well. Although the whole thing about her background/bethrothal is kind of a weird thing, although we only have her word on that.

Also wondering about Soong's background in genetics, how it ties in with Arik's stuff in ENT and if the reason the committee ruled against Soong might have something to do with the Eugenics wars (Which seem to have not affected society as deeply as TOS implied-some book writers have implied that it was a "shadow war" of sorts). Also if it explains why all his male non-robot descendants look exactly like Brent Spiner.
    Eh, the Eugenics Wars to me is just another one of those things like the visual aesthetics of the technology in TOS that you just have to overlook. In the 60's the 1990's seemed like a long time away and it seemed like technology was advancing at exponential rates so it seemed plausible there could be both super humans and star ships with cryogenic sleeping pods for deep space treks in the not so distant future. You just have to accept that these kinds of things happen and slide it further along the timeline.

If coming up with a handwave that it was a "secret war" makes it more fun for some people I'm all for it, but for my tastes the simple explanation that it's a tv show that had no real way of predicting the future so its best not to worry about specific dates is far simpler, and thus making it not something you need to tie yourself in knots in order to explain away.

Further, as we approach 2026 we're going to need to do the same for WWIII's date. Sure, they'll be some who will no doubt come up with complex theories about temporal changes or what not but once again it'll just be a simple case where the real answer is," It was a TV show in the 60's, they couldn't know..." and you just have to shrug and move on.
    Last edited by thwhtGuardian; 04-03-2022 at 11:32 AM.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    Alternatively, the Watcher IS Laris. She just isn't Laris yet.

Her tablet? Romulan text.

And she's monitoring a Picard as part of her duties protecting a key moment in time. Which she does by not getting in any way involved and being completely invisible.

I'm betting that something with JL will change the way she decides to do her job, from invisible to very, very much involved. And she ends up assigned to monitor him by 2401. She doesn't recognize the name Laris because she hasn't assumed it yet, and only chooses it because she knows it from already meeting the elderly Picard.
    Possible, but how does that explain her husband? They were "promised to each other at birth". I suppose she could have implanted that memory into Zhaban's head, fabricated evidence to back it up.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Possible, but how does that explain her husband? They were "promised to each other at birth". I suppose she could have implanted that memory into Zhaban's head, fabricated evidence to back it up.
    Or they are both watchers
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Was thinking about how in TNG you’d get a whole time travel story and back to Ten Forward for Earl Grey in one episode. This season is like the same amount of story but padded out for as long as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    Was thinking about how in TNG you’d get a whole time travel story and back to Ten Forward for Earl Grey in one episode. This season is like the same amount of story but padded out for as long as possible.
    Well you have to understand that this is on a streaming network. The average subscriber pays monthly. It's designed to run a little over a month. This is why I'm doubtful about the nature of Strange New Worlds.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Or it'll end up a throw away line the writers forgot about...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES