Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Depends on which Hulk we're talking about, but typically I always looked at Hulk as the physically stronger of the two, while Thor has the larger and more diverse powerset to draw from.
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

if thor had a gun he could beat devil
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Hulk has always seemed stronger. Thor’s hammer has always been the equalizer. Depends on which era character. Overall I’d lay my money on the Hulk. I always thought the gods were not as tough as their arrogance portrayed them to be. Just a bunch of braggarts most of them are. War of Realms these mere mortals are more than holding their own. If the Immortal Hulk gets in the fight he’ll knock them all back to their respective realms.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dreaded Porcupine View Post
    Hulk has always seemed stronger. Thor’s hammer has always been the equalizer. Depends on which era character. Overall I’d lay my money on the Hulk. I always thought the gods were not as tough as their arrogance portrayed them to be. Just a bunch of braggarts most of them are. War of Realms these mere mortals are more than holding their own. If the Immortal Hulk gets in the fight he’ll knock them all back to their respective realms.
    No one gets portrayed more inconsistently power-wise than the gods. If we're talking about Asgardians, well, they're not really gods. Not all of them. Thor is a demi-god on account of his mother being one of Gaea's manifestations.

Both Thor and Hulk are characters who regularly go from depowered to virtually all-powerful depending on the writer and plot. Hulk is intended to be the strongest, but somehow strength gets confused with the true definition of power all of the time. I mean anything Hulk or Thor can lift at peak exertion a really powerful telekinetic or reality warper can do without lifting a finger.
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    No one gets portrayed more inconsistently power-wise than the gods. If we're talking about Asgardians, well, they're not really gods. Not all of them. Thor is a demi-god on account of his mother being one of Gaea's manifestations.

Both Thor and Hulk are characters who regularly go from depowered to virtually all-powerful depending on the writer and plot. Hulk is intended to be the strongest, but somehow strength gets confused with the true definition of power all of the time. I mean anything Hulk or Thor can lift at peak exertion a really powerful telekinetic or reality warper can do without lifting a finger.
    Pretty sure Thor's not a demi-god as Gaea is not a mortal. If we classify him as a demi-god, so are almost all the Olympians, as they are grandchildren of Gaea, all of them being born of the Titans, who were Gaea's offspring with Uranus.

It's varied by writer and story, but there's at least one match up where a contest of pure strength went on for an extended period of time as a draw...
    Image.jpg

Breaker of Worlds Immortal Hulk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Pretty sure Thor's not a demi-god as Gaea is not a mortal. If we classify him as a demi-god, so are almost all the Olympians, as they are grandchildren of Gaea, all of them being born of the Titans, who were Gaea's offspring with Uranus.

It's varied by writer and story, but there's at least one match up where a contest of pure strength went on for an extended period of time as a draw...
    Image.jpg
    That's really old, and the only one, in fact. Also, at that time, we're talking about a Hulk who had a much lower base strength than today (he was class 70), so that was possible. It would take quite some time until he reached enough strength. Nowadays (actually, in decades) things are way different. Hulk's base strength already starts in insane levels.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Hulk View Post
    That's really old, and the only one, in fact. Also, at that time, we're talking about a Hulk who had a much lower base strength than today (he was class 70), so that was possible. It would take quite some time until he reached enough strength. Nowadays (actually, in decades) things are way different. Hulk's base strength already starts in insane levels.
    Like I said, it depends on the writer. I always thought Lee and his successors were wise to leave this an unanswered question.

Breaker of Worlds Immortal Hulk's Avatar

Like I said, it depends on the writer. I always thought Lee and his successors were wise to leave this an unanswered question.
    Indeed. Anyway, this is a topic that shouldn't even be in this part of the forum. It should've been moved, at least.

My point is that Thor is a Demi-god because of Odin not being a true god in the same sense that Gaea is. I know that Gaea is an Elder God and a true god, as are most -- but not all -- of her children.
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”

~James Baldwin

Astonishing Member

My point is that Thor is a Demi-god because of Odin not being a true god in the same sense that Gaea is. I know that Gaea is an Elder God and a true god, as are most -- but not all -- of her children.
    Thor is a full god in regards marvel mythos, as is Odin and the elder goddess Gaea, his mother is directly crafted from the demiurge, none of them have mortal parentage

Hercules was a demi god born of mortal woman and Zeus, he died a mortal death and was raised to full godhood be Zeus,vwhich is one of the reasons every now and then Zeus removes his full godly might and he is reduced to his demi god level like when he fought the hulk in the hulk-hercules one shot called unleased iirc

If anything Thor is more pure blood god than most Asgardians given his mother is an elder god, as are the other pantheon heads like Odin and Zeus as they more directly tap into the demiurge, via the Odin force I think and the promethium flame

As I recall
    Last edited by kilderkin; 05-17-2019 at 01:49 PM.

Boisterously Confused

I think the Nordic tribes would want a word with you (possibly involving sharp, pointy, and bludgeoning instruments) if you suggested that either Odin, any of his sons (for that matter, any of the Aesir) were not gods.

As I recall it, Demi-Gods, in the classical Greek use of the term, were children of the Olympian deities and mortals (almost universally women seduced by the male gods). These were the heroes of Greek myth, and IRL some of the ancient Greek city states tied their founders to one or more of those Heroes, in much the same way Egyptians tied their Pharaohs to Osiris, Horus, and (especially) Amon-Ra.

Kirby and his followers unambiguously characterized the Asgardians, and the Olympians (including, erroneously, Hercules) as gods. Now, I'll admit, I haven't followed every reinterpretation of Marvel over the last decade. Did something (other than the movies) demote either the Asgardians or the Olympians from the station Kirby, et al. gave them in the way back then?

Kirby and his followers unambiguously characterized the Asgardians, and the Olympians (including, erroneously, Hercules) as gods. Now, I'll admit, I haven't followed every reinterpretation of Marvel over the last decade. Did something (other than the movies) demote either the Asgardians or the Olympians from the station Kirby, et al. gave them in the way back then?
    no but they don't have worshipers and people question their godhood in the comics.

I guess that's why fans are confused more or less.

Quote Originally Posted by GodThor View Post
    no but they don't have worshipers and people question their godhood in the comics.

I guess that's why fans are confused more or less.
    I'll see if I can track down the issue...or maybe it was a bullpen item...but the confusion regarding the Asgardians came directly from Marvel. It was bolstered by several iterations of OHOTMU -- which, granted, was flawed in some way in all its forms -- that stipulated that Asgardians weren't "true immortals." When I refer to Asgardians, it's with that in mind.

At the end of the day the Asgardians did have worshippers. Thor in particular. The last of the Einherjar worshipped him, as did others. But worship alone isn't sufficient. Annihilus, Galactus, various cosmic beings, Apocalypse and countless Eternals, Deviants and countless others all had worshippers. Heck, depending on which religion and/or cult we're talking about, several mortals have been deified as well.

I'm fine with however Marvel chooses to identify the Asgardians. I just ask that they do so clearly and consistently.

~James Baldwin

I'll see if I can track down the issue...or maybe it was a bullpen item...but the confusion regarding the Asgardians came directly from Marvel. It was bolstered by several iterations of OHOTMU -- which, granted, was flawed in some way in all its forms -- that stipulated that Asgardians weren't "true immortals." When I refer to Asgardians, it's with that in mind.
    oh yeah, true.

I personally don't take those guides to face value, even though they are supposed to be "official" haha.

I'm pretty sure we are gonna get one after War of the Realms.

At the end of the day the Asgardians did have worshippers. Thor in particular. The last of the Einherjar worshipped him, as did others. But worship alone isn't sufficient. Annihilus, Galactus, various cosmic beings, Apocalypse and countless Eternals, Deviants and countless others all had worshippers. Heck, depending on which religion and/or cult we're talking about, several mortals have been deified as well.
    worship gives them a lot of power and they can hear them across the Universe.

I guess this is one of the reasons why Zeus and Olympians got steam rolled by Nyx because they don't have them.

there are other traits as well.

Quote Originally Posted by GodThor View Post
    worship gives them a lot of power and they can hear them across the Universe.

I guess this is one of the reasons why Zeus and Olympians got steam rolled by Nyx because they don't have them.

there are other traits as well.
    It's part of Marvel's metaphysics that they've yet to work out. I seem to recall dreaded Dormammu, who is also considered a god by some of the denizens of the Dark Dimension, able to acquire godlike attributes from his worshippers. One of the things that most of these so-called Supreme Beings can do that has zero basis in science is absorb all of the life forces of their denizens into themselves on demand. In fact, that was one of my main arguments in support of Odin being a true god. I don't think even the handbooks explained just how that's possible, if you're not a god/supernatural entity.

Anyway, we've derailed this thread enough. Always fun chatting up the myths, though.

~James Baldwin