Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    I'll see if I can track down the issue...or maybe it was a bullpen item...but the confusion regarding the Asgardians came directly from Marvel. It was bolstered by several iterations of OHOTMU -- which, granted, was flawed in some way in all its forms -- that stipulated that Asgardians weren't "true immortals." When I refer to Asgardians, it's with that in mind.

At the end of the day the Asgardians did have worshippers. Thor in particular. The last of the Einherjar worshipped him, as did others. But worship alone isn't sufficient. Annihilus, Galactus, various cosmic beings, Apocalypse and countless Eternals, Deviants and countless others all had worshippers. Heck, depending on which religion and/or cult we're talking about, several mortals have been deified as well.

I'm fine with however Marvel chooses to identify the Asgardians. I just ask that they do so clearly and consistently.
    I don't have the issue at my finger tips either. But what I recall is that they were talking about Asgardians not being immortal in the same sense as Olympians. I don't recall them articulating what that means.

However, both The Prose Edda and Marvel's stories indicate that the Asgardians rely on Idun's Apples to maintain their youth and vigor. There didn't seem to be a similar constraint on the Olympians in ancient myth.

EXCEPT: Marvel established that The Olympians rely on The Flame of Prometheus burning in Olympus for their immortality (that's actually critical to the plot of Avengers 50). So, although UOHOTMU overlooked it, the Olympians are no more immortal than the Asgardians. They just have a different means of sustenance.

Taking it out of the comics, I'd say there's another test to level. If they prayed to you, and built temples to you, and sacrificed animals to you, you were considered a god. All of that happened for the Asgardians. It didn't happen for any of the demi-gods, except for Dionysus, who was basically promoted to godhood, and allowed a seat in Olympus.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Taking it out of the comics, I'd say there's another test to level. If they prayed to you, and built temples to you, and sacrificed animals to you, you were considered a god. All of that happened for the Asgardians. It didn't happen for any of the demi-gods, except for Dionysus, who was basically promoted to godhood, and allowed a seat in Olympus.
    I think at one point even Hercules had his own temple erected. Throughout human history temples have been resurrected for a number of individuals for various reasons. Look no further than Egypt as exhibit A. And the pharaohs check all of those boxes, too. Let's face it: humans are always worshipping something. Some consider it our greatest strength (the capacity to appreciate something bigger than ourselves), while others believe it to be our greatest weakness.
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

Boisterously Confused

I think at one point even Hercules had his own temple erected. Throughout human history temples have been resurrected for a number of individuals for various reasons. Look no further than Egypt as exhibit A. And the pharaohs check all of those boxes, too. Let's face it: humans are always worshipping something. Some consider it our greatest strength (the capacity to appreciate something bigger than ourselves), while others believe it to be our greatest weakness.
    None of which supports the contention that Asgardians are merely demi-gods.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    None of which supports the contention that Asgardians are merely demi-gods.
    I didn't say that all Asgardians are demi-gods, only that Thor was, with credit for his immortal godhead attributable to Gaea. "Demi" meaning "half", of course, and not necessarily to denote that he was in any way human, or connote that he was necessarily a lesser being.
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

I remember an old comic where Thor and Hulk were fighting, and they grabbed wrists and held the pose for hours, neither one moving or losing ground. Both were sweating profusely. Thor had the disadvantage of having to reach up while the Hulk being taller, had leverage on his side. That fight was a draw.

Thor and Hulk are and always should be the two biggest hitters in Marvel. Hulk's always got that 'Madder he gets the stronger he gets' thing going so in the long run, it'll always be Hulk who is strongest.

That said, I think in an average fight, Thor actually starts off at top strength and is at least as strong if not stronger... but Hulk can quickly dwarf that. Thor I think is more POWERFUL. He has comparable strength and endurance... along with flight, weather, dimensional travel and a dozen or so other powers that more than make up the difference that Hulk has in pure strength. Not to mention centuries of combat training. Hulk can smash with the best of them... but Thor is a seasoned warrior-born.

Same thing with Superman vs. Hulk. They're both the top tier strength.... but Superman just has more tools to get creative with.

When DeFalco took over as EIC at marvel in late 80s (?), marvel's stance was Hulk is stronger but Thor more powerful. That stance was repeated in 2001 Hulk annual.

Additionally, since Hulks exposure to the warp core explosion on Sakaar, his base strength is likely even if not surpassing Thors. Additionally, Thor is simply written like a cream puff these days. No offense to Thor fans (I'm a huge Thor fan).
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margret's not coming?"
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

Boisterously Confused

I didn't say that all Asgardians are demi-gods, only that Thor was, with credit for his immortal godhead attributable to Gaea. "Demi" meaning "half", of course, and not necessarily to denote that he was in any way human, or connote that he was necessarily a lesser being.
    I grant that I overreached is saying you accused all Aesir of being demi-gods. Your contention that Marvel's interpretation of Thor is a demi-god is still wrong unless you can establish that either Odin or Gaea is a mortal.

By definition, a demi-god is a half-mortal entity. Furthermore, strictly speaking, it is a Greco-Roman term that does not apply to Nordic mythology.
    Last edited by DrNewGod; 05-17-2019 at 08:14 PM.