Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by theoneandonly View Post
    you must have missed the part where he has Bruce admit he had attempted suicide as a child.
    Suicidality is not manic depression/bipolar. And Batman isn't being portrayed as manic depressive/bipolar at all in King's run. I think maybe some misunderstand what bipolar is.

Maybe this is just me, but I think after perhaps too many Batman stories or appearances when he is "too competent", I don't mind this iteration going in the opposite direction making him much more flawed and less in control.

No, didn't miss it. 'Manic depression' or 'bipolar disorder' are very specific things though, attempting suicide and being fixated on fighting criminals are not in themselves sufficient or necessary conditions for such a diagnosis or indication of such a diagnosis, so I was wondering what your reasons for this were - I guess you have some idiosyncratic meaning for the term that you find informatively description but presume everyone else shares this idiosyncratic meaning, but alas, nope.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by talon1load View Post
    because king is unoriginal and can't come up with any actual dialogue? He just has to repeat the same couple of phrases for 71 issues and still gets praise. He probably figures there's no point in trying to improve because people fawn over his work as it is.
    is it just me or did issue 67 steal the ending of killing joke

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by maninthemacintosh1606 View Post
    No, didn't miss it. 'Manic depression' or 'bipolar disorder' are very specific things though, attempting suicide and being fixated on fighting criminals are not in themselves sufficient or necessary conditions for such a diagnosis or indication of such a diagnosis, so I was wondering what your reasons for this were - I guess you have some idiosyncratic meaning for the term that you find informatively description but presume everyone else shares this idiosyncratic meaning, but alas, nope.
    well whatever.either you are very unfamiliar with kings work and the mythos he has created for Batman or just don't want to acknowledge he does want to deal with mental illness using his work as a platform. is Bruce specifically bipolar and can anyone authoritatively state he is not? no that may not be so and he certainly comes across as one you can argue as he is suffering from paranoid rage, suffers grandiose delusions that Gotham cannot survive without him and from extreme mood swings where he is laughing and crying the next second along with clinical depression or mania in short the generic symptom of manic depression. so no it's not a "idiosyncratic" meaning I have come up with but does generally fits the description of Bruce's current mental health hence the use of that term. perhaps you could say he is just a victim of PSTD or depression according to your "idiosyncratic" interpretation but unless you are trying to say you are a qualified psychiatrist or something you can't definitely say he isn't a bipolar as depicted in kings work or maybe you are ignorant of the general symptoms of manic depression so don't see anything of that sort going on in current batman. anyway that's not the purpose of the thread as it is specifically for addressing the issue of Batman's obsession over breaking Bane's back so if you are not going to pertain to the point of discussion of the thread you are free to start another thread discussing why you think Bruce isn't suffering from manic depression but this is not the purpose of this thread.
    Last edited by theoneandonly; 05-22-2019 at 03:43 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    Suicidality is not manic depression/bipolar. And Batman isn't being portrayed as manic depressive/bipolar at all in King's run. I think maybe some misunderstand what bipolar is.
    well it's not a specific indicator but you seem to be unaware of the fact that bipolar patients are at a great risk for suicide. as such the the description isn't a unlikely description of Bruce's current mentality what with all the manipulations of bane somewhat though I certainly don't want to be discussing the various mental issues Tom Kings Batman may suffer from as that isn't the purpose of this thread. It's more aligned to discuss why king is having Bruce obsessed with breaking banes back rather than any other general/specific hangups he is having.