Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21
  1. #1
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    4,158

    Default Batman's obsession over breaking bane's back

    Tom Kings Batman apparently has a idee fixe in his mind about breaking banes back. We get it that Bane once broke Bruce's back and left him paraplegic and granted it was his most traumatic moment at that period which must haunt him in some dark corner of his mind but he didn't feel the need before to bring it up in every conversation he had with Bane or threaten to permanently paralyze him. why is Tom King feeding this particular trope that Batman is a manic depressive traumatized to the point that it's a wonder he can function at all?

  2. #2
    A Wearied Madness Vakanai's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,686

    Default

    Rather than have him talk about it, I would be okay if Batman just suddenly actually broke Bane's back.

  3. #3
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    1,081

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Rather than have him talk about it, I would be okay if Batman just suddenly actually broke Bane's back.
    I mean Catwoman did...somehow.

  4. #4
    Fantastic Member MarkRodriguez09's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    265

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Rather than have him talk about it, I would be okay if Batman just suddenly actually broke Bane's back.
    I agree. Less talk, more action. Plus it's realistic to have something like that permanently stuck somewhere in Batman's mind. Unless they retcon it away there's really no reason for him to ever be 100 percent over that.
    Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
    I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/

  5. #5
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    39,959

    Default

    King's Batman kind of has a one-track mind...

  6. #6
    Incredible Member Chubistian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Chile
    Posts
    714

    Default

    Batman uses the phrase as a way to humilliate Bane. That was the major victory from Bane and since then he hasn't achieved anything as big as that, so he gets really mad with that threat. Also, it's a mantra to go against a man that can cause him so much pain once again and that almost made Bruce stop being Batman forever

    At the same time, Batman has never truly left that moment go and up to this day is one of his major defeats, and the physical pain it brought is unforgettable to him. There're quite a few precedents on how much Knightfall affected Bruce:

    -In No Man's Land we see how Bane's invasion at wayne manor made bruce create many safehouses.
    -The second of Batman's ghost was a cop on venom mixed with Dr Strange's fear gas and Scarecrow's gas, if I recall it right, and he resembled Bane a lot in his design.
    -When Darkseid's minions invaded Bruce's mind and he was finding the truth about the intrusion, they used the moment when Bane broke the Bat to put him off the trail. The imperfect clone that was used as a decoy to simulate Bruce's death later would remember Bane mixed with Bataz armor and a Scarecrow hat breaking a straw when thinking about the "rewards" he got for all his sacrifice
    -The Heretic too played a back breaker move that emulated Bane's, but I think that has more to do with a red herring to the readers at the moment.
    -In the first arc of Dark Knight in the New 52 Batman admited that he feared Bane, though that story was pretty bad.
    Last edited by Chubistian; 05-16-2019 at 11:52 AM.
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

    "We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

  7. #7
    Astonishing Member Jackalope89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    3,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    King's Batman kind of has a one-track mind...
    When he sees Bane, "I'm gonna break your back! Grrr!"
    When he sees Selina, "Cat... LOVE ME!"
    When he sees Dick, "Stop quipping, I'm brooding!"
    When he sees Jason, "You stupid little ****! This is my **** city because I said it is!"




  8. #8
    Astonishing Member Restingvoice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    2,557

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by theoneandonly View Post
    Tom Kings Batman apparently has a idee fixe in his mind about breaking banes back. We get it that Bane once broke Bruce's back and left him paraplegic and granted it was his most traumatic moment at that period which must haunt him in some dark corner of his mind but he didn't feel the need before to bring it up in every conversation he had with Bane or threaten to permanently paralyze him. why is Tom King feeding this particular trope that Batman is a manic depressive traumatized to the point that it's a wonder he can function at all?
    Oh, I just think he likes repetition. Bat Cat Bat Cat and all that.

  9. #9
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    646

    Default

    Because King is unoriginal and can't come up with any actual dialogue? He just has to repeat the same couple of phrases for 71 issues and still gets praise. He probably figures there's no point in trying to improve because people fawn over his work as it is.

  10. #10
    Astonishing Member BatmanJones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    3,233

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    King's Batman kind of has a one-track mind...
    He does. He still thinks he can punch ("POW") his way out of anything. That's the point. He's going to learn he can't.

  11. #11
    Extraordinary Member adrikito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Gotham City
    Posts
    6,606

    Default

    ... Revenge??

  12. #12
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    4,158

    Default

    I feel that Batmans encounter with him in legacy and in the post legacy one shot was much better portrayal of their struggle though admittedly it also had some clichés but still I prefer that to this version. If he is speaking as such due to manipulations of bane then it would make much more sense. That said we still haven't seen any particular foray by bane apart from the wedding that failed to materialize that would suggest any particular innovative foray that Bane has made in gaslighting Bruce. the whole khightmares arc features mental manipulations we have seen Bruce facing many times before in one form or another. King hasn't been successful so far imo in showing how bane has succeeded in gaslighting Bruce a past master himself in the art of manipulating his enemies so completely and thoroughly without him having a clue as to how he is doing it in a convincing manner.

  13. #13
    Incredible Member Chubistian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Chile
    Posts
    714

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by theoneandonly View Post
    I feel that Batmans encounter with him in legacy and in the post legacy one shot was much better portrayal of their struggle though admittedly it also had some clichés but still I prefer that to this version. If he is speaking as such due to manipulations of bane then it would make much more sense. That said we still haven't seen any particular foray by bane apart from the wedding that failed to materialize that would suggest any particular innovative foray that Bane has made in gaslighting Bruce. the whole khightmares arc features mental manipulations we have seen Bruce facing many times before in one form or another. King hasn't been successful so far imo in showing how bane has succeeded in gaslighting Bruce a past master himself in the art of manipulating his enemies so completely and thoroughly without him having a clue as to how he is doing it in a convincing manner.
    I really like what King is doing currently in Batman, but I too enjoyed Legacy. Well, the story itself had some things I wasn't too much into, but it's a lot of fun and the fight of Batman vs Bane drawn by Graham Nolan is awesome. I wish he had got to draw a fight like that in Bane Conquest even though I didn't like that limited series. The one shot Batman: Bane was cool too, and I think Legacy worked as a whole even though Bane involved in plans of genocide and world conquering is a little extreme for the character that is more rooted in smaller stories (that are still big, as Knightfall, but don't involved releasing deadly viruses nor blowing up a city)
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

    "We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

  14. #14

    Default

    Why do you think Batman is portrayed as a 'manic depressive' by King??

  15. #15
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    4,158

    Default

    you must have missed the part where he has Bruce admit he had attempted suicide as a child.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •