Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

1980s for me.

2000's. Geoff Johns' Green Lantern and work on Superman, Gotham Central, All-Star Superman and Sterling Gates' Supergirl just to name a few great runs.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

I bought more books in the 90s than I ever did.
    The Bat titles were all excellent.
    Green Lantern was a blast
    The Flash SOARED.
    JLA
    Kingdom Come
    Starman

So much great stuff.

For Marvel, it's ALL about the 70's for me.
    There was some wonderfully weird **** coming from the House of Ideas!
    And I don't think there's ever been time since where Spider-Man was stronger.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Incredible Member

For me, it is the 90s, mostly because you had a lot of the strength of the 80s storytelling coupled with good art all across the board. After Infinite Crisis, DC went downward for me.

Easily the 90s but there is so much good in the 70s and 80s as well.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

112 of the reasons I picked the '80s:

Last edited by Lee Stone; 05-17-2019 at 03:35 AM.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    124 of the reasons I picked the '80s:

I should probably add another row for Fire & Ice and a few more post-Crisis characters.
    I love this.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    I love this.
    Thanks.
    Just updated it.
    Added another row before the Legion for Fire, Ice, Catwoman, Warlord, Swamp Thing, Guy Gardner, Captain Atom and the Question.

Seems I also mis-added.
    Last edited by Lee Stone; 05-17-2019 at 03:36 AM.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

That's a hard question. An excruciatingly hard question. Because from my perspective every decade every large comic book publisher pumps out:

5% great content
    15% good content
    40% mediocre content
    20% Irredeemable dreck

Every single time.

The 1990's. 100%.

Why? The Wally West Flash run from Loeb and Waid was amazing. Best runs on the character ever. Robinson Starman, Sandman, Kingdom Come, JLI and so many other great comics! In fact for DC 1986 to around 2006 was so so good.

The 90s.

We had triangle Superman, Thd best of Batman, The Flash being awesome. Kyle Rayner, Morrison’s JLA, Superboy, Steel, David’s Supergirl, a epic event every summer, an era when annuals mattered and were fun. Storylines like Death and Return of Superman, Emerald Twilight, Knightfall, The Contest, JLA in World War 3, Terminal Velocity, the intro of Green Arrow Hawke. You had the return of JSA, Plastic Man mattered again, Darkseid emerged as more than JUST a cosmic villain, but a dark god. An angel joined the JLA, the devil stole the souls of heroes and villains, Time went nuts and the sun went out. It don’t get any better than the 90s.

BANNED

I started reading comics in 2007 so the 2010s since it's my full first Decade reading

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Superfly Frankenstein View Post
    The 90s.

We had triangle Superman, Thd best of Batman, The Flash being awesome. Kyle Rayner, Morrison’s JLA, Superboy, Steel, David’s Supergirl, a epic event every summer, an era when annuals mattered and were fun. Storylines like Death and Return of Superman, Emerald Twilight, Knightfall, The Contest, JLA in World War 3, Terminal Velocity, the intro of Green Arrow Hawke. You had the return of JSA, Plastic Man mattered again, Darkseid emerged as more than JUST a cosmic villain, but a dark god. An angel joined the JLA, the devil stole the souls of heroes and villains, Time went nuts and the sun went out. It don’t get any better than the 90s.
    To all that add Elseworlds AND crossovers with Marvel.

THe 90s were sooooo cool.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Hol View Post
    The 1990's. 100%.

Why? The Wally West Flash run from Loeb and Waid was amazing. Best runs on the character ever. Robinson Starman, Sandman, Kingdom Come, JLI and so many other great comics! In fact for DC 1986 to around 2006 was so so good.
    For me, I would cut it off at about 1999 or so. I could never really get into the 2000s. I mainly associate that period with Dan DiDio and Geoff Johns, and nonstop events, and none of those factors ever did anything for me.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ilan Preskovsky View Post
    First, I wasn't talking about all of them. Gerber's Howard the Duck is still fantastic and I really like Green Lantern/ Green Arrow, though that's despite some very clunky writing.

Aside for something like the Spirit, there's just nothing particularly good about Golden Age comics. Historically important, sure, but not much fun to read.

For the Silver Age, the problem, unfortunately, is that comics were not written with adults in mind during and even in terms of things aimed at kids, older comics don't exactly fall into the Harry Potter school of writing. There are some fantastically inventive ideas in Silver Age comics and I can have fun with them in small doses but the dialogue is usually pretty terrible, there's too much exposition for a visual medium and the characterization was almost non-existent. I enjoyed that stuff when I was a kid but they're much harder to relate to as an adult. Some really nice art by the likes of Kirby or Infantino, though.

The Bronze Age is the easiest to get into, of course, but through they're often a lot less childish, they are overwritten to the point where they're a total slog to read. Folks like Chris Claremont and Marv Wolfman (to name the two biggies of the early '80s) are/ were very good writers but X-Men and New Teen Titans are way too wordy for their own good and, again, the dialogue is pretty stilted. It was in this period, though, that comics really started to grow up and there's still stuff from back then that reads just as well today. Moore's Swamp Thing, in particular, shifted the expository narration into something much more poetic and literary, which is something that seemingly all early Vertigo series picked up on. I actually greatly miss that kind of third-person narration and wish it would come back.

As you can see, my tolerance for old comics greatly improves over the years with each passing "age" offering more and more to latch on to. Though, again, I fully appreciate that for kids, it's really difficult to beat the Silver and Bronze ages.

I understand the comparison to older movies but it's a comparison that sadly doesn't really hold up. Compare comics in the '60s and '70s to, say, film or music and tell me that the medium - in particular, superhero comics - had come even close to its more respected counterparts. This isn't a criticism of comics as a medium but an acknowledgement that the earlier attitudes towards comics being, basically, trash for kids and juvenile, uneducated adults, and the later attitude of comics being harmful to kids and needing to be greatly neutered, meant that comics were stuck in a state of arrested development for decades. Within these parameters, there's still plenty to admire, of course, about old comics but I can't say that old comics work for me in the way that Annie Hall, Some Like It Hot or Casablanca do for me even now.
    Just to show you how subjective these sort of questions are: I happen to LOVE DC's Golden Age stuff; to me they're the four colored version of a stress ball: They always lighten my mood and I always have so much fun reading them (All-Star Comics is a particular joy to me).