Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Default Your favorite decade

What is your favorite decade in comics?

Astonishing Member failo.legendkiller's Avatar

90’s are my best period.
    Started with shocking events as death of superman, knightfall and emerald twilight and then build up solid premises for the future.
    Zero hour wasn’t the best event per se but was functional to make order in the DCU.
    After that we had Batfamily at his best, Flash family at his best, Legacy characters and order and logic in the continuity.

1980s
    For so many reasons.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

The 1970's for sentimental reasons.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Extraordinary Member

1. 1970s simply for Justice League of America the satellite years (and there's lots more I loved this decade)
    2. 1980s for Legion of Superheroes, New Teen Titans, and JLI/JLA/JLE
    3. 1990s for Kingdom Come, The Long Halloween, Death and return of Superman, and Flash
    4. 2000s for Justice and JSA

easily the 90s and early 2000s .

My favorite runs of all time took place during those years.
    1. Starman- James Robinson
    2. The Flash- Waid, Millar, Morrison, & Johns
    3. JSA- Robinson, Goyer, & Johns
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    1980s
    For so many reasons.
    Agreed. The 1980s were the era that opened with the introduction of Wolfman & Perez' The New Teen Titans, and ended with Burton's Batman proving that there was still an audience for big-budget superhero movies, and the first two Superman films hadn't been a fluke. In between, we got all kinds of great stuff:
    • All-Star Squadron
    • Perez' Wonder Woman
    • Infinity, Inc.
    • Miller's Dark Knight series
    • Booster Gold
    • The return of The Blue Beetle
    • Wolfman's Vigilante
    • The Wally West Flash
    • Checkmate
    • Hawkworld (the mini, not the on-going)
    • The Great Darkness Saga

...the list just goes on and on.

90's. Waid's Flash, JLA, Dixon's Robin, Nightwing, and Detective runs. Young Justice.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

Retired

This is always a hard question to answer. My first thought is the 1960s, but then I think of all the 1970s comics I bought. On the other hand, the 1940s were a great time for comics. And the 1950s get so little attention, but there's so many gems to be found there. And in actual fact, I bought more comics in the 1990s than at any other time in my life. Do I really have to choose?

The 2000s gave me the Johns run of Teen Titans (Which is still my favorite one to this day) and Morrison's Batman and Robin. Both are some of the only series I've completely enjoyed from start to finish.

BANNED

I feel comics reached their zenith in the 1980s. Primarily the mid to late 80s. A lot of this went into the early 90s, too. But the 90s also brought in a lot of undesirable trends that the 80s didn't have nearly as much of.

Michelinie and McFarlane Spider-Man, X-Men, Byrne and Jurgens Superman, Incredible Hulk, Batman, Wally West Flash, early Gerard Jones Green Lantern, Layton Iron Man, Perez Wonder Woman, Sandman, and so on. I feel comics were firing on all cylinders around this period. So I would say mid 80s to early 90s.
    Last edited by Vampire Savior; 05-16-2019 at 08:12 AM.

It varies by publisher for me.

For DC it was the period between '85 and '95.

For Marvel it was the 70s.

For indies, it's a close call between the 80s when publishers like First and Eclipse were in their heyday and stuff like Elfquest and TMNT were up and coming, and the period between 2009 and now with the rise of new Image, stuff from IDW, Dark Horse, Oni, etc. etc.

If were talking about comic strips, then it would be the heyday of adventure strips from the late 30s to the late 40s with the likes of Raymond's Flash Gordon, Caniff's Terry and the Pirates, Tarzan, Prince Valiant, Buck Rogers, Lee Falk's Phantom, Eisner's Spirit, etc.

There's material from every decade that rises to the top, and a ton of crap from every decade (Sturgeon's law and all), and different publishers hit their stride or fall into a rut at different times, so it's hard to make an all encompassing blanket statement about favorite unless you only follow the output of one publisher exclusively.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Probably the 90's. Jurgens/Stern era Superman, Dixon on Robin and Nightwing, Waid on Flash, PAD on Young Justice and Supergirl, Marz on GL, Morrison's JLA, Starman, JSA........lot of really amazing stuff in that decade.

But I started reading in the early 90's so this was back when I wasn't as jaded and cynical and all the usual, classic comic book troupes were new to me, so it's probably not just the quality of the content but also my fresh-faced, wide-eyed innocence too.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

I find most stuff before the '80s to be pretty difficult to get into and however much I'm tempted to go for the '80s for all of its amazing comics, the '90s still wins for me. There were definitely some rough spots but DC actually largely avoided the "sub-Imagification" of the period and there was so much great stuff that came out from both their mainstream line and Vertigo/ Wildstorm.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

I'm most nostalgic about the 70s but I can't read comics from back then because the writing is so dated.

I look back on the 80s as having had the most exciting work (DKR, Watchmen, Vertigo, etc) but a lot of what I loved back then (New Teen Titans for example) I find unreadable because of the dated writing.

My favorite decade is always the current one because I want to know what happens next and, more so, because comic book writing and art gets more and more sophisticated.