Page 1 of 23 1234511 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member AnimalSquabbles's Avatar

Default Guardians of the Galaxy: Movie Discussion (SPOILERS)

Just left from the theatre a bit ago. Im not a fan of the guardians and wasnt expecting much, but i like Ronan and im a huge fan of Thanos so i had to check it out... It FAR exceeded my expectations. It might actually beat Avengers as my favorite MARVEL movie...

Spoilers

The humor was good. Rocket was perfect, Star Lord was perfect, Groot was cool. Ronan was awesome! CANT BELIEVE I JUST WATCHED THANOS ON SCREEN IN A THEATRE, SO HAPPY... That being said... He kinda looked like a fat John Lithgow .

Lots of cameos
    - Bereet from the old hulk magazine
    - Sakaarians from Planet Hulk
    - Exitar the celestial executioner
    - Cosmo
    - Howard the Duck

After credit scene was stupid
    Last edited by AnimalSquabbles; 08-01-2014 at 02:45 AM.

Might wanna try out some spoiler tags there, duder.

Fantastic Member AnimalSquabbles's Avatar

It says spoilers in the title, warning you before you even enter.

Astonishing Member

Even though I hate following multiple threads on the same subject, I though the movie was very entertaining, probably my third favorite movie of the year behind CA: TWS and DOTPOTA.

While I wish the film had 20 more minutes if just to give the villains more screen time, who by the way were handled quite a bit better than Malkeith, it was all in all a solid attempt by Marvel to expand the MCU in less terrestrial ways. I thought the film was paced fairly well. The soundtrack/score was really good, wound up being my favorite for the year. I thought all of the characters were portrayed well by their respective actors, and probably had the best dialogue of a Marvel film.

I didn't catch the Exitar cameo. The Celestial Head wasn't supposed to be Exitar, I didn't think Knowhere was Exitar (or did Exitar behead the Knowhere celestial?)

I didn't mind the after-credit. It wasn't necessary by any means, but it really is the perfect way to put in a Howard the Duck cameo, as a weird alien being in the Collector's collection. Same with Cosmo: as the security chief of Knowhere it wouldn't fit, but as a collected being, that's fun.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Taral-DLOS View Post
    I didn't catch the Exitar cameo. The Celestial Head wasn't supposed to be Exitar, I didn't think Knowhere was Exitar (or did Exitar behead the Knowhere celestial?)

I didn't mind the after-credit. It wasn't necessary by any means, but it really is the perfect way to put in a Howard the Duck cameo, as a weird alien being in the Collector's collection. Same with Cosmo: as the security chief of Knowhere it wouldn't fit, but as a collected being, that's fun.
    Exitar was shown when the Collector was talking about the Infinity Stones. It was really unexpected and increased the scale of the MU substantially.

BANNED

Nathan Fillion was supposed to be in a cameo scene but i didn't catch it. Did anyone ?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by marshal99 View Post
    Nathan Fillion was supposed to be in a cameo scene but i didn't catch it. Did anyone ?
    Apparently, he was the large alien in the prison scene who confronted Quill, although I could be guessing wrong.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ceebiro View Post
    Apparently, he was the large alien in the prison scene who confronted Quill, although I could be guessing wrong.
    Really ? That's some heavy cg which defeated the purpose of his cameo in the first place. You want people to recognise the guy , not make him unrecognisable.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by marshal99 View Post
    Really ? That's some heavy cg which defeated the purpose of his cameo in the first place. You want people to recognise the guy , not make him unrecognisable.
    I agree, but I think Gunn said that the reason they took that approach was that they'd have the option to bring him back as a different character once his Castle obligations are done.

Ultimate Member

The movie is blowing up big commercially and critically.

It had the biggest midnight opening/previews of the year.

BANNED

"They got my dick message!"

Quote Originally Posted by Ceebiro View Post
    Exitar was shown when the Collector was talking about the Infinity Stones. It was really unexpected and increased the scale of the MU substantially.
    Oh yeah! Thank you!

Other thoughts:

I felt the plot was a bit thin, but at the end it came together fairly well. The problem with any movie with this degree of scale, particularly when we've never met ANY of these characters, is that a huge amount of backstory and exposition is needed to make it work. So for the longest time I was wondering why Ronan wanted to destroy Xandar. It's clear if you pay attention, but it took me a bit longer than it probably should have.

That said, I had the same problem with Thor: The Dark World, and when I saw it a second time all of those plot issues disappeared.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Taral-DLOS View Post
    Oh yeah! Thank you!

Other thoughts:

I felt the plot was a bit thin, but at the end it came together fairly well. The problem with any movie with this degree of scale, particularly when we've never met ANY of these characters, is that a huge amount of backstory and exposition is needed to make it work. So for the longest time I was wondering why Ronan wanted to destroy Xandar. It's clear if you pay attention, but it took me a bit longer than it probably should have.

That said, I had the same problem with Thor: The Dark World, and when I saw it a second time all of those plot issues disappeared.
    The problem is , if you add in that huge amount of backstory and exposition for the characters , the movie would be 4 hours long. As it is , most of their backstories and exposition were only explained briefly at best and it's better that way. Spending half the movie on the origin and backstory would have killed the movie.

Amazing Member

Overall, I really liked it but I did have some issues. I don't think they got Gamora or Drax right. They weren't cold or deadly enough and neither Zoe nor Batista put in a great performance (in my opinion). I'm going of of the Abnett and Lanning stuff, I'm not reading Bendis's nonsense.

I actually think Peter was too goofy, but Chris Pratt completely won me over, so I don't care. Rocket a Raccoon and Groot were great and I loved the Cosmo cameo...I actually thought we might hear him speak in the after the credits scene.

The one part that really bugged me was the Nova Corps. Why have them there if they aren't actually the Nova Corps we all know and love. I thought we'd at least get a tease.
    Last edited by bossofbam; 08-01-2014 at 01:59 PM.