Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Marvel comics ending too soon!

I feel that certain comics end too soon before they have a chance too really hit their stride so in order to combat this I've decided to construct a thread hoping too stop this. Feel free too post your own thoughts for comics you think that might be ending too soon. Use it too make Adds post or link reviews anything. I'll start

New Warriors Add.jpgNew Warriors Add.jpg

Spectacular Member CyclopsWasRight's Avatar

Cat: Bird lives too long so I cancel it.

Some people are afraid Elektra may. It's not selling that great, according to posts I've read here...

@Cyclops: I don't get it.

Fantastic Member

I dont think I am getting the message

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Superior fooooeeees!
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

Astonishing Member Shinglepants's Avatar

When Elektra gets cancelled it will be a total crime. One of Marvels best books and freaking gorgeous to look at.

That said, I've basically come to terms with fact that half the books I love will end prematurely. The likes of Captain Britain & Mi-13, Doctor Voodoo, SWORD, Rucka's Punisher, Deadpool: Merc with a Mouth, Initiative, Nova, GotG etc have numbed me to the pain of future cancellations. Now I just try and enjoy the book for the short time we have it and hope one is a breakout hit that sticks around.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shinglepants View Post
    When Elektra gets cancelled it will be a total crime. One of Marvels best books and freaking gorgeous to look at.
    Agree. Elektra is usually one of the first books I read out of my stack each month on the day it comes out.

No title is safe from an eventual (and often nonsensical) relaunch for financial purposes. I fear eventually even casual readers will start to get sick of endless relaunches and in the process their characters will be ruined by it. Plus Marvel really put all their eggs in their team books and leave their solo titles alone. It can allow for awesome stories (i.e. "Thor God of Thunder") uninterrupted by events or crossovers, but as soon as sales start to dip to a level they don't like here comes a creative summit and a relaunch. It's usually a temporary shake-up that eventually fizzles.

Extraordinary Member

I fear for Captain Marvel.

BANNED

I honestly hate to see any book get cancelled, whether I read it or not. They all have their fans who will be disappointed for one thing. Then you have the creative team
    working on the book who is out a job once again. It may not be a big deal to a top-tier writer or artist, but it is income that everybody else who works on the book depends
    on. Comics are just too expensive now for readers to try all the titles they might want to, so they are picky with where to spend the money. I know price isn't an issue for
    everybody (it's not for me at all), but comics were conceived as a cheap entertainment alternative. When I started reading (and this was after 3 price increases), comics were
    .25 each. I remember how they gradually went to .30, .35, .40, .50, .60, .65, & .75 over 10 years, and once the price hit $1.00, they never looked back, and now they have priced
    the people they were originally made for right out of the market. You have people here that are lifelong fans of characters who were able to buy a stack of comics with their
    own money as kids and developed real ties to the characters. The people who will develop long-term emotional attachment to the characters are exactly the people who are
    now priced out of the hobby (during the years where they are shaping their opinion). A new reader these days is probably going to be somebody older who already has opinions about what
    they like and don't like, and is more set in his/her ways. I don't know the solution, but I do know it's a problem when something that was designed to be cheap has become expensive.
    Until somebody comes up with a better plan, most comics will have a difficult time surviving without marquee characters. There just aren't enough new long-term fans who are willing
    to spend a large portion of their income on comics.

P.S. I can't recall what issue, but in one of my .20 Marvels, Stan Lee wrote out a full page apology to the fans for the .05 increase in price, and went into detail of why they did
    it. He also apologized for the fact that they had previously gone from .12 to .15 not too long ago because he was worried about it. Now, that was a long time ago, and I know that
    prices are a lot higher for everything, but comics have a higher inflation rate than gasoline since that time, and that's just not right.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bl00dwerK View Post
    Some people are afraid Elektra may. It's not selling that great, according to posts I've read here...
    (Credit to http://comicsbeat.com/marvel-month-t...-up-the-ranks/)

152. Elektra
    ---
    04/14 Elektra #1 - 47,676 ( --- )
    05/14 Elektra #2 - 26,612 (-44.2%)
    06/14 Elektra #3 - 22,773 (-14.4%)
    07/14 Elektra #4 - 19,125 (-16.0%)

165. NEW WARRIORS
    ---
    02/14 New Warriors #1 - 45,765 ( --- )
    03/14 New Warriors #2 - 26,006 (-43.2%)
    04/14 New Warriors #3 - 23,105 (-11.2%)
    05/14 New Warriors #4 - 19,900 (-13.9%)
    06/14 New Warriors #5 - 18,576 ( -6.7%)
    06/14 New Warriors #6 - 18,156 ( -2.3%)
    07/14 New Warriors #7 - 17,304 ( -4.7%)

Elektra is actually doing worse than the New Warriors through the same point, lower selling and losing more readers per issue. It's screwed but I think it'll get its 12 issues like New Warriors did. Also, there's the off chance that digital sales somehow save it, but we'd have no way of knowing something like that.
    "If I come back from the dead one more time I'll be seriously in danger of turning into some kind of walking cliche." - Jean Grey, Uncanny X-Men #284

Quote Originally Posted by dantefrizzoli View Post
    I dont think I am getting the message
    If you mean me. It's part of a campaign to save a book I am buying. I figured everyone else might want to advertise books that they like too but are being considered for cancelation.

Marvel is actually better with this than DC. A lot of DC New52 titles were cancelled after like 8 issues.

That being said New Warriors didn't have anything actual mainstream comic readers would find appealing: No big-names, no movie tie-ins, and at the end of the day despite what Marvel/CBR wants to believe most comic readers are straight white men so "diverse" casts don't draw in as much appeal as they want it to.

Meanwhile Superior Foes got its fame and has run its course imo.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by megaharrison View Post
    Marvel is actually better with this than DC. A lot of DC New52 titles were cancelled after like 8 issues.

That being said New Warriors didn't have anything actual mainstream comic readers would find appealing: No big-names, no movie tie-ins, and at the end of the day despite what Marvel/CBR wants to believe most comic readers are straight white men so "diverse" casts don't draw in as much appeal as they want it to.

Meanwhile Superior Foes got its fame and has run its course imo.
    I say blame that on Yost. While he's a good writer, he never seemed to mix things up with the characters to get the audience noticed. While Dan Slott might not be as good as Chris Yost, he does have the talent of getting people to read his books. Thus, sales are always up, no matter how bad the story is.