Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223 LastLast

Basically a discussion on how both Marvel and DC could learn from GotG.

http://community.comicbookresources....to-do-the-same

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by R0NIN View Post
    They should introduce the Nova Corps like this....
    They established that if the gem fell to the ground it would annihilate all life on the planet, and that the gem is currently on Xandar. So in GotG 2 or a Nova movie, it would start with Thanos sending a fleet of ships to invade Xandar. During the fighting Thanos forces retrieve the gem from the safe, or it breaks open and falls to the ground, whatever, and it kills all life on Xandar. They only thing that survives is the Xandar World Mind that is a prototype intelligent A.I. that was supposed to act as an information center and dispatch for the Nova Corps. Before dying Nova Prime activate The World Mind emergency protocols recalling active Nova Corp guardsmen in the area. The World Mind then uses all of Xandar last few resources and technologies putting together the Nova Corps technology that makes the Nova Corps helmet and powers as we know them. Miniaturizing the gravimetric shield emitters that the ships used in GotG and putting them into the uniforms.
    What we saw in GotG doesnt preclude having powered Novas.

Even in the comics, the lower ranked Novas were basically dudes with jet packs and blasters. If there are powered
    Novas in the MCU, who is to say that they aren't the equivalent of Special Forces?

There wouldnt necessarily be all that many Centurions and the ones that exist would be out on the frontier.

To be honest, what we saw here actually would improve a Nova movie.

Because now the audience will care if Dey gets killed on a mission because they know from GotG he's a nice
    guy with a wife and kid at home.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    What we saw in GotG doesnt preclude having powered Novas.

Even in the comics, the lower ranked Novas were basically dudes with jet packs and blasters. If there are powered
    Novas in the MCU, who is to say that they aren't the equivalent of Special Forces?

There wouldnt necessarily be all that many Centurions and the ones that exist would be out on the frontier.

To be honest, what we saw here actually would improve a Nova movie.

Because now the audience will care if Dey gets killed on a mission because they know from GotG he's a nice
    guy with a wife and kid at home.
    Yes I'm aware of the low ranked Novas powers, but it's stretches a little past belief that if there were powered Novas NONE of them showed up to a battle on their home world. It's like attacking OA and there not being any Green Lanterns there. At this point we have to assume that the "comic" Novas we're familiar with aren't around yet.

Quote Originally Posted by THANOSRULES View Post
    or they could just hire Tony Stark? On a planet thousands of years behind them in tech capabilities?
    Yeah but as silly as that sounds it's pretty much like that in the comics too. I mean there doesn't seem to be much that Nova can do that Iron Man can't. He even build a space armor suit. So apparently it's a more a case of Stark being thousands of years ahead of his time.

Fantastic Member 50yearoldNovafan's Avatar

...but the Nova Corps look just came off as sloppy Cosplay at best...and these concept art ideas that are out seem so much better they really had some good ideas that did not make it on to screen...Reilly just looked a bit sloppy- I didn't love his character or his lines, and I am a huge fan of his. Again, Close's lines made me cringe. I'm sorry I don't know why...it just was terrible stuff with her.

...The big fact the movie had to inject so much humor and satire to the tone showed to me an underlying unease with the palatability and potential mass appeal of marvel cosmic source material. I laughed real hard a lot too...which is why I enjoyed huge chunks of it and thought it was a decent flick...however It just had some flaws that need to be pointed out and discussed IMO.
    When I saw the trailers, there were several things that made me cringe:

1. Peter Quill, goofy
    2. Glenn Close, how she looked and delivered lines "send in the Guardians"
    3. John C. Reilly as Rhoman Dey

I really really enjoyed the movie. My boss, who did not want to see this one, but saw all the other Marvel movies, needed some convincing. He went and saw the movie and enjoyed it. He said it was fun. He was surprised, because the trailers were so cheesy.

I was okay with the Corps not being powered, yet. And even though I was not a huge fan of their uniforms, they were okay. What I hated was, none of the Corpsmen did anything with their suits oar wrist rockets. I would have been really excited seeing them standing on the ground blasting into the sky with their rockets and guns. That's is all it would have taken. But instead, they stood around like mannequins, just as an homage to the Corps.

To me, Glenn Close made the movie look more "campy" and John C. Reilly was there to remind us that Gunn is more into the comedy of things. Reilly definitely was not necessary. Show why he is a leader of the Corps. Have him walk down a hallway, grab his helmet and rally his troops to fight. He good have stood on the ground and blasted into the sky at the invading ships. This would have shown him as a warrior. Show that he and the Corpsmen are their, in those armored suits, for a reason. The only named Corpsman who acquitted himself well was Garthan Saal.

The reason there was so much humor in the movie was, that is who Gunn is. Marvel knew that when they hired him. So I do not think unease had anything to do with that.

Again, not a perfect movie. With tweaks to the Corps that I have mentioned, I would have passed out from joygasm. And if Quill had been more snarky than goofy, that would have made it better. And Gamora could have been more scary and a bit bigger or more "Amazon" (one of you suggested Paula Patton, OH YEAH)!

BUT I STILL TRULY ENJOYED THE MOVIE! I saw it twice (had to convince my wife it was good). It was absolutely stunning in imax 3d. It was fun. And it was cosmic.

Fantastic Member 50yearoldNovafan's Avatar

Yes I'm aware of the low ranked Novas powers, but it's stretches a little past belief that if there were powered Novas NONE of them showed up to a battle on their home world. It's like attacking OA and there not being any Green Lanterns there. At this point we have to assume that the "comic" Novas we're familiar with aren't around yet.
    There is a precedent with this in Marvel. I said the exact same thing when Richard Rider, Nova Prime, from Earth, did not show up on the front lines to protect Earth from the Skrulls in Secret Invasion.

trev,

do you remember this character Kika from Giffen? Wonder if she was the inspiration of the magenta skinned race?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Trevel8182 View Post
    -Why does Rhomann Dey have a pink wife and kid? He's suppose to be this arbiter to Rider of all things Xandarian and having an non Xandarian wife and child is find kinda off putting...
    Um... who said they're not Xandarian? I mean, I'm an Earthling, and yet I see all kinds of other Earthlings with differently colored skin. And even if they're not from the planet Xandar itself, given that Xandar is this intergalactic federation, they may still very well be considered "Xandarian."

Incredible Member

But always an honor obsessed loyal dog of the Kree Empire who would never work for Thanos willingly or have such overtly nefarious intentions.
    If he felt like he had no other options, he might. That is something I wish they'd have introduced in the film; it would have lent a lot more weight to Ronan's defiance of Thanos once he got his hands on the Power Stone.

BANNED

Yes I'm aware of the low ranked Novas powers, but it's stretches a little past belief that if there were powered Novas NONE of them showed up to a battle on their home world.
    Depends on how powered they are, and how far away the frontier is. Powered NOVA might be great against individuals, but not so great against starships (whereas fighters are equipped for it).

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by 50yearoldNovafan View Post
    To me, Glenn Close made the movie look more "campy" and John C. Reilly was there to remind us that Gunn is more into the comedy of things. Reilly definitely was not necessary. Show why he is a leader of the Corps. Have him walk down a hallway, grab his helmet and rally his troops to fight. He good have stood on the ground and blasted into the sky at the invading ships. This would have shown him as a warrior. Show that he and the Corpsmen are their, in those armored suits, for a reason. The only named Corpsman who acquitted himself well was Garthan Saal.
    The first time I saw the movie, I didn't like Reilly. But after seeing the beginning again and seeing all the bystanders Rocket was complaining about, it looks like a city of imperfect... semi-normal people. Why shouldn't a Nova corpsman look like John C. Reilly. Not everybody is going to be a "pretty-face", especially law enforcement.

Well I had a funny gif but it wasn't working
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by RCX View Post
    Did anyone else notice that there was a guy that looked just like Adam Warlocke in one of the Collector's tube?
    I noticed it. Right behind the Collector when they're introduced to him. Reassured I wasn't the only one, but surprised nobody else has mentioned it. Sure looked like a gold- or yellow-skinned guy in a red cape.

Would be nice to get some confirmation, but all my searches bring up are people talking about the cocoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhudrew View Post
    Um... who said they're not Xandarian? I mean, I'm an Earthling, and yet I see all kinds of other Earthlings with differently colored skin. And even if they're not from the planet Xandar itself, given that Xandar is this intergalactic federation, they may still very well be considered "Xandarian."
    The pink people are Krylorians, I'm talking about Natives from the planet Xandar who are fully genetically Xandarians. If you where to create a "it's a small world after all attraction" you wouldn't have the guy who's suppose to be the representative of Ireland be a Half Jewish/Half Asian Rastafarian too represent your country. Anyway it doesn't really bother me much anymore, that was really just my knee jerk thought during that scene. They could just use Adora Dey as that pure Xandarian arbiter, and use Rhomann's family like they use Superman's parents when the destruction Krypton happens or this little boy from Mass Effect.

trev,

do you remember this character Kika from Giffen? Wonder if she was the inspiration of the magenta skinned race?

Nice catch T! I love how much they took from Giffens Thanos and Annihilation Conquest mini series!