Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Avenger JD View Post
    How does Thanos look anything like Darkseid?
    I can't really explain it, it's just as soon as I saw him, he looked like a purple darkseid. That's where my mind went.

I loved the movie. My standing best compliment is that I picked up the DnA Ultimate Collection TPB and Bendis Cosmic Avengers TPB after the movie. I never thought that would happen. I don't have much qualms in regards to the characters because I hadn't read them much. (Ronan did seem a bit more generic than the few times I've read him though). I wish the book was as humorous as the movie, but I'm enjoying the read so far. Cosmo was great cameo, however the post credit scene was one of the worst I've seen. Rocket and Groot were the real stand outs of the movie and Gamora was the weakest link. As many of said before she did not feel like the deadliest assassin. This movie didn't have a lot of depth but it more than made up for it in charm, humor, and passion. It was well paced and another example of a great team ensemble movie done right. I can see the continuity in the Marvel Movieverse getting a bit too complicated the more characters we had and the more the movies tie together. Its not a problem now, nor for me as a comic fan anyways, but I can see it becoming an issue down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    I can't really explain it, it's just as soon as I saw him, he looked like a purple darkseid. That's where my mind went.
    I see it too. But tons of Marvel and DC characters are similar and rips from one another. Its no big thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    He wasn't a BAD villain, certainly not like Malekith. It's just that underwhelming villains have been a consistent flaw in these movie. Ronan is actually quite a complicated character in the comics, and they could have played with that in this movie. But instead they made him just a generic genocidal lunatic. Frankly I found Nebula to be much more interesting than him.
    I didn't think Nebula did anything but be an angry kidna sister and getting blasted by Drax.

You can only do so much with a villain when you are introducing 5 new heroes all at the same time. You could argue then that they should have used a different villain I guess though.

I guess I don't get the underwhealming villain stuff. The only villains I have found underwhelming on the Marvel side were Whiplahs (who just sucks anyway) and Malekith. But then again, Bane/Talia were underwhelming, Paralax was a joke, Zod was as generic and stupid as any other villain. I think deep, complex, comic book villains is just a hard thing to do, without taking too much time away from the hero
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

This movie was so good. Great casting, great character details, awesome Easter eggs to Marvel fans... Shout outs to other Marvel films. Marvel is writing the rules on how to do comic book movies.

The Star Trek and Star Wars franchises could learn something!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    I didn't think Nebula did anything but be an angry kidna sister and getting blasted by Drax.

You can only do so much with a villain when you are introducing 5 new heroes all at the same time. You could argue then that they should have used a different villain I guess though.

I guess I don't get the underwhealming villain stuff. The only villains I have found underwhelming on the Marvel side were Whiplahs (who just sucks anyway) and Malekith. But then again, Bane/Talia were underwhelming, Paralax was a joke, Zod was as generic and stupid as any other villain. I think deep, complex, comic book villains is just a hard thing to do, without taking too much time away from the hero
    No, Zod was actually quite interesting and not at all "stupid." Bane was cool, and they've already done interesting villains with Loki and Alexander Pierce. It's just that the villains come across as an afterthought in these movie. And I said that I found Nebula more interesting, it had nothing to do with what she actually did. There's a whole sordid backstory between her, Gamora, and Thanos that I'd be really interested to see. And her hatred made much more sense, it wasn't just "I'm a lunatic." And you're right, this character shouldn't have been Ronan. Ronan isn't this generic/simple. But the villains are my only real complaint about the movie, and I didn't HATE them. Otherwise, the film was awesome.

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

Anybody that says you have to build up slowly to a JLA movie is wrong. Audiences can take a ton of heroes on screen without having to watch 10 hours of origin stories. Drax has a backstory that could be his own film.

I was disappointed in the after credits scene with Howard.Otherwise I was impressed with the movie.I really dug the music,and will check out the soundtrack on this.

Fantastic Member

I just returned and that was really good. I thi k anybody looking for seriousness and deep villains is missing the point. There were two little kids next to me and they loved it. It was meant to be off the wall fun with a lot of heart and warmth mixed in. I had a great time watching.

BANNED

I'm not sure how much depth Ronan had, but I liked what they showed. A Kree patriot who refused to simply forget years and years of war and the lives lost -- at least on his side -- just because of a peace treaty. And that translated into vengeful justice. Guy can hold a grudge.

Rest of the movie was just fantastic. If and when Marvel sells a spoilers:
    motorized Flowerpot Groot that dances to music, I'll be the first person in line.
    end of spoilers

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by cyberhubbs View Post
    I'm not sure how much depth Ronan had, but I liked what they showed. A Kree patriot who refused to simply forget years and years of war and the lives lost -- at least on his side -- just because of a peace treaty. And that translated into vengeful justice. Guy can hold a grudge.

Rest of the movie was just fantastic. If and when Marvel sells a spoilers:
    motorized Flowerpot Groot that dances to music, I'll be the first person in line.
    end of spoilers
    "Patriot." More like "fanatic/lunatic." A true patriot would have accepted piece after a MILLENIA of war instead of pointlessly continuing the slaughter.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by chaosfist View Post
    I thi k anybody looking for seriousness and deep villains is missing the point. There were two little kids next to me and they loved it.
    My sympathies.

I understand and accept that GOTG is supposed to be pure entertainment. I just wish they had used someone else as the throwaway villain.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    "Patriot." More like "fanatic/lunatic." A true patriot would have accepted piece after a MILLENIA of war instead of pointlessly continuing the slaughter.
    You say tomato, he says tomahto. That was the point.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    Bereet, the red girl in Quill's ship, is from Rampaging Hulk stories (out of continuity), and appeared later in the Eighties in-continuity.
    Well that would explain some things in the beginning of the film, but I never did catch the Planet Hulk cameo of the Sakaarans ?

Fantastic Member AnimalSquabbles's Avatar

I think they dropped the ball by showing Howard instead of introducing Warlock, considering that Warlocks cocoon was in the collectors collection in Thor 2.