Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by klinton View Post
    I'm kind of in shock that people liked this. This film is pretty much the embodiment of what I feared the Marvel 'cinematic universe' would become.

The 'defeat Ronan with dancing' actually had me ready to up and leave the theater in a fit, after gritting my teeth through all sorts of travesties heaped on Marvel's esteemed galactic fare. The Nova Corps were an absolute insult.

This was rubbish, through and through. I'm sure it's a lovely kids film for families to enjoy. It is a full BS excuse for a 'Guardians of the Galaxy' film though.
    Tell us how you really feel? Don't worry Interstellar is coming out in a few short months, it should satisfy the space nerd in people who didn't like GoTG, and the Space nerds (like me) that did.

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    "Esteemed galactic fare," oh please. You mean DnA's stuff, because apparently they really liked the movie, as did Jim Starlin. And they didn't defeat him with dancing, it was a distraction, nothing more. They actually defeated him in a much more badass way. So forgive me if I take the word of the guys who were responsible for that "esteemed galactic fare" over yours ok.
    If by 'more bad ass' you mean 'contrived need to bond as a team to weild the gem (when mere mortals have wielded the entire gauntlet without any harm, many times)', then sure, let's go with that.

The entire movie was rubbish, save for some cute ass sh*t from Groot. He was great.
    Freedom is the ability to live without fear of persecution.

Quote Originally Posted by Tazirai View Post
    Tell us how you really feel? Don't worry Interstellar is coming out in a few short months, it should satisfy the space nerd in people who didn't like GoTG, and the Space nerds (like me) that did.
    I just hope this sort of irreverance doesn't bleed into the other franchises, you know?

If they're insistent on sh*tting all over the GotG (in the comics and on screen), so be it. As long as this doesn't become a 'thing' for Marvel. There was literally nothing on that screen that reflected the spirit of the source material. /shrug.
    Freedom is the ability to live without fear of persecution.

Fantastic Member 50yearoldNovafan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    No, Zod was actually quite interesting and not at all "stupid." Bane was cool, and they've already done interesting villains with Loki and Alexander Pierce. It's just that the villains come across as an afterthought in these movie. And I said that I found Nebula more interesting, it had nothing to do with what she actually did. There's a whole sordid backstory between her, Gamora, and Thanos that I'd be really interested to see. And her hatred made much more sense, it wasn't just "I'm a lunatic." And you're right, this character shouldn't have been Ronan. Ronan isn't this generic/simple. But the villains are my only real complaint about the movie, and I didn't HATE them. Otherwise, the film was awesome.
    You know what killed Bane for me - THAT VOICE WAS HORRIBLE! I like Tom Hardy, a lot. And I have heard him use a far more menacing voice than that in all his other movies. So why did DC go with a voice like that for Bain? That took me right out of the feel of the movie.

Spectacular Member

Loved the movie. Will be seeing it again. Lots of fun.

I thought it was great. I like that it was firmly a Marvel movie, yet at the same time could really stand on on own as if it wasn't. Its was a different kind of Marvel movie. Showing a different side of Marvel.

BANNED

While I might have enjoyed something closer to Giffen's Star-Lord: Conquest storyline, it probably wouldn't have been as funny. The MCU has always done its own twist anyway.

And who doesn't like a dance-off?

Quote Originally Posted by klinton View Post
    If by 'more bad ass' you mean 'contrived need to bond as a team to weild the gem (when mere mortals have wielded the entire gauntlet without any harm, many times)', then sure, let's go with that.
    No mere mortal has wield any of the gyms IN THE MOVIE VERSE.

Fury with gloves touched the tesseract and that was the closest. Skull was teleported away by the Tesseract when he held it. The Aether was killing Jane Foster. That pink girl exploded when she touched it. It would have killed Quill, Gamora, and Drax... and Quill is only half human.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Amazing Member Friendly Belligerent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    No mere mortal has wield any of the gyms IN THE MOVIE VERSE.

Fury with gloves touched the tesseract and that was the closest. Skull was teleported away by the Tesseract when he held it. The Aether was killing Jane Foster. That pink girl exploded when she touched it. It would have killed Quill, Gamora, and Drax... and Quill is only half human.
    Here's something I rarely see considered and acknowledged, but... isn't the Loki staff gem pretty obviously the mind or soul gem? The one in Guardians seemed pretty obviously to be the time gem. The tesseract... dunno, space?

Soul Green Allows the user to steal, control, manipulate and alter souls, living or dead, and is the gateway to an idyllic pocket universe. The Soul Gem is sentient and has a hunger for souls.

Time Orange Allows the user total control over the past, present and future. Allows time travel, can age and de-age beings and also be used as a weapon by trapping enemies or entire universes in unending loops of time. Also at full potential grants Omniscience.

Space Purple Allows the user to exist in any or all locations, move any object anywhere throughout reality and warp or rearrange space. At full potential it grants Omnipresence.

Mind Blue Allows the user to greatly strengthen and enhance mental and psionic power and access the thoughts and dreams of other beings. Backed by the Power Gem, the Mind Gem can access all minds in existence simultaneously.

Reality Yellow Allows the user to fulfill wishes, even if the wish is in direct contradiction with scientific laws. Occasionally stated to be the most 'dangerous' of the Gems if wielded without the other Gems to keep its reality-altering powers from accidentally surging out of control.

Power Red Accesses all power and energy that ever has or will exist, and can boost the other gems' effects. Allows the user to duplicate almost any physical superhuman ability and grants Omnipotence.

Now, I know the movie universe is blending together the gems with other deus ex machina from the comics, so we can't rely on the color of the gem to matter, at least not until the end of the storyline where they all become recognizable (ostensibly).

Loki can't control minds, and the staff is coming back in Avengers 2. Hydra has it. As far as I'm aware, nobody from Marvel studios ever confirmed or denied the actual identity of the gems outside of the actual written story. Is there any reason to believe the staff is not a fourth gem? That would only leave two, but they're pretty well scattered and we JUST got the first backstory to them in this movie.

What would you identify the cube and the aether as?

EDITED: Just read online that Feige confirmed the cube as the space gem.
    Last edited by Friendly Belligerent; 08-02-2014 at 07:30 AM.

Amazing Member Friendly Belligerent's Avatar

Who were the hooded characters in the gem monologue? I've been reading comics my whole life, but all I could come up with was... Infinity Watch? Elders of the Universe, such as the Collector and his peers?

Ultimate Member

No, Loki's scepter is not a gem:

1. It'd make no sense for Thanos to give Loki, someone who's clearly not trustworthy, one of the gems, that he wants to acquire, just to acquire another one of them.

2. It was stated in the Avengers that the scepter was powered by part of the Tesseract's energy.

It seems like the three confirmed gems so far are:

1. The Tesseract-Probably the Space Gem.

2. The Orb-Probably the Power Gem.

3. The Aether-Possibly the Reality Gem.

Did anyone else notice that there was a guy that looked just like Adam Warlocke in one of the Collector's tube?

There was a cocoon on Thor 2, so I can only assume that in Guardians of the Galaxy, Warlocke poped out.