Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    Powered By Gravity

I really loved this movie! It was fun, hilarious, had heart, and was pure entertainment. I enjoyed each of the characters. I don't think that I would have guessed Bradley Cooper was the voice of Rocket unless I already knew. He did a great job. Everyone did.

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

I wasn't expecting a comedy, and a comedy that good. Marvels cosmic stuff, especially the Starlin stuff was for mature readers. Arguably the DNA stuff too.

Still, they are Disney movies. Family stuff, despite the deaths and black light jokes. I feel like Disney Marvel has done a nice job of putting Code Friendly Comics movies on screen. They are doing a nice job of blending sliver, bronze, and modern comics.

That leaves DC with a more Vertigo type of approach.

Amazing Member Friendly Belligerent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    No, Loki's scepter is not a gem:

1. It'd make no sense for Thanos to give Loki, someone who's clearly not trustworthy, one of the gems, that he wants to acquire, just to acquire another one of them.

2. It was stated in the Avengers that the scepter was powered by part of the Tesseract's energy.

It seems like the three confirmed gems so far are:

1. The Tesseract-Probably the Space Gem.

2. The Orb-Probably the Power Gem.

3. The Aether-Possibly the Reality Gem.
    I had recognized the problem of Thanos handing out a potential gem, but just dismissed it as arrogance.

I'm going with

1. The Tesseract - Probably the Space Gem. Agreed.

2. The Orb-Probably the Power Gem. Time. Because everything slowed down, and people aged to dust.

3. The Aether-Possibly the Reality Gem. I don't remember the effects. I considered power cause it just seemed like energy.

Amazing Member Friendly Belligerent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skyjumpermike View Post
    I hope this post gets you the attention you are screaming for.
    Ignore user works. 10/10 can confirm.

I really don't think they are matching the comic infinity gyms with the movie verse infinity stones

I think ti is just fan fun trying to match them up.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

BANNED

http://drzblog.tumblr.com/post/93608...y-movie-review

The Guardians of the Galaxy is the 10th movie from the ever growing imperium of Marvel Studios. Written & directed by James Gunn with Nicole Perlman as co-writer. It’s based off the comic title of the same name, by the work of Dan Abnett & Andy Lanning from their 2008-2010 run.

Star-Lord (Chris Pratt) is the legendary Outlaw, or is he? Paired with misfits like the bounty hunters Rocket Raccoon & Groot (Bradley Cooper & Vin Diesel), Drax the Destroyer (Dave Bautista) & the assassin Gamora (Zoe Saldana), you have a group of outlaws becoming the heroes.

Each character gets defined; with moments to shine, hilarious jokes, background development & setting up for a characterization arc. You’ll relate to these characters because the actors deliver solid performances. Vin Diesel has a single line to say, but he delivers those lines perfectly with each given scene, added with awesome moments, making him an audience favorite. Bradley Cooper & the CGI-animation on our furry little friend Rocket gets the most devilish grin on an adorable raccoon ever. You’ll just love to see the mayhem he creates & giving Boba Fett the run for his money.
    Drax the Destroyer, who begins as a slight bore, gains impeccable character growth, which will lead to more spacious intriguing character arcs, I wish would have had a better fight choreographer for Dave Bautista’s hand to hand combat scenes, but Drax definitely gets one of the best laugh out moments of the movie.

Gamora is a slight disappointment, from the world’s most dangerous woman; she suffers heavily under women in distress tropes & gets rescued too many times by our leading male hero. Luckily, these little nuisances are forgettable at the end of its day. You’re just here to laugh, don’t take this film too serious from its basic script.
    Chris Pratt, our main hero who hasn’t act as lead in blockbuster movies before, nails it. Charismatic & is a genuine heartfelt dick-head, who was trained in the art of douché by Yondu (played by your favorite thug Michael Rooker). Star-Lord is freaking awesome, his combat style is both clever & fun to watch. He’s definitely up there with Robert Downey Junior when it comes to charm levels.

With the only memory left of Earth is his Mother & a Sony Walkman with his personal mix tape of Awesomeness, James Gunn enhances the movie with pop culture sweetening jokes and great bits of musical blast from the past. Puma Swede, Michael Jackson & the Jackson Five, David Bowie, Redbone, it’s just so beautiful.

Story motivated by a magical MacGuffin, another Infinity Stone to build up the ongoing story of Marvel Cinematic Universe, with yet another one-dimensional villains to oppose our heroes; Ronan the Accuser (Lee Pace), & his acolytes Nebula (Karen Gillan) & Korath (Djimon Hounsou) but look. You’re not here to care about the most basic adventure to save the world plot from more one-note villains Marvel is duking out. You’re here to experience cinema! You’re here to laugh, cheer & fell in love with each of these a-holes.
    The Guardians of the Galaxy will return & so we will us.

PS. Hey kids! Did anyone notice Lloyd Kaffman had a cameo in this movie?!

Best marvel movie to date. Right balance of comedy and seriousness, felt like a lot of fun. Felt like how the Star Wars prequels should have felt.....

And I despise stupid comedy in comic films, IM3 was a straight-up comedy and I hated it. But I had no issue with the lightheartedness of this movie because again it had drama and blended it well. They didn't defeat Ronan with dancing, they killed him with an Infinity Gem in a rather badass moment. The villain in IM3 was defeated in a comedic moment, Ronan was not.

Lastly, I was thrilled they didn't make this movie earth-centric. Bendis and Marvel have made the GOTG into visiting Earth and interacting with Avengers every other issue. Yet this movie, the movie that inspired all the recent chances to the GOTG comics, did not make Earth relevant to anything at all. I was impressed.

Now for my complaints, it was not perfect even though I liked it:

-Gamora was much less fearsome than she is in the comics
    -They made Drax out to be an idiot
    -The reason behind Quill's abduction was very weak and poorly explained
    -The post-credits scenes (both of them) were useless. Marvel has always made post-credit scenes worth it, this was not. I don't care about dancing baby groot and howard the duck. I would have been fine with these scenes in the movie itself, but not sitting through credits for them.
    -The scene with The Collector really didn't feel necessary for the plot and was just kind of thrown in there. I was expecting Collector to be relevant to GOTG after the Thor Dark World after credit scene.
    -Nova Corps were dumb fodder
    -Not enough Thanos (though that was intentional....)
    Last edited by megaharrison; 08-02-2014 at 01:55 PM.

I need a Walkman. And a recorder. And some blank cassettes. Thanks GotG for bringing back the mix tape.
    GLORIOUS!

A Green Unpleasant Man Rob London's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhudrew View Post
    Based on the helmet, I thought it looked more like Arishem the Judge.
    I think it was Eson, the Searcher.

I really liked it, not my favorite marvel movie ever but still very good and a must watch. Really thought the cast had great chemistry together and would definitely like a sequel.

I would say don't bother staying through the credits, just catch it on youtube. It's cute but is not a plot point going forward...I hope.

I have to say, I enjoyed this film a lot more than I thought I would. Everything worked well, from the pacing to the action scenes, the set and costume designs, the casting and the acting....all in all, a damn fine slice of cinema. Of course, Im not overly knowledgeable about the GotG franchise anyway so whatever character/concept assassinations there were, I either didnt notice or didnt care. The humor was actually funny and the soundtrack was brilliant.

So, a few minor nitpicks.

Ronan should not have been the villain here. This feels to me a lot more like Yon-Rogg; the "insane, old-school supremacist" type Kree, less than Ronan, "the (mostly) loyal Accuser". And it's a shame that Ronan died, now we'll never get to see his character properly fleshed out and explored. I maintain hope that we'll see a Captain Marvel film at some point in Phase 4, and Ronan would have been nice there. Oh well.

Zoe Saldena was poorly cast for Gamora. She's just too soft to be the most dangerous woman in the galaxy. She did well enough I suppose, but she was certainly the weak link and the script didnt help her with this either. I also found the Star-Lord/Gamora budding romance a shame; its a bad cliche and it felt completely shoe-horned.

The Nova Corps lacked that empowered space-cop vibe and just felt like a generic sci-fi military. For the purposes of this particular film it's not a big thing at all and it works fine, but for those of us hoping to see John C. Reilly deputize Richard Ryder, the Corps is left wanting. However, its possible the entire Corps is still powered by the Worldmind, and if all that power ended up with one single recruit....well, the Nova franchise is still very much workable and salvageable, let's just leave it at that.

I thought Rocket and Groot and Quill were pitch perfect, and I ended up really enjoying Drax by the end of things. Nebula was well handled, with hints of a deeper character and her and Gamora's experiences might still pay off in the larger Thanos plotline as we learn more about the Mad Titan and his supporting cast.

The plotline was simple enough and Ronan was fairly one-dimensional, but neither of these things bothered me too much (beyond the fact that Ronan is too rich a character to waste). The plot was lots of fun and Ronan was still a badass and looked cool. Marvel rarely has a strong plot to their films and the villains are always just external metaphors for the hero's inner conflicts anyway, and are rarely worth anything in and of themselves. So given those low standards, GotG still shines.

My seven year old son loved this movie, and I felt comfortable with him watching it. The more adult humor went over his head completely, and he hasnt shut up about dancing baby Groot since we got home.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

just got back from the theaters and all the family like it. Even my twins girl (8 years old) who never like others super-heroes film.

My only regret ... Yondu what have they done to him ? he should have been more like the aliens in Avatar not a "ravagers"

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by 50yearoldNovafan View Post
    You know what killed Bane for me - THAT VOICE WAS HORRIBLE! I like Tom Hardy, a lot. And I have heard him use a far more menacing voice than that in all his other movies. So why did DC go with a voice like that for Bain? That took me right out of the feel of the movie.
    Best part of The Dark Knight Rises?

"Of COOOOUUUUURSE!"

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    My seven year old son loved this movie, and I felt comfortable with him watching it. The more adult humor went over his head completely, and he hasnt shut up about dancing baby Groot since we got home.
    BB

I loved everything about this movie. It was pure fun and hit every emotion.
    Age of Marvels and DC Next Dawn - Monthly Fan Made Solicitation Competitions on these very forums, make your pulls now! Want back story? Check the Wiki!