Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Hope they keep the introduction of new characters to a minimum in the sequel, Cosmo & Warlock would be enough. Too much exposition and backstory would kill the momentum of the story which is why it worked fine in this movie since they kept all those very brief.

Last edited by marshal99; 08-02-2014 at 07:46 PM.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    Saw the movie on opening night. Thought it was very good. Probably 7 or 8 out of 10. I’d place it right under Iron Man (the first one) and Incredible Hulk. There were, however, things I didn’t care for and I will list them, as things I don’t like seem to stick in my mind more than things I do.
    Just to address a couple of your points:

-Drax being an alien all of a sudden. Who takes everything literally.
    They can still have Drax's original origin by expanding his origin in a sequel. They just have to say that when his Spirit was taken and put into a stronger body, it got put into the body of a member of the Literal speaking race.

-Ronan being the killer of Drax’s family instead of Thanos
    They addressed this in the movie. At the end (Spoiler, Highlight to read) Gamora makes a comment about how his family has been Avenged now that Ronan is dead, and he basically says that as Ronan was a puppet and Thanos the Puppetmaster, his family won't be at peace until Thanos is dead.

-Changing Peter’s mother’s cause of death to cancer instead of aliens
    This was done for time I think. Putting her into a hospital bed caused the audience to immediately understand she was dying whereas having an Alien kill her would have required setup as to why and how said Alien was in a position to kill her. They can easily introduce the plot point later that her sickness (which I don't think was explicitly stated to be Cancer) was the way the Alien killed her if they want to explore his comic book origin.

-How there was hardly any Thanos
    Ultimately, Thanos wasn't the bad guy of this film. If they had stuck him in the movie too much, it would have started begging the question for the lay viewer of why the Guardians aren't fighting him as the final boss of the film.

Quote Originally Posted by DemonRin View Post
    They can still have Drax's original origin by expanding his origin in a sequel. They just have to say that when his Spirit was taken and put into a stronger body, it got put into the body of a member of the Literal speaking race.
    I really hope they don't. That origin is really dated and convoluted in my opinion. I much prefer him just being an alien.
    Age of Marvels and DC Next Dawn - Monthly Fan Made Solicitation Competitions on these very forums, make your pulls now! Want back story? Check the Wiki!

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rob London View Post
    I think it was Eson, the Searcher.
    After rewatching it, I think you're right. He had the 6 "eyeballs" on the helmet, rather than the "eyelines" like I originally thought I saw. Good catch!

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Friendly Belligerent View Post
    Now, I know I had this discussion several years back, but who is Thanos' cage face lackey? I thought I knew who he was but he's dead now, and in the comics Thanos has new henchmen. What do you guys think?
    He's brand new to the movies (Avengers, originally). Thanos has never had a henchman like that in the comics.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Man this film was perfect for me. I love STAR LORD. I'm such a fan of space heroes (duh) and this was everything I wanted. Cutting loose in space without any Earth crap. So good.

I loved Rocket the best, I guess. "Rocket, stop it, you're drunk" was my favorite line.

Anyone else notice how badly this movie wanted to use the F word, but didn't? I was also really expecting "Yeah like you said b*tch, we're the Guardians of the effin Galaxy"

This is a movie. Different universe, different rules.

They addressed this in the movie. At the end (Spoiler, Highlight to read) Gamora makes a comment about how his family has been Avenged now that Ronan is dead, and he basically says that as Ronan was a puppet and Thanos the Puppetmaster, his family won't be at peace until Thanos is dead.
    I know. But it still drastically changes Ronan's character and 86s any sympathy he could be given. I was hopeful when he said that he didn't remember Drax's family. But then he did.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

All-New Member

You know, I was just discussing the GotG movie in another thread, and something that was bugging me but I couldn't put my finger on just came to me.

It would have been neat if, at one point for example, Star Lord's earpiece (the one that turns into his helmet) falls off and suddenly he can't understand what anyone is saying. It was weird to me that all these space aliens were apparently speaking Space English. Would have been nice to give us a storytelling device to show us that the English was for our benefit as viewers, and that English ISN'T the galactic-standard language apparently.

It works in a universe like Star Wars because it's not supposed to be set in the same place as Earth, so you can kinda accept that the Humans of this Universe speak English... but we know for a fact that GotG takes place in the same Universe as all the other Marvel films... so why do the aliens ALL speak English... not a single Alien race appeared to NOT be speaking English...
    According to James Gunn, Peter Quill has a universal translation implant/Device. He Said it was Visible sometimes but Im not sure exactly when...he went on to say that all the characters have various Implants and devices.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Anyone else notice how badly this movie wanted to use the F word, but didn't? I was also really expecting "Yeah like you said b*tch, we're the Guardians of the effin Galaxy"
    They probably didn't want to have to slap on R-rating on it. That would lose a lot of younger viewers.
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

"What can I say? I guess I outgrew maturity.." - Bob Chipman

I have to say that one thing this movie makes it hard to do is make a Nova movie. It wouldn't matter if it was Richard or Sam because the MCU version of the Corps isn't a group of people connected to the Nova force flying through space but literal space cops.

What would it look like, Richard or Sam find a crash landed Nova ship on earth and fly off trying to be heroes not knowing they are impersonating an interstellar officer. That sounds like it would be the movie Let's be Cops(which is not out yet) except set in space.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

I would rather see a Nova movie than a Howard the Duck movie.
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

"What can I say? I guess I outgrew maturity.." - Bob Chipman

Quote Originally Posted by marshal99 View Post
    Hope they keep the introduction of new characters to a minimum in the sequel, Cosmo & Warlock would be enough. Too much exposition and backstory would kill the momentum of the story which is why it worked fine in this movie since they kept all those very brief.
    I would be 100% happy with no new team members and just learning a bit more about each characters background throughout the second film.

Especially Drax and Groot. I feel like we know enough about Gamora (Thanos killed her people, adopted her, trained/tortured her into an assassin) and Rocket (created illegally through torture and experiments) and a decent amount Quill (half human, picked up by pirates but not delivered, trained to be a pirate/robber but has a heart of gold)

But Groot? All I know about Groot is that he is rare (the Collector wanted him), seems like a really nice guy/tree monster, and is good friends with Rocket. Is he the last of his kind? How did he meet Rocket? How did someone with a heart of gold end up being a Bounty hunter with Rocket?

And Drax... family slaughtered, takes thigns literally, seems to have super strength/speed ect. Is his race naturally quick to anger or is that due to his vengeance? Are they generally peaceful or war mongering? Are they all as trained as him or did he do that to himself after losing his family? What do those markings mean if anything?
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by Pharozonk View Post
    I would rather see a Nova movie than a Howard the Duck movie.
    To late for that.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howard_the_Duck_(film)
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

I'm not hung up on the dog-- I thought it was "Laika" or something-- but in reading about it-- no, I'm not interested in a hyper-telepath dog in a cosmonaut uniform.

Maybe the epilogue for part 2 can have Rocket, Groot and Howard playing cards.

I don't especially want to see a super-powered Nova Guard. John C Reilly and Glenn Close flying around blasting folks, um, nah. If and when the movies want to develop Rich Ryder or Sam Alexander, fine. But if "Everybody" has those powers, well....
    Last edited by Hypestyle; 08-03-2014 at 08:52 AM.