Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Default The Origin of the Joker

JointPics_20190516_053813.jpg

What do you consider the origin of the Joker you know?

These four are mine.

Quote Originally Posted by boltmonster View Post

These four are mine.
    What are the two stories on the right?

My personal favorite origin is the Red Hood portion of Zero Year, frankly I consider that an underappreciated classic. If the Joker has a start, that is it. I do love The Killing Joke however even if it isn't my preferred Joker origin, and The Man Who Laughs is a great first non-Red Hood appearance.

I'm also eagerly anticipating the upcoming Joker movie in October, it looks like it will be quite the impressive film!

Quote Originally Posted by boltmonster View Post

These four are mine.
    They are not really origin stories. The Joker's true origin is unknown.

If I had to pick a favorit Joker story, I'd go with Brian Azzarello' s graphic novel Joker.

The Killing Joke is all that's needed.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

Quote Originally Posted by SixSpeedSamurai View Post
    Maybe all that's needed, but certainly not all you can do. I like having different takes and stories, some of them are really good.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Maybe all that's needed, but certainly not all you can do. I like having different takes and stories, some of them are really good.
    I'm not discouraging anyone from reading, I've read many, I just consider The Killing Joke to be definitive Joker origin.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.

Fantastic Member MarkRodriguez09's Avatar

IDK... I mean the movie looks ok but not a fan of the Party City clown look. Hope the movie ends with the acid bath. As horrible as Jared Leto's Hot Topic Joker was at least they got that part right.

As for my origin of choice, Killing Joke of course.
    Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
    I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRodriguez09 View Post
    IDK... I mean the movie looks ok but not a fan of the Party City clown look. Hope the movie ends with the acid bath. As horrible as Jared Leto's Hot Topic Joker was at least they got that part right.

Technically it's a chemical bath, not an acid one. Acid wouldn't make him chalk white so much as red and messy...

Quote Originally Posted by SixSpeedSamurai View Post
    Question, what to you find so great in this Story ?
    Because I find it very dull and overated.

Is it because it's by Alan Moore that people sayd it was excellently awsome. Then everyone suggested it to everyone saying it's the best. Then you believed it's the best. Even if it isn't the best you still thing it's the best ?

The Man Who Laughs for exemple is way better. But because it's not by Alan Moore, I thing very few people have read it and can't compare something of quality against Moore's story.
    Last edited by jb681131; 05-17-2019 at 01:57 AM.

Extraordinary Member

To be honest, I've never been a fan fo the idea of Joker having a sympathetic backstory myself, and I'm cool on The Killing Joke overall: its a great Joker monologue in a so-so story where the biggest event was glossed over and only redeemed by John Ostrander later.

However, I understand the appeal of Joker being a victimized innocent gone bad in a tragic manner.

So I guess my preferred Joker Origin combines a bunch of Zero Year's ideas with a "wild card" element. Think of it this way:

- The Red Hood Gang does the Axis Chemicals attack like in Zero Year, but there's 3 missing gang members who could all be the guy who ends up in the Red Hood boss's outfit and jumping into the chemicals when confronted by Batman. They are:

1. One poor blackmailed schmuck, like in The Killing Joke, so you can imagine tragedy if that's your thing.

2. The Red Hood boss leader, so if you want the arch-criminal to already be an arch criminal, you can get that. Think more like the "Sonny" story that Paul Dini went with in Batman: Black and White plus Streets of Gotham as well as Snyder's ideas.

3. A simple, petty crook with a gun. This would be the option for the person who maybe wants the Joker to begin as a Joe Chill parallel, and thus as the ultimate "nobody to nightmare."
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Technically it's a chemical bath, not an acid one. Acid wouldn't make him chalk white so much as red and messy...
    Chemical bath - Joker

Acid bath - Two Face

I'm not sure what origin I preferred

Astonishing Member

220px-Batman_mask_of_the_phantasm_poster.jpg

I mix and match in my head and also frankly just have totally my own concepts that I believe must be the case but shouldn't ever really be showcased.

But this is a big one.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by jb681131 View Post
    Question, what to you find so great in this Story ?
    Because I find it very dull and overated.

Is it because it's by Alan Moore that people sayd it was excellently awsome. Then everyone suggested it to everyone saying it's the best. Then you believed it's the best. Even if it isn't the best you still thing it's the best ?

The Man Who Laughs for exemple is way better. But because it's not by Alan Moore, I thing very few people have read it and can't compare something of quality against Moore's story.
    I thought the pre-Joker was a sharp contrast to the Joker and I really liked that aspect of the story.

Killing Joke is definitely overrated, mainly for the reasons Alan Moore himself says it is not really that great. But the 'we are the same' motif has become kind of central to the Joker now so it is kind of definitive in the way it stages that - only, as Moore himself says, it really isn't as profound or meaningful as people make it out to be? The joke at the end is good though like.

Incredible Member Master Planner's Avatar

My personal fanmade origin is that Joker was a very talented thief and criminal, but grew bored without having a challenge. Batman's appearence inspired him to don the Red Hood guise and the rest are history.
    " I am Loki Scar-Lip, Loki Skywalker, Loki Giant's Child, Loki Lie-Smith. I am Loki, who is fire and wit and hate. I am Loki. And I will be under an obligation to no one."

Previously known as Nefarius