Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Coming back to X-Men and I need some guidance.

Hello folks!!

I don't post here much because I haven't been reading X-Men comics for a while. Now that a Hickman run is imminent I'm jumping back in. So I'm looking to understand what I need to pick up to fill the gap since I quit collecting. I stopped around the time that Kitty was leading the X-Men from central park and the time displaced X-Men were kicking around with Jimmy Hudson from the ultimate universe. So, what trade paperbacks do I need to pick up to fill the gap? I see there's Uncanny X-Men: Disassembled and X-Men: Red and I also see that Wolverine came back. Can someone give me a list of what tpb's to get and in what order to read them? I apologize if that is an unreasonable request and I appreciate any help that can be offered.

Thanks,
    -Odd Rödney.
    Last edited by Odd Rödney; 02-18-2021 at 02:53 PM.
    "Kids don't care **** about superhero comic books. And if they do, they probably start with manga, with One Punch-Man or My Hero Academia. " -ImOctavius.

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Rödney View Post
    Hello folks!!

I don't post here much because I haven't been reading X-Men comics for a while. Now that a Hickman run is imminent I'm jumping back in. So I'm looking to understand what I need to pick up to fill the gap since I quit collecting. I stopped around the time that Kitty was leading the X-Men from central park and the time displaced X-Men were kicking around with Jimmy Hudson from the ultimate universe. So, what trade paperbacks do I need to pick up to fill the gap? I see there's Uncanny X-Men: Disassembled and X-Men: Red and I also see that Wolverine came back. Can someone give me a list of what tpb's to get and in what order to read them? I apologize if that is an unreasonable request and I appreciate any help that can be offered.

Thanks,
    -Odd Rödney.
    Hello there! You could collect Disassembled (extremely mixed reviews out there but it's important for "catching up") and then decide if you want to venture into Age of X-Man titles, which Disassembled leads into. The current Uncanny run also comes from Disassembled so I would suggest picking those up as I'm a fan. If you're interested in the time displaced originals and what happened to them, pick up the Extermination mini. I found that story to be wonderful. That then leads into the current X-Force book. I didn't read Return of Wolverine, I just waited for him to show up in Uncanny after Disassembled.

So you have Uncanny, X-Force, and the Age of X-Man (there are others but this would be the core) titles currently running that will all end to bring in Hickman in a few months.

And you don't have to read X-Men: Red to necessarily be caught up but it highlights Jean's return/team and is one of the best runs I've ever read. Hope this helps!
    Last edited by JB; 05-16-2019 at 12:43 PM.

Don't come back! That is my advice.
    It's hard for me to listen to someone not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.

Hi Odd Rodney

Not to be blunt but Marvel really isn't about keeping much of anything together with continuity these days. (especially with the X-Men)

You can probably just pick up the latest run of Uncanny X-Men and be fine.

The last run of Uncanny might have some influence as well, but I doubt it. There has already been an announcement that Hickmans run is a REBOOT of sorts so if I where you...I would save my money and do a few wiki searches and you will be all caught up. None of what you missed would be considered memorable or notable in terms of storytelling.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Hello folks!!

Thanks,
    -Odd Rödney.
    If you were a fan of those you can pick up the X-Men Gold and Blue trades.

Blue crosses over with Venom which leads to Venomized if you're interested.

For Wolverine's return, just read Return of Wolverine issues (not sure if the TPB) is out since nothing happens in the Hunt for Wolverine books that came out.

The time displaced O5 go away in Extermination.

Only pick up UXM: Disassembled if you're planning to read Age of X-Man.
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    The last run of Uncanny might have some influence as well, but I doubt it. There has already been an announcement that Hickmans run is a REBOOT of sorts so if I where you...I would save my money and do a few wiki searches and you will be all caught up. None of what you missed would be considered memorable or notable in terms of storytelling.
    Since the "reboot" idea has been going around a lot, here's something from C.B. Cebulski on Twitter:

LarrysComics.net:
    So. @Marvel is basically saying every X book on the shelves right now is a dead man walking? The last issues of a soon to be cast aside narrative.
    That’s. Great. Marketing.

C.B:
    Not at all what we are saying, Larry, We have made very clear over the last two days that every X-Men comic we're currently publishing is a part of the master plan as we build towards HoX & PoX. It all counts. It all adds to the larger story. The X-Men mythos continue to grow.

So if you're looking to catch up, it wouldn't be for nothing, as it seems much of what will happen at the end of the current runs will help lead into Hickman.

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

I agree with DragonsChi
    You could read the current run of Uncanny. I would probably throw in X-Force and the X-Men Black One-shots as well.

After those, the Marvel wiki would be enough for arc summaries & individual characters you wanna catch up on.

Because Hickman is coming to do some stabilizing / damage control to franchise but that won't start until Jul. 24th with House of X #1.
    Last edited by Silver Fang; 05-16-2019 at 12:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    Since the "reboot" idea has been going around a lot, here's something from C.B. Cebulski on Twitter:

LarrysComics.net:
    So. @Marvel is basically saying every X book on the shelves right now is a dead man walking? The last issues of a soon to be cast aside narrative.

C.B:
    Not at all what we are saying, Larry, We have made very clear over the last two days that every X-Men comic we're currently publishing is a part of the master plan as we build towards HoX & PoX. It all counts. It all adds to the larger story. The X-Men mythos continue to grow.

So if you're looking to catch up, it wouldn't be for nothing, as it seems much of what will happen at the end of the current runs will help lead into Hickman.
    If you still have books to sell and a news outlet let out the term "Reboot" wouldn't you do everything in your power to pretend that the stuff you are trying to sell is important to read so .... it still gets sold?

Odd Rodney flip through the current stuff if you can and see if you actually want to spend your money on it.

But if you are really cautions about where your money goes Remember back to when Hickman was on FF and Avengers. Did those runs play into anything that was going on before really? There's your answer.
    Last edited by DragonsChi; 05-16-2019 at 01:20 PM.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post

LarrysComics.net:

C.B:

Ughh.....Jean/Bishop is still a thing?

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

Hello folks!!

Thanks,
    -Odd Rödney.
    Honestly, keep waiting until Hickman's Launch. I dropped the X-Titles the same time you did and started reading when Cyclops returned. At the moment its not worth recommending.

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla2099 View Post
    Honestly, keep waiting until Hickman's Launch. I dropped the X-Titles the same time you did and started reading when Cyclops returned. At the moment its not worth recommending.
    This is my advice as well.

Mighty Member

Hello folks!!

Thanks,
    -Odd Rödney.
    I recommend jumping back in with Hickman's upcoming relaunch this July. He's taking the franchise in a different direction, and it's unlikely any of the current storylines will continue.

Yeah don't bother with anything before Hickman.

BANNED

Just skip Disassembled and Age of X-Men, they aren't anything worthwhile to read.

Read the current Rosenberg's run from UXM #11 onwards because that affects the status quo of return of Wolvie, Scott and the deaths of several 4 X-Men.

Technically since you know most of the characters you could just wait till July and jump in with HoX/PoX. Those books are going to reset the franchise and are meant to be a jumping in point anyway. They have already stated that there is going to be a lot of flashbacks in HoX/PoX exploring how past events have lead up to HoX/PoX. At this point I think they are planning a massive franchise cleanup, a lot of characters are going to be killed off. They are probably planning how to clean slate the franchise to prepare for future movies. Some of the characters that involve complex histories will probably be eliminated entirely. Nightcrawler's daughter, Rachel Summers, etc... Any character that has a difficult to explain history will probably be written out to simplify the franchise.