Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Into the Badlands

Sorry if there's already a thread on this, but I couldn't find it.

Anyway, after posting in the I don't want an Asian Iron Fist thread of what turned me off of this programme (among other things), I decided to give it a chance.

Okay, so the "boy" - thankfully - is NOT a boy, as in either a Babycart Assassin rip-off or annoying child actor for us to suffer sense, but is a teenager on the verge of manhood.

The premise is pretty daft but gives the excuse to use martial arts, so I'll forgive it; Revolution got away with a pretty stupid premise in order to have an American Civil War era look, with cutlasses and crap... but then, we all know how well that programme went down.

So, in the pilot, Daniel Wu's character is less of a Ryu and more of a lapdog. I'm not sure which is best or why he puts his sword down in the beginning if he plans on killing everyone anyway, but the wire-fu is okay, even if it doesn't offer anything new, and him being almost super-human with his wuxia pien stuff is kind of retarded, given that the "boy" is the one with the apparent super-human martial arts. Seriously, the only difference between them is that the "boy's" eyes glaze over...

The actress playing The Widow is super hot(!), which is always welcome, even if such an attitude limits roles for less attractive women (so go on, girls, call me a bigot...), and, well, that's about all there to it. A lot of sword fights, CGI blood mixed with fake blood that somehow works, and the promise of more action to come.

Not the best programme ever made, but worth checking out for another couple of episodes to see if the writing keeps me engaged.

Anyone else like to chime in?

I've been watching, and I will give them the "no guns" premise. Though the world seems way to small,with all the barons living within a hour of each other. The reason for the show is the fight scenes, and they have been very good. But I dislike ALL the characters, Sonny is a lapdog. The Baron and Widow (yes,very hot) are sociopaths. The Boy is a weak actor. They need to change up the story from the Baron rivalry (and really, who cares who wins)

I thought it was dog **** and gave up after the first episode.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by saul_on_the_road_to_damascus View Post
    I thought it was dog **** and gave up after the first episode.
    I agree. Complete crap. I resent AMC for making me sit through it so I don't miss the Walking Dead sneak previews they hide inside this turd nugget.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Hopkins View Post
    I agree. Complete crap. I resent AMC for making me sit through it so I don't miss the Walking Dead sneak previews they hide inside this turd nugget.
    You saying they hide a turd inside a turd?

I made a topic a few weeks ago but nobody responded lol

Anyways, I like this show. It's not the best script but the action more than makes up for any weaknesses, imo.

I don't love it but I don't hate it either. At least it is a nice twist up from the same old same old that Walking Dead has become.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by simbob4000 View Post
    You saying they hide a turd inside a turd?
    Not a fan, I see.

BANNED

My wife and I have enjoyed it. No, its not high art, but it is a damn site better than some Kung Fu fair, and the fighting is quite good. I miss Martial Arts on the small (relatively speaking) screen. I hope it sticks around, despite those who gave up on it after only an episode or three. Some shows are great right from the beginning, others take a bit of time to develop.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Clark View Post
    My wife and I have enjoyed it. No, its not high art, but it is a damn site better than some Kung Fu fair, and the fighting is quite good. I miss Martial Arts on the small (relatively speaking) screen. I hope it sticks around, despite those who gave up on it after only an episode or three. Some shows are great right from the beginning, others take a bit of time to develop.
    You mean the tv show Kung Fu?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by simbob4000 View Post
    You mean the tv show Kung Fu?
    No, I mean general Kung Fu cinema.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Clark View Post
    No, I mean general Kung Fu cinema.
    Oh, well, that sounds insane.

BANNED

How so? I didn't say all or even most, just better than some of the '70's and '80's "choppy socky" craptacular kung fu stuff. There were a lot of bad movies then trying to cash in on the Martial Arts explosion started by Bruce Lee.

The Widow woulda made an awesome Black Widow in the Marvel movies.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by edhopper View Post
    I've been watching, and I will give them the "no guns" premise. Though the world seems way to small,with all the barons living within a hour of each other. The reason for the show is the fight scenes, and they have been very good. But I dislike ALL the characters, Sonny is a lapdog. The Baron and Widow (yes,very hot) are sociopaths. The Boy is a weak actor. They need to change up the story from the Baron rivalry (and really, who cares who wins)
    How is the Widow a sociopath? She allowed her regent to retire despite the fact that he stole from her, she didn't kill Tilda when said soldier questioned her in front of her troops and her attempt on Ryder's life was fairly surgical. The worse she's done is 'allow' one of the Nomads to take Tilda, if he could beat her (and Widow knew Tilda would win)

I mean, yeah I'm sure she'll kick a dog in regards to MK eventually, but at the moment, in the setting, she could pass for a freakin' saint.