Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Big Bang Thoery Finale - Does the elevator get fixed tonight?

One of two questions we may see answered tonight? Does the Elevator get fixed, and will we find out Penny's maiden name?

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

I hope they don't do future time jumps and all. That has became over done and all. Just be a normal episode where something happens surprising (Penny gets pregnant etc).
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Elevator should be shown as always working and somebody knew the whole time ...
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

I'm generally not a sitcom guy, but out of all of them I've ever been into, this was my favorite finale.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

I half expected once they won the Nobel Prize, Amy got the makeover and the elevator was working, to see Sheldon wake up and it was all a dream.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

The finale was fine and very touching, but the last minute of Young Sheldon moved me even more.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Yes young Sheldon ending was great.

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

It was the right way to go out. It felt natural, like a season finale more than a series finale. No gimmicks, major twists or finale-specific life events (death, moving, dreams, etc.). Other than SMG, it was the main cast and familiar secondary characters. I felt like Raj got screwed, but as I thought about it, most of his developments happened throughout the series, so him finding love at the last minute would have probably been unearned.

And I agree that the Young Sheldon moment was really nice.

So Penny's maiden name will forever be one of the great mysteries of life.

Quote Originally Posted by useridgoeshere View Post
    It was the right way to go out. It felt natural, like a season finale more than a series finale. No gimmicks, major twists or finale-specific life events (death, moving, dreams, etc.). Other than SMG, it was the main cast and familiar secondary characters. I felt like Raj got screwed, but as I thought about it, most of his developments happened throughout the series, so him finding love at the last minute would have probably been unearned.
    I am reminded of the Seinfeld finale. Everyone went to prison. All the familiar faces were back to testify against them at the trial as to what terrible people they were. When we last see them they are in a jail cell.
    Where as the kids of TBBT went to Sweden to attend the Nobel Prize ceremony and when we last see them they are gathered on the sofa eating Chinese food.

They left the finale open in a sense because who knows if Parson will eventually in a few years decides he may want to return to the role. It made sense to not do a drastic changing deal. Beyond fixing the elevator deal , this was a good finale to leave the characters in a spot and then bring em back. Since TV revivals are always in now. (as Conner's and Will & Grace shows us)
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.

I've never watched Big Bang Theory in the 12 seasons it was on. I would see the first minute or two of an episode over the years when Supergirl was on after it and forgot that Supergirl started at 8:30. Just didn't think it was funny at all, but with all the comics imagery in it, I can see why comics fans would watch it.

Anyway, I do like to watch series finales of long-running hit shows even if I've never watched the series or gave up on it years before it ended (like Home Improvement).

All that being said, I liked it. I didn't love it, of course, because these characters mean nothing to me, but it didn't irritate me the way the clips I had previously seen did.

Quote Originally Posted by useridgoeshere
    It was the right way to go out. It felt natural, like a season finale more than a series finale. No gimmicks, major twists or finale-specific life events (death, moving, dreams, etc.).
    This is what it felt like to me, too. Winning the Nobel was obviously the culmination of an ongoing storyline, but really this could have been any episode in the series, I would think. I'm just glad they didn't do a "stuck in the elevator" thing in this episode. I think they wanted us to think that that's the way it was going to go.

I hope the fans that have been watching for the last 12 seasons felt rewarded by how it all turned out.

It's interesting to me as to how the landscape of network television has changed so dramatically. While the pre-DVR ratings for the finale were ok (18.52 million viewers), they weren't the highest rated episodes of the series as series finales of long-running hits often were. Still, it seems it was the highest rated episode since Season 7.

But, I guess the glory days of watershed-moment finales are really over. As you can see in the list below, it's been shrinking year-by-year since the 1990s.

Cheers, May 1993 - 80.4 million viewers
    Seinfeld, May 1998 - 76.3 million
    Friends, May 2004 - 52.46 million
    Frasier, May 2004 - 33.7 million
    Everybody Loves Raymond, May 2005 - 32.9 million
    Big Bang Theory, May 2019 - 18.52 million

Still, I think it was the highest rated sitcom series finale in quite a while. How I Met Your Mother's finale only had 13.3 million viewers back in March 2014.

Now that Big Bang Theory is gone, I don't think there are really any other sitcoms out there that have this kind of following, so expect series finale ratings to get even worse.
    Last edited by Comic-Reader Lad; 05-19-2019 at 09:50 AM.

Sooooo....did they fix the elevator?

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    Still, I think it was the highest rated sitcom series finale in quite a while. How I Met Your Mother's finale only had 13.3 million viewers back in March 2014.
    That's because so many fans couldn't make it through that awful final season.

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    Sooooo....did they fix the elevator?
    Yep...which surprised Penny.

Retired

"They" didn't fix the elevator. All we know is it was working at the beginning of the episode. What mysterious force fixed the elevator? That will have to be one of those unanswered questions.

I always felt that Sheldon was on the spectrum--even though the show never admitted it. And from that perspective, it made no sense that the other characters would get mad at Sheldon for being how he was. Anymore than it made sense that Bones got upset with Spock for being Vulcan. Or that Stottlemeyer got upset with Monk for being how he was.

It's about acceptance and love. Great that Sheldon was able to deal with how he was born and still be a good person, to the extent that he could be. But it's wrong to expect him to be something he's not. That's like getting mad at a blind person because they can't see.

Since the Nobel Prizes require the recipients to give a lecture, I wonder how Amy and Sheldon dealt with that. And what about all the other things involved with the prize, like the banquets? And how did Sara Michelle Gellar score an invitation to the event? The IMDb credits say that was the King of Sweden giving out the medals, but not the actual King Carl, just an actor.