Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Default What went wrong with X Men Apocalypse?

I think the villain was handled OK in the movie, but he is such a big archnemesis of X-Men which require far much more setup than just one post credit scene showing his young age. At least a trilogy is needed to set him up.

Also I really wish to see Mr Sinister.
    Last edited by Slowpokeking; 05-16-2019 at 06:13 PM.

Extraordinary Member Divine Spark's Avatar

Actually, Apocalypse is just the Sabertooth of the Summers family. He’s generally their archnemesis rather than the X-Men as a whole.

Incredible Member

They went to the magneto well one too many times. He felt like Charlie Brown where the universe really does pick on him and then he probably ended up killing up a sizable chunk of the population (as opposed to using an asteroid pulled to earth that could be called off and setup asteroid m/avalon in future stories).

the x-men cast was a great setup, but the next movie needed to be a goonie like adventure instead of another big bad.

It started as strong as all x-men movies, but it almost needed an apocalypse setup movie to use him properly.

In my opinion nothing really it had a few problems like all movies but nothing I can't look past. The real reason people probably over look it is because by that time the MCU had over shadowd pretty much all other CBM they are the gold standard and all.

I think it was just too much. The movie was too long, with too many plots and too many characters. Plus a lot of the characters just weren't all that engaging, the main villain in particular. They could have literally hired anyone for the role since he was so freaking flat.

Some of the newer characters seemed to have juice, but I think some of the characters who have been doing these for awhile, like Lawrence seemed like they were just coasting through the movie. Not that they had a whole lot to work with anyways.

The probably should have built up Apocalyse for several films, and streamlined the cast so that characters weren't taking up space just kind of being there. I liked Mystique and Magneto and I understand their star power probably helps the film, but it seemed like their stories were basically done and they were just there to be there.

For the record, I don't consider this a TERRIBLE film. But it's pretty forgettable.

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

I personally think Apocalypse was the best of the X-Men Movies. It was far from perfect but we all had a good time watching it. It had some great moments

I found it far more enjoyable than some of the other Marvel Movies

Overall, I think Apocalypse was underrated

The Hopeless Horsemen

Extraordinary Member Divine Spark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post

The Hopeless Horsemen
    That guy doesn’t really understand the comic version of Apocalypse.
    Last edited by Divine Spark; 05-17-2019 at 07:56 AM.

I liked the movie. I couldn't not like a movie with Scott, Jean and Kurt together on film.

The worst parts are Mystique's plot (since First Class, actually). And the Horsemen didn't add much to the story for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla2099 View Post
    I personally think Apocalypse was the best of the X-Men Movies. It was far from perfect but we all had a good time watching it. It had some great moments

I found it far more enjoyable than some of the other Marvel Movies

Overall, I think Apocalypse was underrated
    I enjoyed it well enough, but I wouldn't agree it's anywhere near the best. X-Men 2 or Days of Future Past are much better films.

Fair enough on personal preference though.
    Currently Reading
    Immortal Hulk | Avengers | Thanos | Cosmic Ghost Rider | Darth Vader: Dark Visions | Guardians of the Galaxy | Fantastic Four
    Justice League | DCeased | The Batman Who Laughs | Green Lantern | Heroes in Crisis | Doomsday Clock | Last Knight on Earth
    Aliens: Rescue | Invisible Kingdom

I enjoyed Apocaplypse well enough but the problems with it are the same as the problems with the whole franchise as a whole. You just have to not think about the problems which is hard to do at times.

After the Last Stand and Wolverine Origin's debacle they rebooted with First Class (a decent but highly overrated film) and made the idiotic mistake of putting it in the same universe as the original trilogy. Beyond the obvious problems of how no one ages it caused so many many plot holes and continuity problems that cannot be waved away by saying Days of Future Past reset the timeline as DoFP only changed things from 1973 forward and characters who already existed were not changed. It made a confusing mess of things.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozman79 View Post
    I enjoyed it well enough, but I wouldn't agree it's anywhere near the best. X-Men 2 or Days of Future Past are much better films.

Fair enough on personal preference though.
    Yeah, I'd say it's sort of in the middle of the pack. Miles above Last Stand, but nowhere near as good as Days of Future Past. Funny how the second movie in the X-Men trilogies always seem to be the best, while the third arguably seems to be the worst.

Though I suppose the Wolverine movies broke that pattern. Each one seemed to get a bit better.

I liked it, but I think it did meander a bit, didn't have a clear character focus (some parts put the older X-Men front and center, then there are scenes with the younger ones as the main characters), and the villain, in terms of motivation and characterization, wasn't that compelling, esp. in comparison to the best of the MCU ones.

I do think there were some good acting and a lot of the characters were at least memorable, and it had a really good opening and a good final battle, and I'm sorry if it was not needed, but I loved the Wolverine cameo.

My take, anyways.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by The Shape View Post
    That guy doesn’t really understand the comic version of Apocalypse.
    As if any of the Fox movies understand their source material.

Personally I didn't find the villain to be engaging nor did I really get connected to his goals. It just seemed like there was a lot more to him that you needed to know but would only know if you read the comics, which is bad filmmaking.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.