Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
    I think the villain was handled OK in the movie, but he is such a big archnemesis of X-Men which require far much more setup than just one post credit scene showing his young age. At least a trilogy is needed to set him up.

Also I really wish to see Mr Sinister.
    Nothing went wrong with the movie. Nothing. It was EPIC, brilliant and "comic-bookish" (in a positive way) from start to finish. It has been the most faithful and perfect X-Men movie we got so far.
    Also, I absolutely loved the "CRONENBERGESQUE" take on Apocalypse/En Sabah Nur, he felt so mysterious and menacing but also a "sci-fi creature".

The action pieces were impressive and powerful. The final fight was magnificent and the ending very thrilling.

The movie is a 10/10, the criticism is pointless and beyond me.

I think the problem with the X-Men movies in general is they keep using Magneto. He doesn't need to be an antagonist in EVERY movie- either make him a part of the X-Men, or don't use him at all.

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

This is one of my favorite X-Men movies because it was about the X-Men instead of just Wolverine...

BANNED

Had it focused on the young team and not been another Mystique/Mags/Prof/Beast rerun it would've been a lot better.

It felt like a retread because it basically was.

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    I think the problem with the X-Men movies in general is they keep using Magneto. He doesn't need to be an antagonist in EVERY movie- either make him a part of the X-Men, or don't use him at all.
    I agree with this. Magneto is way, way over used.

And somehow while they have done a solid job I dont think Magneto has been nailed right anyway. I think Mckellen nailed the regalness but none of the physicality and Fassbender the exact opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by BatKeaton View Post
    Nothing went wrong with the movie. Nothing. It was EPIC, brilliant and "comic-bookish" (in a positive way) from start to finish. It has been the most faithful and perfect X-Men movie we got so far.
    Also, I absolutely loved the "CRONENBERGESQUE" take on Apocalypse/En Sabah Nur, he felt so mysterious and menacing but also a "sci-fi creature".

The action pieces were impressive and powerful. The final fight was magnificent and the ending very thrilling.

The movie is a 10/10, the criticism is pointless and beyond me.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I have said for a long time that Singer and Kinberg never really wanted to do X-Men movies. They wanted to do Xavier and Magneto movies. I really think if Fox would have let them you would have never even seen the X-Men show up and it would instead been all Charles vs Eric.

Spectacular Member

Singer is attempting to compete with The Avengers and just isn't up to snuff. It's a generic blockbuster about an end of the world plot and a boring villain, going through the X-Men movie motions without any flair.

Quote Originally Posted by EsotericFailures View Post
    Singer is attempting to compete with The Avengers and just isn't up to snuff. It's a generic blockbuster about an end of the world plot and a boring villain, going through the X-Men movie motions without any flair.
    For what it's worth, I thought Days of Future Past was pretty cool. But he couldn't replicate the same level of epicness with Apocalyse for whatever reason.

Extraordinary Member

I really enjoyed it Apoc is probably my fave X villain. I think it was better than X3 maybe I'll have to rewatch to be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    I really enjoyed it Apoc is probably my fave X villain. I think it was better than X3 maybe I'll have to rewatch to be sure.
    In the least yeah... it was better than X3.

THat's the upside of Fox makng X3 ... anytime they have a critical or commercial flop for any future X movies, they can at least say: "Hey, at least it was better than X3."

The Wolverine stuff was unneeded.

Mystique does NOT need to be a hero, much less the one that everybody else looks up to, much even LESS one who tries to hide who she is.

Apocalypse was a poorly defined villain in both powers and motive. He was also poorly design visually.

We got to see Magneto learn to hate humans AGAIN and struggle with whether he was a bad guy or not AGAIN.

Angel, Psylocke, and Storm... were horsemen... for some reason. They really didn't have personalities.

What kid of X-men team has Jubilee as a member before they have Cyclops?

The movie never really established who it's "hero" was. For a while it seemed like it was going to be Cyclops as he came to the school, joined the team, and adjusted to how things where, but that went nowhere. He also never really felt like Cyclops to me. He was too much of a cool rebel.

Phoenix outta nowhere!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    In the least yeah... it was better than X3.

THat's the upside of Fox makng X3 ... anytime they have a critical or commercial flop for any future X movies, they can at least say: "Hey, at least it was better than X3."
    Effed up thing is it's the largest grosser in the franchise outside of the Deadpool movies. lol

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    For what it's worth, I thought Days of Future Past was pretty cool. But he couldn't replicate the same level of epicness with Apocalyse for whatever reason.
    Singer was too focused on highlights over cohesive story-telling IMO. When you look at successful comic book franchises like Nolan's Batman or Feige's MCU - they know what they are building to and the arc they want to tell. They know who fits as a villain to tell that story and how to get the heroes from their start to their finish. They know the emotional beats they want to emphasize.

The XCU has seriously struggled with that in almost every movie. So instead they retread the same stories over and over again because there is no plan for their progression. They just climb on the wheel every movie and repeat the same beats over and over again. Apocalypse was the quintessential example of that. It wasn't the tire fire that X3 was, it was a culmination of decades of poor planning and retread stories.